Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Welcome To The Mazda Family... The New CX-5!!!

Old 02-28-2012, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator
Wink Welcome To The Mazda Family... The New CX-5!!!

The CX-5 is a departure from the out going Tribute and is a good choice for people that need a little more room, and/or have young growing families.
They are competitively priced and offer good value, as well as excellent fuel mileage.
Currently available in three trim levels... this car is a comer!!

2013 CX-5
MSRP starting at
Sport $20,695* Touring $23,895* Grand Touring $27,045*

Fuel Economy
6 speed MT (Sport trim only) 26/35
6 speed AT (FWD) 26/32
6 speed AT (AWD) 25/31

Bluetooth Audio Package (Sport only)
- Bluetooth® hands-free phone and audio† streaming with steering wheel mounted audio controls
- 5.8" Full color monitor
- HD Radio

Moonroof and Bose Audio Package (Touring only)
- Power sliding-glass moonroof
- Bose® Centerpoint® Surround Sound System with AudioPilot®
- 9 Speakers

Touring Technology Package (Touring only)
- TomTom Navigation System
- Rain-sensing windshield wipers
- Antitheft perimeter alarm system
- Bi-Xenon HID headlamps with auto leveling and auto on/off
- Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS)
- Auto dimming mirror with Homelink®

Grand Touring Technology Package (Grand Touring only)
- TomTom Navigation System
- Mazda advanced keyless entry system
- Antitheft perimeter alarm system
- Bi-Xenon HID headlamps with auto leveling
- Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS)
- Auto dimming mirror with Homelink®®

Engine & Drivetrain Choices

CX-5 features the all-new SKYACTIV-G 2.0L DOHC 4-cylinder engine with VVT. 155 hp and 150 lb-ft of torque are channelled through either the SKYACTIV-MT 6-speed manual (Standard on Sport) or SKYACTIV-Drive 6-speed Sport automatic (Available on Sport, Standard on Touring and Grand Touring).

Seating & Storage

Flexible seating for 5 people or up to 65.4 cubic feet of cargo carrying capacity. Or choose any combination in between by adjusting the available 40/20/40 dual split folding rear seatbacks to accommodate your needs.

Available Features

The technology laden interior also features niceties like available Bluetooth®† hands-free phone and audio streaming, HD radio, or an integrated TomTom navigation system. USB connectivity is also standard on all CX-5

Last edited by virgin1; 03-07-2012 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Additional info and pictures
Old 02-28-2012, 12:15 PM
Banned
Arrow

FROM LA Auto Show:
Meanwhile, the 2014 CX-5 will offer buyers a larger 2.5-liter four-cylinder gasoline engine in Touring and Grand Touring models, in addition to the current 2.0-liter four-cylinder offered across its entire range of trim levels. The new engine delivers 184 horsepower and 185 pound-feet of torque (up from 155 hp and 150 lb/ft for the 2.0-liter) and shuttles power to the ground via a six-speed automatic transmission. The EPA expects to see 25 mpg city and 32 mpg highway from front-wheel-drive models. Those numbers slip to 24 mpg city and 30 mpg highway on all-wheel-drive models.
For 2014, the race-car high 13:1 compression ratio and uniquely crafted 4-2-1 exhaust system
remain but can now be paired with an all-new SKYACTIV-G 2.5-liter gasoline engine for Touring
and Grand Touring models. Boasting nearly 19 percent more horsepower and 23 percent more
torque, the SKYACTIV-G 2.5L still maintains the fuel economy threshold set by the SKYACTIV-G
2.0L in its segment-leading MPG. Redline is achieved at 6,800 rpm in the 2.0-liter and at 6,500 rpm in the 2.5-liter engine.

