Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

Miller cycle KJ engine oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 11:17 AM
Default Miller cycle KJ engine oil leak

I have a 1999 Millenia with the Miller cycle KJ engine. I have removed the left timing belt cover and traced a engine oil leak to where the left front of the cylinder head cover mates with the left cylinder head at the very front of the engine (front being where the timing belt is). It looks like a small part of the cylinder head has broken and shifted. There is 74,000 miles on the engine and it runs perfectly.It seems the only function of the broken piece is to provide a surface for the gasket to seal against. I would need to cut a hole in the fender well with a hole saw to take a picture which I have not done .

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Larry

Old 05-06-2008, 10:01 AM
Default RE: Miller cycle KJ engine oil leak

you can probably fix that part with some epoxy, like jb weld. but, it has to be very clean. also, you dont want to epoxy the head to the valve cover, because some time in the future, you will have to remove it. getting the valve cover off of bank 1 is quite a job. a LOT of stuff has to come off. i have never heard of the head breaking like that. perhaps a casting flaw, but whatever. it is best to seal it, oil will contaminate the timing belt.