Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

Random stalling and no starting.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 12:56 AM
Smile Random stalling and no starting.

Hello,

I recently purchased a Millenia S. As of now it isn't throwing codes. But it dies at random points while driving and doesn't start for some time after. Some days it will start. Others it won't.

Is there a known issue that causes this? What would you recommend trying to fix it?

The engine doesn't shutter or anything out of the norm. Just dies.

Thanks for reading.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:46 AM
Default try the distributor cap

I just had a prob with mine not cranking and dying. It happened one day after washing engine bay. Anyway I popped off distributor cap and notice small cracks in it. I sprayed WD 40 into the cap and cranked with no prob!!!

Now I am not saying this will fix ya but look under there for the heck of it. Could be losing fire while you are going down the road, Also you can check the spark when it does shut does shut down on you to see if thats the prob. Hope this helps

Old 06-25-2010, 07:26 AM

the miller cycle engine dont have a distributor, it is a cop system. and checking for spark is not a quickie job, it will take about 20 min to pull 1 plug. it does have an ignitor, and since it is a hall effect, it can be damaged by moisture. since there are no codes, i would suspect fuel pump. and them rascals aint cheap, plus you gotta drop the tank to get at it. the only real way to tell would be a fuel pressure test when it wont start, which means tapping into the fuel line, another real pain on this car. i would suggest tapping in right where the fuel filter is.

another possibility is water in the tank. depending on where you get your gas. try a couple bottles of dri-gas, or heet. make sure it is 100% isopropyl. if that cures it, stop getting fuel from mom and pop(cheapo) gas stations. google top tier fuels

Old 06-27-2010, 03:12 AM
Default miller cycle engine?

Hello and thanks for the reply.

Well as far as the spark I simply pulled the plug wire off of the spark plugs and stuck a screwdriver in the end of the plug wire. I then had my friend crank it while I held the screwdriver close to the top of the valve cover. I could clearly see spark this time after I did the WD 40 trick. It then cranked up right away...Well I haven't had any more probs since so I am going to keep the cleaners and water away from the engine bay!!! ahhh....also I don't have the supercharged version

Last edited by boattrash9; 06-27-2010 at 03:13 AM. Reason: Engine update info
Old 06-27-2010, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by boattrash9
Hello and thanks for the reply.

Well as far as the spark I simply pulled the plug wire off of the spark plugs and stuck a screwdriver in the end of the plug wire. I then had my friend crank it while I held the screwdriver close to the top of the valve cover. I could clearly see spark this time after I did the WD 40 trick. It then cranked up right away...Well I haven't had any more probs since so I am going to keep the cleaners and water away from the engine bay!!! ahhh....also I don't have the supercharged version
to get a coil off a spark plug on the 2.3 involves removing the front intercooler. as stated before, the 2.3 is COP(coil on plug) system. entirely different from the antiquated system on the 2.5