The extra half-liter of Skyactiv displacement, resulting in 29 more horsepower and 35 more pound-feet of torque than in the 2.0-liter model, is satisfying in this new CX-5. With the larger engine, the CX-5's 0-60 time falls to about 7.2 seconds (Mazda's estimate) from just under 9 seconds in the 2.0-liter version. Those numbers are borne out in real-world feel, too, where the new CX-5 absolutely feels quicker away from a stoplight and less strained when passing slower folks at highway speeds. The 2.5 engine sounds a bit better, too – offering a mildly enthusiastic growl up around 5,000 rpm and onward.

All CX-5 Sport models will be equipped with the SKYACTIV-G 2.0L engine and offer an EPArated fuel economy of 26 city/35 highway/29 combined MPG when mated to the SKYACTIV-MT
six-speed manual transmission, or 26 city/32 highway/29 combined MPG when optioned with the
SKYACTIV-Drive six-speed automatic transmission. When equipped with Mazda's Active
Torque-Split All-Wheel Drive system (AT models only), fuel economy remains a highly-efficient
25 city/31 highway/28 combined MPG. At 35 MPG, CX-5 still holds the title of highest highway
MPG of any SUV in North America, hybrid or not.
Only available with an automatic transmission, Touring and Grand Touring models will receive
the SKYACTIV-G 2.5L engine. Touting 184 horsepower at 5,700 rpm and 185 lb-ft of torque at
3,250 rpm, the CX-5 becomes one of the more powerful non-turbocharged compact SUVs in its
class. The EPA-tested numbers reflect minimal sacrifice in efficiency with 25 city/32 highway
MPG for front-wheel-drive (FWD) vehicles and 24 city/30 highway MPG for AWD vehicles.2012

Fuel tank capacity in FWD models is 14.8 gallons while AWD vehicles feature a slightly larger
15.3-gallon tank. This difference is to ensure that regardless of a consumer's choice of vehicle, the segment-leading driving range will remain similar across the model line at about 430 miles. Overpowering most of its competitors as well as outlasting them, the 2014 CX-5 truly knows how to move forward and go further.

But fuel efficiency and power can't be had with simple under-the-hood magic tricks. By crafting efficiency into not just a lighter engine and shorter shift strokes but also into every panel and every bolt, SKYACTIV TECHNOLOGY showcases light weighting at its svelte best. With a starting weight of 3,194 lbs., a CX-5 Sport FWD with SKYACTIV-MT weighs less than some
compact cars, such as the MAZDASPEED3 (3,281 lbs.). When fully equipped, a Grand Touring
AWD model weighs in at 3,532 lbs. Even with a trim frame and smaller footprint, all CX-5 models offer a 2000-pound towing capacity.

2013: For review: 2013 Mazda CX-5 First Drive – Review – Car and Driver
------For specs and price with options click under "Mazda CX-5 Research" just off to right middle at top of page.

Video:
(Pics of exterior & interior).

Other Videos:
(good descriptive video & test drive)
(test drive)
(at the race track!?)

JAPAN'S 2012 Car of the Year

Attached Thumbnails Welcome To The Mazda Family... The New CX-5!!!-yosemitesam4.jpg   Welcome To The Mazda Family... The New CX-5!!!-imagescal5jrmb.jpg  

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 02-08-2013 at 05:42 PM. Reason: More Video Links
Old 02-29-2012, 08:02 PM

Test drove one tonight. Very nice. Thought I would get a Mazda 3 GS-SKY to replace my Protege 5 but the back seat was too small. It looks like the CX-5 will fit my needs. The handling for a car this size is great and the 6-speed manual shifter is excellent. If Mazda Canada has a good promo on it in the next few months I'll be getting it.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:09 AM

Test drove one today as well. Going from a manual Mazda 3 SP23 to the Auto AWD CX-5 Grand Touring was surprising. The CX-5 had an edge up on the Mazda 3 in every department except for acceleration.

The rear space is extremely good. It was lacking in the Mazda 3, in which I was a difficult task to take 4 adults for a drive.

Another thing I found extremely good was the 40/20/40 seats, which fold flat from releases in the boot. The headrests in Europe/Asia/Australia recess in a Volvo style to allow the seats to fold flat without removing the headrests. Strangely, the US/Canada spec receives normal headrests requiring a removal prior to putting seats down (why, I have no idea). The other bonus is that it leaves the rear window with very good visibility.

