Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Tyre wear and wind noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 03:11 PM
Default Tyre wear and wind noise

Greetings to you all. I have a 2005 Mazda 5 sport UK spec. it has covered 9700 uk miles and had to have a complete set of tyres!!
The inside edge of all 4 tyres was wearing away at an alarming rate. I took the car to the dealer in Feb when I first noticed the wear and was told that the pressures were wrong and were the cause of the problem. They corrected the pressures (I think that they were only slightly out anyway!) Since then the tyres have continued to wear to the point of becoming illegal!!!

The dealer sorted a good deal on a new set of tyres, but since then I heard another mazda 5 (the car that was the demonstrator when we bought ours) had been back for 4 new tyres.......

I wondered if any of you had noticed any strange tyre wear, particularly on the inside edges of the tyres.

Also I would be interested to hear if any of you have experienced wind noise from the front doors. I get the noise of a hurricane on the drivers side door (we drive on the otherside to you don't forget!) They have replaced the door seal, but at best it is no better...

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-03-2006, 11:13 AM
Default RE: Tyre wear and wind noise

Just had the car back to dealer for 12 month service and a check on the wheel alignment following the fitting of the new tyres.
Lo and behold the dealer has had another 5 in for four new tyres. Curiously the car was the next car off the production line to mine!!!
Mazda UK are looking into the matter and are going to be giving us some compensation towards the costs

Still got the terrible wind noise. Think it might be coming from the rear sliding door????

Old 09-16-2006, 10:42 AM

Mazda UK have stumped out for the cost of the replacement tyres.......
Sounds like they are a bit worried.....

I suggest that you keep a close eye on the wear patterns on your tyres...!!!

Old 09-25-2006, 12:58 AM

Out of curiousity. What tires did your 5 come with? I'm in Canada and there were 2 tires that came on the 5's as far as I can recall. Either Goodyear something or Toyo's (which is what I have). I don't like them very much but I'm a little bit spoiled since this not being my car (wife's), my car has only ridden on very, very good tires - currently on Michelin Pilot Sports - I do race my car. Anyhow....I find that when the ground is wet, any sort of spirited driving easily brakes the front end away or understeer. Do you guys find this also with the different tires you have? I know most of this is my personal driving style, but I was just wondering. This is also making me lean towards buying a set of winter rubber. Comments?

Thanks

Old 09-25-2006, 01:45 PM

Hi, the car came with a set of Dunlops. They appeared to do the job.
I don't drive the 5 that often I have an MX5 with Goodyear F1's which are excellent.
The replacements we got for the 5 were Avon ZZ3's which are brilliant both in the wet and dry.
However not sure whether they would cope with a Canadian winter!

Old 10-10-2006, 05:27 PM
tex

Hello All
Just joined and so glad i have. I have a 2006 Mazda5 Sport. Within 7,000 miles the tyres have worn on the inside.I was told the tyre pressure was wrong and the alignment was out.Mazda fitted 2 new tyres which cost £250+.I have since been back about noisy front suspension which they told me was due to a faulty part that Mazda have issued an alert for dealers to change.Whilst at the dealer the second time the technician told me he had sent the details of my initial tyre wear to Mazda as they have had lots of reports of excessive tyre wear.I have contacted Mazda customer care who made me regret the day I ever stepped into the Mazda dealership.
Hope this may help someone
Tex

Old 10-11-2006, 01:58 PM

ORIGINAL: tex

Hello All
Just joined and so glad i have. I have a 2006 Mazda5 Sport. Within 7,000 miles the tyres have worn on the inside.I was told the tyre pressure was wrong and the alignment was out.Mazda fitted 2 new tyres which cost £250+.I have since been back about noisy front suspension which they told me was due to a faulty part that Mazda have issued an alert for dealers to change.Whilst at the dealer the second time the technician told me he had sent the details of my initial tyre wear to Mazda as they have had lots of reports of excessive tyre wear.I have contacted Mazda customer care who made me regret the day I ever stepped into the Mazda dealership.
Hope this may help someone
Tex
Greetings Tex.
I assume that you are in the UK because of the use of the £.
Was the suspension part on the roll bar?
We had the car back to the dealer because of noise going over humps, and was told that it was a dry suspension bush.

Never thought to link it to the tyres wear.

The new tyres that I have had fitted at Mazda's expense are now 3000 miles old and starting to show signs of wear again.
I also notice that there is significant wobble on the steering wheel at about 60mph.
This happened despite new tyres all round, tyres balanced and tracking aligned

I have learned that MMUK customer services are a law unto themselves and it is far easier and more fruitful to get the dealer to do the complaining for you.
You can give them the proverbial flea in the ear, and they should be able to argue your point with them.
After all They would like to think you might come back and buy another car from them.
MMUK couldn't give a fig about an individual........

Old 10-15-2006, 10:43 PM

could be caster, camber, Tire PSI, wheel alignment, poor tire manufacturing

Old 10-20-2006, 01:15 PM

Car been back and the dealer has increased the pressure to about 38psi all round.

Says tracking is just right.....

Will test it for a thousand miles and see......

Watch this space...

Old 10-25-2006, 09:08 AM

Seem to have the same problem on my 5 Sport (Oct 2006 model).
Just been in for a service and expected two front new boots due to the underinflation wear patttern now being very noticable but was told I needed four as the rears were - "dangerously worn" - went to Kwik Fit for a second opinion as on the outside they look pefect but they told me that the inside is nearly down to the cord!
This is very worrying as I don't often get down on my knees behind the car to check the inside wear patterns of tyres (who does) - if they were that dangerous then why are the 5's being setup with such a severe camber?

[IMG]local://upfiles/6630/CFFB346FF9FB451D8967D3DA1B034038.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6630/5C9CA2F9CD0F468E9BE267EC85F9DB8A.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Tyre wear and wind noise