Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

engine misfire again

Old 07-07-2007, 04:19 PM
Default engine misfire again

I have a 2004 MPV and thiswill bethefourth time I have had to bring it in to get serviced. The check engine light is on and flashing and it is idleing very low and feels like it is skipping in the shifting. Each time that I took it in it was a different iginition coil. The van now of course is out of warranty, having 55,000 miles.
Has anyone else heard of this problem on the MPV happening so many times.

Old 07-07-2007, 04:45 PM
Default RE: engine misfire again

Failing ignition coils is not at all uncommon on the 2002 and later MPV. The original coils have a poor design and sealing between the housing. Supposedly this allows moisture to get inside and short out the coil. If you were to take a look at the coils there are a series of letters and numbers imprinted on the top. Original coils will have the last two letters being AA. The updated and latest design coils will have last two letters being AC. Since this is your fourth time for this I sure hope that the three coils that have been installed so far have been placed in the back so the intake manifold will not have to be removed again. This should have been done if repair tech had any common sense.

Old 07-07-2007, 11:38 PM

All three in the back have been replaced, so they say. I am hoping on Monday the dealershipcan look at it and hopefully it is not the back ones again and it can be done fairly quickly. thanks, I will have to look at the stamp of the coils.

Old 07-07-2007, 11:57 PM

If all three in the back have been replaced then is very unlikely that one has failed again. Have not had any problems using the updated coils. If a back side coil is again being diagnosed as the problem then make sure yourself that all three of the rear coils have the AC designation even if it means moving an update coil from the front bank to the back. Replacing a front coil is about a 5 minute job so is easy for them to say rear coil again and get the extra 2 hours labor to replace a "phantom" back coil. Just be aware of this hfont. Eventually they are all going to go out so that is why I advised to just replace the remaining few while is at the shop. They are not exactly cheap but am sure you are probably also being charged diagnostic time for each event from now on so an overall replace of the set should eliminate this from occuring over and over.
If you are certain that all three rear coils have been replaced and they are again saying a rear coil is at fault then ask to see a copy printout of the Mode 6 On board diagnostic taken from IDS. If a rear coil is indeed at fault then at the very bottom of the printout page will be missfire monitoring results for cylinders 1-6. The upper number for each cylindre will be for the last 10 drive cycles and lower number will be for current drive cycle. If there are any missfire numbers other than zero in 1-3 cylinder then the miss is in the back row of cylinder that would require intake removal. If the missfires are only being shown in cylinders 4-6 then miss is from the front row of cylinders that are super easy to access