Changing the Transfer case oil in a 2014? - Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Go Back  Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums > Mazda Vehicles > Mazda CX-9
Reload this Page >

Changing the Transfer case oil in a 2014?

Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

Changing the Transfer case oil in a 2014?

Old 12-15-2016, 11:43 AM
Default Changing the Transfer case oil in a 2014?

I wanted my spark plugs changed, the rear differential oil changed, and the transfer case oil changed; at 60,000 miles.

I just got the car back; he didn't didn't change the transfer case oil because it is a sealed unit and can't be changed.

The dealer nearest to me said the same thing. So I called around and found two dealers willing to do it. I took it to the nearer of the two, but now he has changed his mind!

I have read several posts in various places of people who did change it, finding it was very sludgy after 50,000 miles. Mazda has extended the warranty on it to 90,000; but that isn't the same as preventing the failure.

So, does any one know much about this? Does Mazda have some policy on this? Any input would be appreciated.

Old 12-18-2016, 04:05 AM
Super Moderator

Definitely not sealed for life. From memory they have no drain bung, just a fill bung ( in an awkward position) You need to suck out the old oil & pump in fresh oil.

Transfer

Item

Specification

Transfer oil

Grade API service GL-5
Viscosity SAE 75W-140
Oil capacity (approx. quantity) (L {US qt, Imp qt}) 0.53 {0.56, 0.47}

Old 12-19-2016, 07:14 PM

I emailed Mazda and asked them; pleading with them not to tell me to ask my dealer as I have already done that and gotten conflicting stories.

They say it can be done if the dealer recommends it.

What happens if it fails? The recall notice says it can fail under sustained high speeds or heavy load, which we really don't do. Does it just break and you are stopped, or does it get noisier over a period of time?

In town, it would not be a big deal, but we are going on a long road trip and I would hate to be stranded. Or would changing the oil now not really affect the short term and I have have it done at the next oil change just as well?
2014 CX9 with 58,000 miles.