Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

Fan blower turns on when car turns off (?)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 04:47 PM
Default Fan blower turns on when car turns off (?)

I have a 2007 CX9 that I love, except for a few weirdo issues that seem to pop up. Last week I parked my car, and as soon as I turned the key to the Off position, the rear blower turned On, blowing at full speed. I took the key out, the blower continued. As soon as I start the car back up, the blower goes off. I experimented with putting rear controls on, off, putting A/C on, turning rear controls to different settings, but that has no effect on this development. It's always the same -- key Off, blower goes On. Thankfully, it stops after a few minutes.

The dealer has never heard of this issue, and after doing research, they say they don't know why this would happen. I went a few days after that with no problems, and tonight it happened again. One of those things that's not always repeatable on command when you bring to the shop.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks!

Old 05-06-2008, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Fan blower turns on when car turns off (?)

Well, I know this may sound like a dumb question... but have you consulted your owners manual?

NEVER take the dealer's word as gospel. They often know less than you do about the little built-ins that modern cars, especially new models, have.
I'm wondering if under certain circumstances the system is designed to come on for a time to... oh I don't know, filter the cabin air? Cool the A/C evaporator, or some-such?
Especially since you state that it runs and then shuts itself off automatically. 'Sounds to me like it may be designed to do that for some reason.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:56 PM

Thanks for the note. I just looked in the manual and nothing jumped out at me. I have had my CX9 for almost a year and a half, and this has never happened throughout that time. Makes me think it's not a planned feature... Good thought though. I was hopeful you had something there...

Old 01-25-2009, 09:08 PM

My Wife has the same problem. At first when she mentioned it I thought she meant the cooling fan under the hood, so I blew it off as normal, and I never saw it when I drove it... Then last night I turned it off and the front fan came on full blast blowing cold air... Turned the car back on and it stopped, turned it off and took the key out and it happened again... After hearing the "see I told you so" from the passsenger seat and a few choice words from me, it took a few iterations of on/off of the car to get it to stop, and wouldn't happen again...
I have a few items I need the dealer to look into before the 36K mile mark, and this will be on the list...

Will post a response, although I can hear it already "Now that shouldn't happen"

Old 03-26-2010, 07:14 PM
Angry

This just started for me today, I have a 2007 CX-9 it has an airbag warning light recall that I brought in today to have seviced. When I got home after picking my car up from the dealer and shut off my care the air blower turned on and you cannot do anything to shut if off. So I turned the care back on the the blower went off, turned the car off and the blower turns on you get the idea. After about a minute or two the blower went off, I tested it again and every time the blower did go off after a minute or so.
This is not an engine cooling fan, it is the air blower inside the compartment of the car, the engine compartment is quiet after I turn the car off.
I called Mazda service to let them know whats happening and that I'm bringing it back in for them to look at but I'm not hopeful that it will be fixed.
I'm not at all happy about bringing my car that was working so perfectly fine in to the dealer for a recall that did not appear to be affecting my car at all and to now actually have a problem!
It's annoying to have to sit in your car for a few minutes to make sure the fan goes off, I do not want my battery to die!
Let you know what they say.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

That is certainly fascinating!!
It sounds like the software they installed to fix the AB problem has a few bugs of its own? But I wouldn't worry about it too much.
It's an inconvenience for sure, but one that can/will be solved, I'm sure.
Keep us posted!! And thanks for signing up.

Last edited by virgin1; 03-26-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:23 PM

I wouldn't have believed it if it had not happened to me and my wife today....several times. Not only thje rear vents but the fronts too. I drove to the nearest dealership and it being Saturday the service department is closed. A salesman came out to see for himself after explaning to him what happened. Well as soon as I turned the key off it didn't do it. Couldn't get it to do it agian to save my life. Started to drive home from out of town, made a stop tried it and it did it again. Made another stop and it didn't do it. Drove home made another stop and nothing. Got home and pulled into garage and then the front blower vents went off. Cycled key and it quite, tried it again and the rears came back on again. FRUSTRATING.....taking it to the dealership on Monday.
Wondering if they run diagnostics on it if it will show anything abnormal?

Old 03-31-2010, 07:58 PM
Default Fan blower turns on when car turns off (?)

I have not been able to make it back to the dealer about the blower yet my dealer is too far away and I need to be at work. In my case the blower turns on every single time I shut off the car. It stays on for one minute though it feels longer. I think they did the wrong recall on my car. Let you know what they say.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:16 PM
Default Fan blower turns on when car turns off

The morning after my final post I arrived at work shut off my car and my car was quiet! The blower did not come on and has been behaving perfectly since. Since I was no longer having the problem I did not go to the dealer, not sure they would have been any help anyway. Happy to have my car in perfect condition again!

Old 04-18-2010, 10:52 AM

We own a 2008 Mazda CX-9 and have experienced the same problem others have posted here. The fan blower turns on when the car turns off. It lasts for about 30-40 seconds. Of course when I take it to the dealer it doesn't do it for them! urrgghhh!! This will happen for about a week and then stop for a while and then out of the clear blue it will start happening again. Does the manufacturer monitor these forums to read about recurring problems with their products?

Quick Reply: Fan blower turns on when car turns off (?)