Mazda MX-3 and Mazda MX-6 These two sporty models have become popular cars for import tuners due to the availability of parts, the low price, and the smooth lines.

Blower motor resistor insulation fell off

Old 07-01-2012, 01:53 PM
Zoe
Default Blower motor resistor insulation fell off

Here's the long version: When my beloved 1988 MX-6 DX died after 14 years of faithful service, I was lucky enough to stumble upon 1989 DX in really good condition for a song. It did need some work, and fortunately I was able to use the old car for parts. One thing that wasn't working was the infamous blower motor resistor problem, of which I was oblivious cuz it had always worked in the older car. So I paid some guy $220 to take the switch out of the old car and put it into the new one. Yes, I know, I got bent over... and am only realizing it now that I see how easy it is to change this part out. He didn't even bother to use lube as he should've installed a new part and not an old one. Anyhow, I digress...

Needless to say, the old part, being old and all, eventually broke as well. And speaking of being broke, I was not able to afford to get bent over again, so I Googled and, lo and behold, it was something that even I could fix. Unfortunately, I bought the cheap Four Seasons product instead of the OEM part. As I was installing it today, some of the insulation fell off. It still works but I'm now concerned that it may start a fire or something, since those little coils heat up. Any input?

TIA

Here are some photos. The top one is the actual part side view. And the bottom one is a top view of the one for newer models, but you can see the insulation over the wires.

Attached Thumbnails Blower motor resistor insulation fell off-fs20150_is.jpg   Blower motor resistor insulation fell off-fs20149_1.jpg