Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2021, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Sanger Rainsford
Yes, that is what the dealer said - still don't know what it was, and neither do they as Corp didn't want them tearing into it.
Ok well aside from my freind GAsierra that still needs to tour a modern auto manufacturing plant lol , the "really" comment you made still does not point to a defect from a manufactured transmission. I looked for TSB and other empirical DATA that would at least cause some to go go hmmm?? but NOPE. Now because it is on a forum it will get added to some one else down the road that will find your thread or response and say look it happened to this guy there is a problem with MAZDA transmission. LOL All you really pointed out is that someone sold MAZDA to warranty the transmission for you. This subject on many warranties goes far beyond what most think is covered by a manufacture and what get credited to a dealership on claims. Unless someone works for a dealer ship in the management level that deals with this even for me it is far to much to try to type and explain. I know we have one member that is a MAZDA Trained Mechanic that can support a little what I am saying should he read this thread?

Its how MYTHs grow on the WWW !

GAsierra I respect what you did once but you did age yourself!

In the end why did you post when you got great customer service form your dealer and MAZDA what was the point?
You gave little information to show what happened and in the end no one will ever know if it was a defect or something you did!

Old 03-19-2021, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Ok well aside from my freind GAsierra that still needs to tour a modern auto manufacturing plant lol , the "really" comment you made still does not point to a defect from a manufactured transmission. I looked for TSB and other empirical DATA that would at least cause some to go go hmmm?? but NOPE. Now because it is on a forum it will get added to some one else down the road that will find your thread or response and say look it happened to this guy there is a problem with MAZDA transmission. LOL All you really pointed out is that someone sold MAZDA to warranty the transmission for you. This subject on many warranties goes far beyond what most think is covered by a manufacture and what get credited to a dealership on claims. Unless someone works for a dealer ship in the management level that deals with this even for me it is far to much to try to type and explain. I know we have one member that is a MAZDA Trained Mechanic that can support a little what I am saying should he read this thread?

Its how MYTHs grow on the WWW !

GAsierra I respect what you did once but you did age yourself!

In the end why did you post when you got great customer service form your dealer and MAZDA what was the point?
You gave little information to show what happened and in the end no one will ever know if it was a defect or something you did!
I'm not sure I really understood this post, but here goes. All the guy did is post that he bought a new Mazda, the transmission didn't work correctly, the dealer agreed to replace it, he didn't think it should fail so soon. Everything he said was logically believable since I'm pretty sure the dealer wouldn't agree to replace a transmission it hadn't verified was defective. So, he doesn't have to prove to anyone here the transmission was defective, the dealer has already done that. Someone's assertion that the owner might have ruined the transmission himself is less probable than a new transmission failing. Not that it's not possible (which I'm not sure about with a modern transmission), but most modern cars have computers and black-boxes that would indicate (read tattle about) that kind of abuse. Then you have motive. Why would anyone go through the hassle of replacing a brand new working transmission with another brand new working transmission? Finally, having been thru this myself with a Toyota dealership, let me assure everyone that dealers DON'T want to replace transmissions under warranty if they can possibly avoid it. So why not just take the post at face value and be done with it?

Old 03-20-2021, 02:02 AM

Well, I bought the CX 5 partly to avoid CVT. That a reputable brand has a transmission that fails for reasons unknown at under 1K miles astounds me in this day /age. That is why the "really ?" At least now I should get the 2021 tranny and maybe the problem has been eliminated.

Old 03-20-2021, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Sanger Rainsford
I bought a 2020 Signature, drove it little because of covid. Yesterday, with 986 miles on the odometer, the transmission went out. They are going to
replace it, but man, a car with less than 1K miles on it - really?!
What were the symptoms of the failure?

Old 03-22-2021, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by CarpeDiem
Really. All brands have uncommon breakdowns, it just sucks when it’s yours. While you didn’t tell us exactly what broke, early failure of transmissions is not often reported. I hope your new one lasts 100x as long...

They do indeed! Not long before I left employment we had a 2021 Escalade with 300 Miles and a horrible ratcheting sound while moving forward from the area of transmission/transfer case. We opened a case with GM technical assistance center with an audio file and they quickly came back with a reply to replace the transmission not the transfer case. The tech involved questioned it a bit as it did sound like the transfer case; they owned up that someone had dropped a fastener into it on the assembly line(??). We would have loved to open it up but of course GM wanted it back intact. The customer was rather unpleasant about it so we had to buy it back but that happens.

2019 XT4 150 Miles and A/C inop; evaporator leak - one of the worst dashes I had to remove in my 36 years of wrenching. I think I had 20+ Hours in it. (The ATS isn't much better!)

I forget which GM engine but there was possible metal flash in the oil pump housing so we had to drive it (a new unsold vehicle) in a proscribed manner and if it started making noise get it towed back and replace engine.

Certain 2021 engines in GM trucks had a possible valve problem (if I recall correctly) and we had to run them at 2600 (I think; somewhere around that RPM) for several Hours while monitoring it for signs of distress. If it passed change the oil and put it back on the lot.

Just before I left there was a notice about certain 2021 transmissions that might not have a clip seated properly; we had to repeatedly shift it P-R-D, D-R-P (30 times I think?) and if it developed a "shift bump" during that it got a new transmission.

A few examples and I'm not bashing GM since they were my employer for 7.5 Years those are the ones I had to draw on; I'm sure a Ford tech (or any other make) would share similar stories.