Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

2016 Mazda CX9, front wheel vs all wheel drive & gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2020, 09:28 AM

In a new year's thread resurrection, My new-2-me 2010 FWD has the 2nd most torque steer of anything I've ever driven, 2nd only to a GLH Omni (if anyone's old enough). What a shock as well as it spinning a wheel when dropping the hammer at 20 mph into 1st...hang on!

Old 01-03-2020, 03:22 AM
Super Moderator

I don't see the point in building a FWD large SUV with a open diff. Waste of time & waste of tyre tread.

Old 01-07-2020, 08:42 PM
Default MPG - Display readout Vs. manual calculation

I don’t know if I have ever seen a vehicle calculate the MPG correctly using the on screen display. I have a 2012 Mazda CX-9 and my display doesn’t not calculate correctly. My wife has a 2013 Buick Verano and her MPG does not calculate correctly either. Use the above formula to figure out the gas mileage that will be your best bet and if it matches your display in your vehicle then that’s great but I am willing to bet your manual calculation will not match what the display reads out on your vehicle. If you happen to do this and figure it out manually and compare it to what your vehicle says, please reply and let me know what you come up with! Thanks and good luck!

Originally Posted by jpjr50
I rented a 2016 CX-9 when my 2015 was getting fixed, it had the 4 banger turbo and it was fun. I didn't like the sound of it but the torque was crazy, have to hold the steering wheel tightly at full throttle. If I had that engine I'd be in trouble because I'd turn the wick up on that turbo just a bit.

I had no idea they didn't offer the 3.7L after 2015. I'm very happy with the power, torque, sound, etc. from the V6 so I'll learn to deal with the gas mileage. I got it to climb to 15 MPG around town so it's probably just me. I filled it up yesterday so I'll keep tabs on it.

Old 01-09-2020, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Mathew KOan
I don’t know if I have ever seen a vehicle calculate the MPG correctly using the on screen display. I have a 2012 Mazda CX-9 and my display doesn’t not calculate correctly. My wife has a 2013 Buick Verano and her MPG does not calculate correctly either. Use the above formula to figure out the gas mileage that will be your best bet and if it matches your display in your vehicle then that’s great but I am willing to bet your manual calculation will not match what the display reads out on your vehicle. If you happen to do this and figure it out manually and compare it to what your vehicle says, please reply and let me know what you come up with! Thanks and good luck!
The OBC on virtually every car I've had since the late 1990s has been no more than 0.7 mpg off; I religiously calculate fuel economy based upon the good old fashioned miles divided by gallons method and keep it all on a spreadsheet along with the OBC report. Most of our cars have been within 0.3 mpg either way of the calculated number. The thing is, given how inconsistently fuel pumps "clock-off", any given tank of fuel may differ from the OBC by as much as two or three mpg, but over time the numbers smooth out. Long story short, once you figure out the deviation between actual and reported, using the OBC number times the deviation for any given tank is a far more accurate method of calculating the fuel economy for any given tank.