Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

drive belt replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 06:37 AM
Default drive belt replacement

Hi All

I have a question. I have a 1997 Mazda Millenia S and while drving it, oneof thebelts broke on it. My husbandreplaced the broking generator drive belt and also the oil pump drive belt while in there.Now the car does not want to start.When I try to start it, it turns over and then it just goes down like the battery is dead. Note:I did leave thecar door open and theswith onfor3 hours while he waschanging the belts.CouldI have run the battery down oris itsomethingelse?My husband said it wounds like it is not getting any gas, but it goes dead like the battery may be weak. HELP!!!! Thanks

Old 05-05-2008, 07:48 AM
Default RE: drive belt replacement

a couple of things to check. crank sensor. this wire goes down the oil dipstick tube to the harmonic balancer. it is in about the 8 o'clock position. if it was disconnected, which i do, it may have been forgotten. if it was not disconnected, it may be broken. no signal from this, car no start.

cam angle sensor. this lives on the front bank cyl head. although it is keyed, it can be put on wrong.

the worse case scenario is the timing belt jumped. the only way to check it, is to pull off the timing belt covers, and see if the marks line up. big job. not fun.

Old 05-05-2008, 03:42 PM

Hi Keninn

Thanks for the info. I will give it to my husband and hopes he understands it all. I sure hope it is not the last case scenario of the timing belt jumping. I have called around andasked for some quotes and no one wants to touch it. They tell me to take it to a Mazda dealer.The average costto repairquotes givento me by othermechanics was$2,000. If it is the timing belt, I will just have to junk it because I have already spent $2,000 on the car and that was within 6 months of buying it used. Have only had it for a year now. THANKS!!!

Old 05-05-2008, 08:13 PM

i'm in krum. about 80 miles north of waco. if you junk the car, i might come get it and bring it home.