Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Welcome To The Mazda Family... The New CX-5!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by MathewR
Sure, I get well over 30MPG highway. Not combined though. And I get that because I have a manual front wheel drive. The auto loses like 3 MPG highway. The AWD costs MPG as well.

You're still likely to get as good MPG as any other compact SUV though.
With all that as been said by Mazda about the excellent milleage, i dont want as good MPG as any other CUV.
I want the best MPG of all CUV, i will definetely need to adjust my way of driving but im expecting better result.
Im not saying it's not up to the task because i have the car for only 5 day's now but im looking for a drastic improvement in the next week/month.
So far the best i can get on hwy only is around 24mpg.
City driving is really hard on it, so i guess this is where i need to do the most adjustement.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:35 PM

My sister-in-law's Tucson gets 18MPG.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:26 PM

My sister-in-law's Tucson gets 18MPG.
That's terrible. What year/generation Tuscon?

Old 04-23-2012, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by CX-SV
That's terrible. What year/generation Tuscon?
I don't remember. It's a V6 AWD model, so it gets the worst MPG of that model year. They've never gotten over 20MPG with it.

My point was pretty much that it's really easy to believe that mid-20's is "bad" but you have to remain realistic. This is a 3300+ pound automobile.

And, one also needs to remain realistic when looking at Mazda's claims. A lot of the efficiency hype is centered around the manual. Stop and go traffic with all the normal electrical stuff (including a discrete nav system) on and drawing power, yet still getting 32-33 MPG? Yeah, find me a non-hybrid compact SUV that does that.

But when you add in the auto transmission and the extra weight/drag of the AWD drivetrain it all adds up.

If you flick around looking at actual MPG reports for other automobiles in the segment you will generally see that the MPG seen on the CX-5 is better than other models. I took a look at some Sportage discussions before buying and many drivers seemed to be pretty happy to be getting 25MPG highway.

That's one of the things which made us decide to get the CX-5, and we have yet to be disappointed. (Well, except by the crap daily commute my wife has to endure . . . )

Old 04-24-2012, 12:50 PM

I don't remember. It's a V6 AWD model, so it gets the worst MPG of that model year. They've never gotten over 20MPG with it.

My point was pretty much that it's really easy to believe that mid-20's is "bad" but you have to remain realistic. This is a 3300+ pound automobile.

And, one also needs to remain realistic when looking at Mazda's claims. A lot of the efficiency hype is centered around the manual. Stop and go traffic with all the normal electrical stuff (including a discrete nav system) on and drawing power, yet still getting 32-33 MPG? Yeah, find me a non-hybrid compact SUV that does that.

But when you add in the auto transmission and the extra weight/drag of the AWD drivetrain it all adds up.

If you flick around looking at actual MPG reports for other automobiles in the segment you will generally see that the MPG seen on the CX-5 is better than other models. I took a look at some Sportage discussions before buying and many drivers seemed to be pretty happy to be getting 25MPG highway.

That's one of the things which made us decide to get the CX-5, and we have yet to be disappointed. (Well, except by the crap daily commute my wife has to endure . . . )
Good report, yes that's the previous generation piece of crap old Tuscon. (It's not the current modern Tuscon only offered with 4 cylinder engines).

Agreed, mid-20's from a SUV is not bad. My CX-5 is a loaded AWD 3400 pound safe SUV and my worst tank in pretty bad traffic conditions is 25.5 mpg so far.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:18 PM

The stupid "publish to facebook" button kicked one of my posts up and my brother read them all, causing him to correct my inaccuracies as regards his wife's ride.

It's a 2005 V6 FWD Tucson and it averages 18-19MPG, but they can get up to mid 20's if they're driving from Everett to Richland (in Washington, from the western urban sprawl out across the mountains through the desert to one of the major population centers) and he's convinced that her driving style is in part to blame for how low the MPG is. (He says he gets better when he drives it under the same circumstances.)

The real point of this of course being that yes, a V6 is going to have less fuel economy than a 4-cylinder engine, but it's important to remember that Mazda has put a lot of effort into the chassis, body, and various technology, making the CX-5 more fuel efficient than other vehicles in the segment.

Which still won't help you if you have poor driving habits. (Or if you try and drive it like it is a compact.)

Old 05-03-2012, 08:00 PM

New CX 5 owner here, bought it for my wife. I have a grand touring awd fully loaded, silver.

Anyone know where can we get accessories for cheap?

i need a sunshield, trunk netting, trunk lip protector.

thanks!

Old 05-21-2012, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by hrrm
New CX 5 owner here, bought it for my wife. I have a grand touring awd fully loaded, silver.

Anyone know where can we get accessories for cheap?

i need a sunshield, trunk netting, trunk lip protector.

thanks!
Welcome to mazdaforum.com. Now that you've had your CX-5 a while, what are your thoughts so far?

Old 05-22-2012, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by CX-SV
Welcome to mazdaforum.com. Now that you've had your CX-5 a while, what are your thoughts so far?
the driving experience is definitely something that I am not used to. But thinking it was meant to save gas, I can live with it. However, I am a bit disappointed averaging 26.4 so far and doesn't seem to move much higher or lower from there.

the foam on the seats are a bit too firm, but tolerable.
the navigation system experience can be improved as well. (menu fluency/speed, not used to asking for carpool and traffic delay of 1 minute, how do you answer those?)

besides those, I am digging the room it provides, and the SUV convenience...

one question, regarding the traffic integration, is that free for life? how accurate is it for everyone?

Old 05-22-2012, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by hrrm
the driving experience is definitely something that I am not used to. But thinking it was meant to save gas, I can live with it. However, I am a bit disappointed averaging 26.4 so far and doesn't seem to move much higher or lower from there.

Your gas mileage is close to what I'm getting, I typically use the CX-5 on weekdays to commmute in very heavy traffic. For a awd SUV that's about as good as it gets.

What vehicle did you replace and/or what are you comparing driving experience to?

Last edited by CX-SV; 05-22-2012 at 03:59 PM. Reason: sp

Quick Reply: Welcome To The Mazda Family... The New CX-5!!!