Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

spark plugs driping with oil!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 04:59 PM
Default spark plugs driping with oil!

whats up guys, well i have a problem again, i have been throwing code 0325 (knock sensor circuit malfunction) well i figured well i have to change the sensor, well i went to change my spark plugs and wires and when i pulled them out they were drenched in oil....driping with oil to be exact....then i knew i must have been misfiring and thought thats why the knock code would kick on cause it would detect knock. Well ichanged them and then it went awayfor abouttwo days and then theCELkicked back on....now im thinking the oil might be coming from the valve cover gaskets, they might be bad...maybe someone can give me another opinion.

Old 01-18-2007, 09:35 PM
Default RE: spark plugs driping with oil!

Definitely sounds like valve cover gaskets leaking T-bird. That is really the only way oil can get into the spark plug wells. Doubtful that it is causing the knock sensor code. Have done a bunch of knock sensors on the 2.5 milly. There is even a TSB and an updated sensor. Seems that water is getting into the sensor and shorting them out. Below is a part of the TSB along with some part numbers. You will be pulling the upper intake assembly off to replace so would be fine time to take care of those leaking valve covers as well.

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS
All 1997-2002 Millenia with (KL) engine
DESCRIPTION
Some vehicles may exhibit MIL illumination with DTC P0325 stored in memory. This may be caused by water intrusion into the knock sensor element, which may result in momentarily lowered resistance.
NOTE: This concern is more likely to occur with a one-pin terminal knock sensor.
A Knock Sensor Kit (with a two-pin terminal knock sensor) is available to correct this condition.
Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following procedure.[align=center][/align]
REPAIR PROCEDURE

[blockquote]1. Verify customer concern.[/blockquote]
[blockquote]2. Unplug the knock sensor connector from the harness.[/blockquote]
[blockquote]3. Inspect the knock sensor terminal to determine if it is a one-pin or two-pin terminal.

[blockquote]
[ul][*]
If a one-pin terminal is found, proceed to Step 4.[*]
If a two-pin terminal is found, the knock sensor is a modified part. Troubleshoot according to the workshop manual.[/ul][/blockquote][/blockquote]
[blockquote]
4. Replace the Knock Sensor with a modified part (from the kit) according to Workshop Manual (section 01-40A)KNOCK SENSOR REPLACEMENT KL.

KLY1-18-S50
Knock Sensor Wiring Kit...qty 1

KL31-13-111A
Gasket, Intake Manifold...qty 2

E301-15-287
Water Bypass O-ring...qty 1

KL01-15-591
Water Pipe O-ring..qty 2
[/blockquote]

Old 01-20-2007, 04:49 PM

Thanks babyheuy for the info....now you think i should do this myself cause im pretty sure i know how to do it....cause i have gotten quotes and they want to charge me over 300 for this. is there anyway you can send me a graph or just tell me if there is anything im going to to come up to while im doing it, cause when i think about it it does not seem to difficult its going to be a long process but it does not look like over 300 bucks. what do i need...i have the intake gaskets and i have both valve cover gaskets and and the silicon i already bought those the costed me 97 dollars but oh well i need them. now i need to find a knock sensor. aight well if you can write me back as soon as possible that would be great. thanks

Old 12-07-2007, 09:22 PM

I finally replaced my Knock sensor after a year(the mil was on when I bought it, dealer said it'e ust the Knock sensor, no big deal.) NO BIG DEAL? My 2.5 feels like a small V8 and my fuel milage has gone up about 4-5 miles per gallon on regular which Mazda sent me a post card to use to prevent carbon build up. I change the oil every 4K and cannot find a drop on the stick.

Old 12-08-2007, 07:18 AM

dunno about the 2.5, but the 2.3 needs a special socket(iirc, it cost me about 40 bucks) to r&r the knock sensor. it is a bit tricky to get at, and a lot of stuff does have to come off. you might check into the special socket, tho.

Old 12-08-2007, 07:58 AM

Hi Keninn, I did cheat, I took a Fluke multimeter to the U-Pick Auto Parts and found a couple of them that were almost already out. I found two of them with about 500,000 ohms between the leads and wrapped the sensor in foam and it works fine. If someone had told me about the fuel mileage increase and power increase I would have thought they were crazy. But now it's like it has a small V-8 and I am getting about 5 miles more to gallon, all on regular grade fuel.