Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2021, 01:46 PM
Default Transmission

I bought a 2020 Signature, drove it little because of covid. Yesterday, with 986 miles on the odometer, the transmission went out. They are going to
replace it, but man, a car with less than 1K miles on it - really?!

Old 03-19-2021, 01:50 PM

#$%^ happens. Looks like they are doing the right thing and replacing it instead of wasting your time while they trying to repair it. Usually with problems like this, Mazda corporate wants the part returned so they can do a post mortem on it.

Old 03-19-2021, 02:02 PM

This happened to me on a Toyota Camry and I had to actually take the service manager out in the car to get them to replace it. So, for being unlucky with a new transmission, it came out pretty well.

Old 03-19-2021, 02:03 PM

Really. All brands have uncommon breakdowns, it just sucks when it’s yours. While you didn’t tell us exactly what broke, early failure of transmissions is not often reported. I hope your new one lasts 100x as long...

Old 03-19-2021, 02:11 PM

Sorry this happened. I can understand what a giant pain and big-time disappointment this might be. Hopefully this is the only issue you will ever encounter and you'll go on to enjoy thousands of trouble-free miles. I have a 2019 Signature and I absolutely love it. When you get yours back I am certain you will feel the same. I am sure the dealer has/will given/give you a new loaner to enjoy while this is being done. I am sure corporate wants to know why this transmission was obviously bad right "out of the box". I can understand how you are feeling about this. Many years ago, I bought a new Acura MDX. "Right out of the box" things like radio failure, annoying rattles, dead battery, etc. all happened in the first few weeks of ownership. I was amazed (among many other emotions). I did an investigation and found that that particular car was begun being assembled one month, then left partially assembled while the factory was shutdown, then hastily finished once everybody came back to work. I determined Acura quality was an oxymoron.

Old 03-19-2021, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Sanger Rainsford
I bought a 2020 Signature, drove it little because of covid. Yesterday, with 986 miles on the odometer, the transmission went out. They are going to
replace it, but man, a car with less than 1K miles on it - really?!
I am sorry that happened. Why are you repeating this on multiple threads? LOL
https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/maz...-issues-46616/

Here is my quote from the other thread ^^^^^^^you cut and past your post from or Vice versa ? LOL
Originally Posted by Callisto
I really hate when people post responses like that without the details "REALLY"!
How about post up the service write up and diagnostic report? At 1000 miles something BROKE and I would likely say not common by any means with these transmission which are very well designed to go 100K trouble free miles! So before the really... next time more information!

Last edited by Callisto; 03-19-2021 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-19-2021, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Sanger Rainsford
I bought a 2020 Signature in May. Yesterday, with 986 miles on it, the transmission went out. They are going to replace it, but man ,really ?!?
Any manufacturer of items with tolerances is going to have an occasional example of products go bad.

With things as mechanically complex as engines and transmissions, about the only thing I find surprising is that such stuff doesn't happen with greater frequency. Good to hear that Mazda is going to cover the replacement.

One of the reasons I tend to prefer a gently-used pre-owned vehicle to a new one, all things considered. A "cream puff" that's had >20Kmi of mostly highway miles is likely to have already shown its "colors" if it had a "lemon" component part on it.

Old 03-19-2021, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by GAsierra
Any manufacturer of items with tolerances is going to have an occasional example of products go bad.

With things as mechanically complex as engines and transmissions, about the only thing I find surprising is that such stuff doesn't happen with greater frequency. .
I recommend to take a tour some day at a auto manufacturing plant. What you are saying may have been more or less reasonable but still an assumption even 30 years ago now go farther back like 4 or more decades ago then sure. More human and less computer programed and controlled process. The current machining process have a program that constantly measures for tolerances during the machining of parts and will literally stop the process and several alarms go off to have it checked by a human before a restart. And most application machining process not one person generally can simply start the process up taking two or more to approve a restart.

Old 03-19-2021, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
I recommend to take a tour some day at a auto manufacturing plant. What you are saying may have been more or less reasonable but still an assumption even 30 years ago ...
Been there. Did computer systems design and support in manufacturing plants. Know the basics well, on those points.

True enough, modern robotics and modern CNC sure helps. Deming's push (along with many others) toward continuous improvement has paid wonderful dividends, along with heavy implementation of more-exacting manufacturing tools and processes at many stages.

Still, problems occasionally occur. Even with how much more exacting and error-free items tend to be. Tooling still wears out. Humans still have "glitches" in concentration and attention to detail. Robotics occasionally can't guard against the stray impurity in the cavity or screw hole or whatever, allowing minor problems to occur from time to time. To say nothing of the desire for cost-avoidance in the short run (in designs and component choices), where the long-run costs are discounted within the MTBF/warranty "game."

I'm all for all of the steps you mention existing everywhere, at all suppliers, at every station, for every component part and assembly of every product made by a company with as complex a unit to build as an automotive manufacturer. Don't know that I'll still be around once that finally happens. Hasn't happened yet. Nor in large appliances. Nor in many other manufacturing and building industries one can think of.

Point is: dung happens, and the whirligig still spins. Even if automation in places yields benefits and continuous improvement has reduced the error rate dramatically. Now and then, something's going to fail even with those things.

Old 03-19-2021, 05:04 PM

Yes, that is what the dealer said - still don't know what it was, and neither do they as Corp didn't want them tearing into it.

Quick Reply: Transmission