Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof Explosion!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2021, 09:47 PM
Unhappy Sunroof Glass Exploding

Originally Posted by Cynomin
Good News everyone who saw my post "Sunroof Explosion." Mazda Corp is going to reimburse my insurance deductible! Thank you MAZDA!
My 2021 CX-5 had a similar issue. Today I was driving with no other cars around, no over passes, and suddenly a loud bang and my sunroof blew out (glass shattered and scratched up my roof). My sunroof was closed and luckily the sun screen caught the glass. the glass was bowed upward not down. Had the car for 3 months with 1200 miles. Not happy. Mazda dealership said it wasn't covered but to bring it in and if they see a defect it will be covered but if everything looks fine I'm out a $1,000 deductible. I have a strange feeling it will look fine. No damage to roof as if something bounced of sunroof and then his top of car. No damage to the sun shade that was closed, no foreign object located on sunshade. Very strange on how or why this happened.

***Update:
Took to Mazda dealer I purchased from. Was told it was probably hit by a rock and because it is tempered glass it popped. They said they would submit a claim through Mazda and replace the sunroof and repaint the top of car that got scratched up by the broken glass. They gave me a loaner Mazda 6 while they are working on car. Car should be done in one week and covered (no cost to me). It is great that Mazda is standing behind their vehicles. I will update again when I receive my car back.

Several reasons for the posting, if you experience sunroof explosion you are not alone and you didn't do anything (you are not lying and trying to get a free sunroof). Another reason is take this info to your Mazda dealer and let them know not only is it happening to others, Mazda is repairing the cars sunroof and paint job at no cost. It was put under warranty.

Last edited by BHipkins; 07-06-2021 at 04:46 PM.
Old 07-06-2021, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
deleted its not worth another argument...
I wish we had a couple actual structural or building engineers on this forum... me I only have an Aircraft Structural Analysis and Modification Certification. lol
I am amused by the arm chair theorist and gum shoes answers however!
It sounds like you have a theory? Care to share what you think the cause might be? I did not have this issue with my '19 over its 20k and hope my '21 doesn't either, but you never know.

Old 07-06-2021, 12:08 PM

Clearly not enough 'wiggle' room for heat expansion. Perhaps the closer mechanism holds it shut to tight, or slightly
less likely, side slides are not allowing expansion. The black tint doesn't help either.

My 2¢

Old 07-07-2021, 10:42 AM

It sure is strange. All the photos clearly show the glass exploding out from the inside which certainly seems to go against the suggestion of a rock or other object hitting the glass and breaking it. I don't recall seeing a lot of spontaneous breakage of side windows in cars. So is it the sunroof being on the roof? Maybe something about the angle? I had a 2007 Audi Q7 for many years (7 to be exact) and never had an issue with the panoramic sunroof glass - but it had the dreaded roof leak from bad drains which had to be repaired.

Old 07-09-2021, 11:14 AM
IB Staff

that is more than enough of the personal attacks. all are welcome to share their views, opinions, experience and knowledge. talk up your own info, don't worry about attempting to discredit others.

Old 07-09-2021, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Robb M.
that is more than enough of the personal attacks. all are welcome to share their views, opinions, experience and knowledge. talk up your own info, don't worry about attempting to discredit others.
Robb, why does this forum stand for a member that insults anyone who has an opinion that disagrees with him. Many other forums have banned him and yet he remains here. I suspect the other forums that are willing to let him go have received many of our former members in exchange.

Old 07-09-2021, 02:01 PM
IB Staff

there are definitely more than one who seem to revert to personal commentary. if everyone could instead focus on the technical discussions at hand, and be a little more tolerant of others who have differing viewpoints that would probably improve the decorum for all

Old 07-27-2021, 06:15 PM
Default 2020 exploding sunroof!!!

Be very aware of Exploding Sunroofs in the 2020 Mazda CX-5 GT. Less than 1 year old, under 20000 km. Exploded outward on a pleasant day, quiet highway at 110 km/hr.. Startling blast, ear damaging?, Had just finished an oil change and washing at Gary Moe Mazda, Red Deer, Alberta. (10 minutes earlier. Mazda Canada will not cover the sunroof glass replacement ($600 Can.)
Will check our insurance, but obviously it’s a Mazda DEFECT, and will be reported to Consumer Reports as well.

Old 07-27-2021, 06:25 PM

Sorry to hear of your sunroof problem. Seems to happen too often in all brands. I suspect less in Mazda than in the ones with the panoramic roofs.

Search the forum. There was a post on the topic a month or two back.

Old 07-28-2021, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by jmartin
There are some great members on the forum. I had no idea how far back the problem with sunroofs went.
The strange thing to me is how some are covered by warranty and others are denied... I don't understand how they would come up with a different answer unless a rock was found inside the car.

Quick Reply: Sunroof Explosion!