Mazda CX-7 This sporty turbocharged 4 cylinder SUV combines the spirit of a performance car with the versatility of an SUV.

2008 Mazda CX-7 Airbag code 16

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2021, 01:54 PM
Default 2008 Mazda CX-7 Airbag code 16

Hi All, I'm hoping some of you may have dealt with this issue because it's stumping me. I have a 2008 CX-7 Grand Touring (2.3L Turbo) and I have the airbag light on the dash flashing 1 and then 6 five times and then staying on. I referenced the factory service manual and it indicates there's a fault with the passenger seat occupancy sensor (code B1013). Here's what i've done so far to try to turn off this damn code:
  • replaced the sensor control module with a known good one - when I did this the "Passenger Airbag Disabled" light on the upper dash came on for a bit but then hasn't since
  • replaced the seat tracks that hold the weight sensors with salvage yard replacements
  • checked the circuit board on the dash display where the "Passenger Airbag Disabled" light lives and all looks good - there doesn't appear to be any broken solders or issues with the display.
  • continuity checked, cleaned and dielectric greased all seat wiring leading to the main connection under the seat
  • checked, cleaned and dielectric greased the three main connections into the srs module under the center console
  • removed the A/B fuses for 20 min to reset the system
  • UPDATE Oct 18 - found the center dash info display to be wonky (when you squeezed it the "Passenger Airbag Disable" light would flicker/go out, come back on etc. Replaced the unit with salvage yard one. NO CHANGE - STILL GET CODE 16 - Aaarrggh! Now the PAD comes on with the ignition, turns off for a second and then comes back on and stays on - even with someone sitting in the passenger seat. I'm going to check the continuity of the wiring harness from the passenger seat to the SRS module under the center console next...
I'm now at a loss as what could be causing the airbag code 16. Do I need to go to a mazda dealership for them to calibrate the seat sensor? would an out of calibration seat cause a code 16?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give on this.

Last edited by JeffyD; 10-18-2021 at 10:41 AM. Reason: updated info