Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

Replace Engine Millenium S

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 07:39 PM
Default Replace Engine Millenium S

I bought a used Milly S a couple of years ago and it hasn't been a good experience. I'm thinking about taking out the Miller Cycle engine and putting a used 2.5 liter from the regular Millenium in. Has anyone done this?

Thanks

Fred

Old 07-25-2011, 06:16 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Fred,
Sorry to hear that, but from what I understand the Miller Cycle can be temperamental, especially if previous owners hadn't kept up the maintainence.

I haven't done this myself, but I know w/almost any modern car you would need the complete harness and ECU in order to begin to make it work.

Others here may be able to help you further. I would just be making a fool of myself, not being that familair w/the car.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:48 AM

yah, apples and oranges. both engine and transmission are different, so you gotta change wire harness, ecu, tcu, exhaust, axles, the list goes on. HUGE job. not worth it. millenias have no resale. way less expensive to fix the problems yourself. if you gotta pay someone to fix them, junk the car. most of the problems are fairly simple to fix, but they are labor intensive. very few shops have ever seen this car, including the dealer. so you will be paying someone to learn how to fix your car, and it wont be cheap.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

WOW!! All I can say about that is, OUCH!!!
I didn't realize it would quite THAT involved.

Ken knows his Millenia, so you can believe what he says about them. 'Sounds like it may be time to go car shopping?

Old 07-26-2011, 06:41 AM

Thanks for the help. I think I'll try to fix it myself. The biggest problem is with the catylitic converters. Aparently one or all three are shot. The one in the rear manifold is aparently causing too much back pressure. It looks like the car was driven with another problem that caused it to melt down. The O2 sensor in that manifold is also bad. I'm tempted to just ream out the cat and replace the O2 sensor and see if it runs better.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:52 AM

you can get cats out of canada for 240 bucks plus shipping. changing them is a bit of a chore, if you dont have a lift, it will be REALLY a chore. especially the rear one. the main cat is not monitored, it never goes bad

Old 07-27-2011, 06:21 AM

Thanks Kenin, the dealer told me the cats were $1000 each

Old 07-27-2011, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by kruer@aolcom
Thanks Kenin, the dealer told me the cats were $1000 each
Mazda Millenia S Manifold Catalytic Converter 97-02 | eBay

if you go dealer, yah. you can ask these guys to send you one with no brick inside, i think it will be even less. lighter, way less heat, more power, better fuel economy. you will have to trick the post cat sensor. oh, and no brick is highly illegal. however, i would find out first WHY the cat died. if you have a fuel problem, it will kill the new cat very quickly