Europe/Asia/Australia Rear Headrests
US/Canada Rear Headrests

Looking forward to the arrival of the diesels next week. Media reports so far are all complaining about the lack of grunt from the petrol engine. With double the torque from half the rpm, the diesel is expected to represent the majority of sales in Australia.

Another handy feature was the blind spot monitoring. I thought it would be a gimmick, but it was surprisingly handy.
The TomTom was very easy to use and possibly one of the best in-car GPS units I've ever used. Great to see that it didn't require a CD/DVD to be inserted either.

Mazda Australia expanded their site today to include videos that are very informative:
http://www.mazda.com.au/vehicles/cx-5/media-gallery

Last edited by Glenn Stewart; 03-01-2012 at 03:23 AM.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:42 AM

I'm not sure why the headrests in North America are different. I wish they were the same as the rest of the world.

Also here in Canada, there has been no official word on when or even if the diesel will be available. Right now all we have is the petrol engine. And if the diesels do come to Canada it will probably won't be until summer 2013 and in the new Mazda 6 first.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:01 PM

We (myself and my wife) tested one today and we actually were able to fold rear seats completely, but that may be due to their position - it was fine for me so I did not try to push driver seat all the way back.
Anyway, we liked it so much that we actually got one on order. Let's see if they deliver on the promises to get the car in our chosen color here within a week.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:10 AM

Looks like I'm the first to actually buy one

I bought it earlier today. I was so impressed I just had to have one!

White touring fwd.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:19 AM

Congrats bOLsAK3 and Tomasz. Looking forward to hearing about your ownership experience. Where are you guys at? Tomasz are you Polish?

Old 03-04-2012, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

I'll second that.
I've always been more of a sports car or muscle car kinda' guy, but this new car interests me. Very curious about it with day-to-day living.

But what Mazda should do is offer a turbocharged petrol version, as well as a diesel option.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by DomD
Congrats bOLsAK3 and Tomasz. Looking forward to hearing about your ownership experience. Where are you guys at? Tomasz are you Polish?
Yes I am, but the CX-5 will be driven on the Iowa's roads :-)

It's going to by a daily driver for my wife who refuses to drive while sitting on the pavement (e.g. sedan, hatchback and the like). We almost bought CR-V, but then we stopped by Mazda's dealership yesterday (almost by mistake) on our way to Nissan to test drive Rouge. Suffice to say - we never made it to Nissan.

The sales guy let us take the car for 2-3h so we test drove it around town with a little bit of highway (~5 miles). I put about 50 miles just driving around and with no special effort at the end of the ride the trip computer was showing 27.9mpg average. Quite impressive I woud say. The only downside is lack of torque. I'm sure that the 2.2l diesel they offer back in Europe is much better match for CX-5'a weight. The gas engine has to work really hard, but it does the job, I had no problems merging or keeping with the traffic flow. It's not sporty by any mean of imagination but it's not supposed to be.

List of things I liked:
- CX-5 downshifts aggressively when you hit the brakes. I don't know if it does the same in other Mazdas but I really like when it shifts down at every stop light (keeps rpm in 2000-2500 range).
- small pleasing thing - cruise control stays on even if you shut down the engine and lock the car. This is one of my biggest pet peeves in new car - why can't the cruise control be armed all the time? Why do I have to hit two buttons whenever I want to engage it after engine shut down? Mazda took care of it for me and I'm sold.
- and last but not least - when you pair your phone with the car you have a choice to pair phone and A2DP music player separately. Which is nice - you can keep your phone connected to the car but keep your text and push sounds at phone where you won't miss them when the FM is playing.

We have ordered Metro Gray Mica FWD CX-5 Touring. Dealer promised to have it delivered by the end of next week.

Last edited by Tomasz; 03-04-2012 at 03:35 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Welcome To The Mazda Family... The New CX-5!!!