Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

2004 mpv lx miss when warmed up

Old 03-30-2019, 11:49 PM
Default 2004 mpv lx miss when warmed up

I am new to the forum mainly joined cause I own two Mazdas that require work. My girlfriends mpv likes to miss once it is warmed up. It will drive without losing power but will idle low. It does have the 3.0 6cyl. I was going to go ahead and redo the spark plugs and see how that does. Any other suggestions I would love to take them

Old 04-22-2019, 05:40 PM

It's most likely the coils. It's a known issue and probably one of the most common repairs for the MPV. It's the ONLY real engine issue I've had on my MPV. You'll feel an occasional hiccup as you accelerate or cruise, and it will get progressively worse over time. Eventually it will throw an engine code to the OBD2 computer and light your check engine dash light. I waited for that to happen, then used a cheap bluetooth code reader and the "torque" app on my smart phone to diagnose the check engine code. I found out it was misfiring at the #4 cylinder (unfortunately on the back side of the engine). The coils sit on top of the spark plugs and they are expensive from the dealer. I bought a replacement set of 3 for about $38 on Ebay.

Replacing the coils is very easy, BUT getting to the rear coils is very difficult. You have to remove the intake manifold to access the rear spark plugs/coils (a major hassle). There are several guides online if you google "MPV coil replacement". The MPVclub forum, Mazdaforum, and 247Mazda forum all have threads about it. I only bought a pack of 3 coils because I knew only one of the coils was acting up, but since it's so hard to access the rear spark plugs, I replaced all 3 of them. I saved the 2 other still working coils and ended up using them to replace coils on the front side of the engine when they eventually failed. The front side is very easy to access and the replacement on that side is literally a 5 minute job.