Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

wet ignition coil and spark plugs? + engine light on?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 02:04 AM
Default wet ignition coil and spark plugs? + engine light on?

Hi guys we have a Millenia S 2001, and a few month ago our check engine light turned on.

I've read many posts about this problem and learned that it is fairly common, however none the less we got a firend to use their code scanner to check it for us, and the codes indicate that theres a problem with cylinder 4. So I replaced some new spark plugs to see if that would solve the problem.
However in the process I noticed that parts of the spark plugs and the long "body" part of the ignition coil is wet, coverd with fuel? or perhaps some kind of grease? This is the case for cylinders 1 and 4, while 2 and 6 are dry.

so i want to ask if anyone has any ideas as to

1.what could be the casue for the wetness in these ignition coils and spark plugs

2. how to fix this problem?

3. could this be the cause of the "check engine light" being turned on?

thx in advance

Old 11-22-2009, 08:15 AM

are the coils wet with oil, or just water? if it is oily, like mist, then the valve cover gasket is probably suspect. if just water, then the rubber part of the top of the coil is probably letting air in, and it is condensing when it cools. what i do is clean the wells really good. i use brake cleaner and a lot of rags. then, you can feel inside each well with your finger, and you will feel where the gasket is. take some silicon seal, and rub it into the groove. this will seal the well from the valve cover gasket. when you reinstall the coil, use a small bead of silicon.
coils are a common problem with the 2.3. what you should do is mark the suspect cylinder coil, then move it to another cylinder. if the miss follows, the coil is bad. coils will act normal, then when they get hot, they will miss. plugs should be changed at 60k, and the gap is critical. do NOT use iridiums. go with the factory ngk 3741, they are properly gapped(.7-.8mm). do NOT regap plugs with precious metals tips. avoid anyone who tells you it is ok.