Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Wind noise?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 02:10 PM

dnme:
You need to be a little more specific like: is the noise coming from a window or door seal or does it sound more like air rushing over the rear view mirror?

Old 01-10-2014, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by paris1
dnme:
You need to be a little more specific like: is the noise coming from a window or door seal or does it sound more like air rushing over the rear view mirror?
Paris, it sounds like the door is not closed properly even though it absolutely is. It seems to happen at relatively high speeds. I have tried retracting the rear view mirror while driving to see if that was the cause but I don't think it is. It's not a huge noise but it is definitely there and makes you feel cold and insecure in the vehicle. It's just unpleasant really and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I am also aware that most of you folks are in the USA and I am in Ireland so they're probably different car build batches from the Mazda factory etc.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by dnme
Paris, it sounds like the door is not closed properly even though it absolutely is. It seems to happen at relatively high speeds. I have tried retracting the rear view mirror while driving to see if that was the cause but I don't think it is. It's not a huge noise but it is definitely there and makes you feel cold and insecure in the vehicle. It's just unpleasant really and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I am also aware that most of you folks are in the USA and I am in Ireland so they're probably different car build batches from the Mazda factory etc.
Well for one thing, you're talking about our passenger (right) door, since you have a right hand drive car. Not that that should make a difference, but it may be a factor. Sounds to me like you've got a door seal failure, which I haven't heard of anyone else having in my Mazda CX-5 forum travels. Mazda uses a double seal system, which makes this kind of problem all the more unlikely, buy I suspect the outer seal would be more suspect than the inner. Have you or the dealer checked out the integrity of that seal? How about door alignment; anything suspect there? If it were mine, I think I would try taping off the various sections of the door/fender/A-pillar cut line in an effort to isolate where the leak is. Good luck!
PS: I suppose it could also be the window seal, but you could tape that too as a way of testing it.

Last edited by paris1; 01-10-2014 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:02 AM

I have this same problem (in USA). Above about 45mph the wind noise at the driver door gets really loud. To me it sounds like when I drive through a mountain pass with very strong gusty crosswinds - its a blustery sort of sound. I have to turn the radio up quite high to overcome it, especially if it is talk radio.

I went back to the dealer and test drove a different vehicle. On the highway I heard similar sounds but not nearly as loud as in mine.

The first time I went back to the dealer they said the mirror was a bit loose and claimed they had fixed the problem, but there was no change. They claimed then that this is due to the mirror and is just 'the nature of the vehicle'. There is no problem with the door seals, according to them and I tend to agree - I don't feel any leaks and the seals look good.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:53 AM

I have owned a new cx5 for 6 weeks, the drivers door seal comes off really easily and prevents a good seal. The problem is the seal is attached to the door using some really rubbish clips, took my car to mazda that re fitted it for me and said if it happes again they will fit another under warranty but there is no point as the clip system is not effective. I solved the problem by squirting a little clear silicon mastic under the door seal so it is not visible (very simple to do as its all so loose, silicon can be bought from any good hardware shop or builders merchants). hey presto, job done, no more wind noise and the door now shuts properly !!

Old 02-27-2014, 11:46 PM
Red face

Originally Posted by Tony Farmer
I have owned a new cx5 for 6 weeks, the drivers door seal comes off really easily and prevents a good seal. The problem is the seal is attached to the door using some really rubbish clips, took my car to mazda that re fitted it for me and said if it happes again they will fit another under warranty but there is no point as the clip system is not effective. I solved the problem by squirting a little clear silicon mastic under the door seal so it is not visible (very simple to do as its all so loose, silicon can be bought from any good hardware shop or builders merchants). hey presto, job done, no more wind noise and the door now shuts properly !!
A great hint. I've been unhappy with the amount of cabin noise from almost day one when two of us took the CX5 for a 5k mile round trip. I've got the GT (Bose) and I was expecting better cabin noise treatment. I've been looking into Dynamat but it is way too expensive. I'll try the silicon mastic and see how that works out.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tom95134
I've got the GT (Bose) and I was expecting better cabin noise treatment.
Before I bought the CX-5 on Wednesday, I had noticed this thread on wind noise. I do notice some from the driver's side, probably from around the mirror. I think some car makers design things like those mirrors so that wind noise is nil.

Before I decided (wife really did) on a CX-5, Car and Driver and Consumer Reports mentioned a noisy cabin. However, I think almost all of these CX-5/CR-V/RAV4 type cars have the same problem -- except for the Ford Escape. The CX-5 & the Subaru got the highest "Customer Satisfaction" ratings according to Consumer Reports. After several days, we are very pleased.

Old 02-07-2017, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by rodster13
Just got my CX5 a few days ago. I noticed wind noise from one of the doors at HWY speeds. I have an appointment at the dealer to have a look. Anyone else notice this?
problem solved wind noise driving me nuts just came out of the blue. I grasped the backing of the drive side mirror and squeezed it in and heard a click. No more noise. I don't get it but it definitely clicked it was the backing of the mirror what ever that is called