Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind noise?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 09:45 PM
Default Wind Noise

I bought a new Mazda CX5 Grand Touring and having an issue of wind noise on highway driving. When the car is driven more than 100km/h, the right wing mirror shakes/vibrates/rattle and there is an unacceptable wind noise which made my long drive uncomfortable.

I have tried to arrange test drive with couple of mechanics and then with the area manager of Mazda Australia. After 4 test drives and all of them accepted the problem of wind noise and mirror vibration.

Finally, Mazda Australia came up with the word "CHARACTER" i.e. they advised that they cannot do anything about it as this is the characteristic of the car. After paying so much of money, I get worst driving experience.

SUGGEST EVERYONE - NOT TO BUY MAZDA -

Already two of my friends pulled away from the idea and went to buy Honda CRV.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:10 PM
Default Bad wind noise too

I also have really bad wind noise in my 2004 touring AWD. I took it to the dealer and they said the driver rear view mirror was loose and causing the problem, but it was no better. It seems at least twice as loud (unscientific, I know) as the one I test drove (I drove it again afterwards to compare). But essentially nothing is being done about it. Above 50mph I have to crank the radio pretty loud to hear what is being said. It sounds like I am driving in strong gusty crosswinds even on windless days.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:05 PM

I have not noticed unusual wind noise and find it to be very close to my other premium sedans. What I have noticed is more crosswind sensitivity than usual.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by CX-SV
What I have noticed is more crosswind sensitivity than usual.
Slab sides...

Old 09-23-2013, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by paris1
Slab sides...
Yes, like nearly all SUVs.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:41 PM

This is the end of my wind noise!

The dealer had a tech bulletin on it. Got new parts and that fixed it once and for all. I like my Mazda Dealer. Oaktree, San Jose

Old 12-14-2013, 09:59 AM

Uhh, care to elaborate on that a bit rodster13?

Old 12-28-2013, 12:16 PM
Thumbs up wrap up post needed?

Originally Posted by paris1
Uhh, care to elaborate on that a bit rodster13?
OK fine. I started the OP. Pls. read from the beginning.

In summary: I had excessive wind noise from a rear door. I tried a few things including wind guards for the windows. I played with the moldings to no avail. 1 year later Mazda has some fix and they didn't tell me what it was. I'm 100% sure it fixed the problems in the door so I'm really happy about that.

I can tolerate the noise from the RV mirrors. IMO It's an issue with cross wind.

I found the TB here
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-sY...QTQ/edit?pli=1

so case closed.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:03 PM

Ahh soo. I went back and read your earlier posts (from a year and a half ago!) and now it makes sense. This is the first time I have heard about rear door wind noise (usually it's front door noise) and your link isn't any help as it's dead.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:49 PM

Hi OP

I have just purchased a new CX-5 here in Ireland and am experiencing wind noise from the drivers door at high speeds. I have spoken to my local dealer and they have acknowledged the issue on some other models but they are kind of shrugging it off.

I have now emailed Mazda customer service and so I'll see what they have to say. It's a bit of a big deal. Has anyone else experience of wind noise from the drivers door? Any suggestions as to a plan of action to resolve the issue ?

Many thanks for any replies

Quick Reply: Wind noise?