Mazda CX-7 This sporty turbocharged 4 cylinder SUV combines the spirit of a performance car with the versatility of an SUV.

pcv replacement to cure oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 11:19 PM
Default pcv replacement to cure oil consumption

I searched and found no threads on this subject at this site. On the web i find lots of references to pcv replacement as a possible cure for oil consumption. Most how to's and youtubes describe the manufacturer procedure. Here's an alternate way I think is easier and less likely to introduce issues that could arise from disassembling the intake system.

Drain the coolant. there is a bolt center of the bottom (the underside) of the radiator.
Remove the dip stick fill tube bolt on the intake.
Raise the front end. Probably the most time consuming part of this.
Get under the car.
Pull the dipstick tube out and remove it. This clears access to the pcv valve and its hose.
Undo the passenger side coolant hose going into the intake. This clears access to the pcv valve and its hose. This is the second most time consuming step. The issue is accessing the clamp on the hose. Having a deep 25mm socket might speed this up as removing the passenger intake sensor in the same area of this intake coolant hose could give you easier access to the clamp. Undoing this hose will spill a few ounces of coolant. Or have a nice set of very long needle nosed pliers.
Use a narrow (1/2 inch) sharp tipped chisel to break off the plastic pcv valve retaining ring by placing the tip under the lip of the ring and twisting the chisel.
Remove the valve from the pcv baffle. Yes it will come out without removing anything else.
Unclamp the pcv valve hose from the intake.
Replace the pcv valve and plastic retaining ring. The pcv valve hose has a mark for orientation of the valve.
Now reassemble everything. The retaining ring snaps into place.

Why do this? Well my CX-7 is doing 700 miles per quart. I replaced the turbo oil restrictor and cured the great plume of smoke when floored but did not cure the oil consumption. I just finished the above along with doing the 2 ounces of AcDelco cleaner in each piston. Let's hope i get better oil mileage.

Old 03-08-2019, 12:52 PM

How did that work for you?
I go through a quart about every 1000 miles...would be great if this would help.

Old 07-31-2020, 05:53 PM

suffice to say the car is gone. i did several rounds of GM top end cleaner, seafoam, b-12 chemtool, and marvelous mystery oil down the spark plug holes for a long soak. I drained and kept my oil each time. You don't want some of these cleaners in your oil. I did marvelous mystery oil in the oil and in the gas. I did every and anything to free up the rings. Yet one piston kept sending 'fouled out' codes and had lower compression, not real low, just not like the other 3 cylinders. Yes new spark plugs were tried. Yes, 700 miles per quart of oil. Next step was to put in a 60K mile or so used engine. Wife said no. Again, because it was fouling out one cylinder, I knew it wasn't really a leaking turbo but a worn out hole. I'd say stay away from turbo charged engines if expecting longevity. except a turbo diesel truck - they do go the miles. very very disappointing engine. i have a 120K ford 4.6 DOHC that goes 10K miles before using a quart. The oil never gets black just a light brown in that many miles.