New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

93DX: water pump,t belt,drive belts r&r

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 02:55 PM
Default 93DX: water pump,t belt,drive belts r&r

Hi all: karen's car was leaking at t belt cover bottom. it was the pump. 21MM 1/2"shallow impact socket on a 3/4 to 1/2 reducer fitted to long handle 3/4" breaker bar. used a pry bar to stick in the slots on the crankshaft pulley. when you turn it, the pry bar wedges to the fender sheet metal and gives you the leverage to really, really pull (don't slip and round the bolt, pay attention) hard. 121 pounds of torque. off it comes. now the fun. 10,12,14 mm sockets and box (box,ratchet helps) are the main weapons. yeah, i had to remove the PS pump from the motor (lift up out of way) to get to pump inlet 2 bolts. ok, now you have everything removed: engine mating surface for your new water pump is scraped nice and clean. put on the pump. put on your tensioner. tensioner is made to drive you nuts with the spring on install. you know that, just put it on but not tight, yet. timing: you know your camshaft points are lined up and your crank keyway is lined up.i had the crank t belt sprocket move around with the keyway out. don't do that.i had karen put her little finger in #1 and felt the air for TDC. you turn the crank with the crank bolt. look at your manual.easy. set your t belt tension. not real tight. read your book, but the book calls for about .4 of an inch deflection. what does that mean? i left my belt a tad loose. nice.
put your crankshaft pulley back on, if it's not already,and torque firm, not super. put in your new spark plugs and start your car.you will like what you hear.it will start cause you triple checked your manual, your work, and your timing. now really tighten up that crankshaft pulley.next, if you bought plugs and cap and rotor and wires, and ox sensor, now put them on. you didn't put them on at first cause you wanted to be sureyour beaterstarted after tbelt. fill your radiatior or put in your new thermostat, and then fill your radiator.dollars: schucks in oregon i got goodyear t belt, mileage maker drive belt, gator back serpentine belt (karen has a/c and p/s), and brand new water pump (no core on new)for $67.00. bosch platinum are $2.29 each. cap and rotor run about $9 each and new autolite wires for anywhere from $11 to $22. single wire sensor runs $22.hey, it's karen's little beater. no photos this time as no time for that. maybe when i do her struts. they are shot too.
i didn't proof this note so you do the edit.
you kids can do this pump job. find a dry garage,concrete floor cause you drop parts,and lot's of shop lights. we all know by now who is going to what play offs and bowl games, so go fix your needy car. after you fix your car, you can go back in and watch goofballnew car ad's on TV and chuckle.