Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Soul Red Crystal Metallic

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by bobm
Congratulations on a beautiful car. I don't like to tell people how to spend their money,but I think you may want to consider PPF on the front end of your car.
We just got our 2021 GT-R Soul Red/Parchment - it is a beautiful combination! First thing I did was put PPF on the front bumper, full hood, full fenders, A pillars, mirrors, across the roof in front of the sun roof - basically everything facing forward. Also did the top of the rear bumper where the lift gate is to protect from loading/unloading scratches. Body color side molding on order. Also ceramic coating for the rest of the car is being scheduled. Goal is to keep the SRCM looking good for as long as possible. Yes, I am ****.....

Old 05-04-2021, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by AZCX5
We just got our 2021 GT-R Soul Red/Parchment - it is a beautiful combination! First thing I did was put PPF on the front bumper, full hood, full fenders, A pillars, mirrors, across the roof in front of the sun roof - basically everything facing forward. Also did the top of the rear bumper where the lift gate is to protect from loading/unloading scratches. Body color side molding on order. Also ceramic coating for the rest of the car is being scheduled. Goal is to keep the SRCM looking good for as long as possible. Yes, I am ****.....
And of course,avoiding commercial car washes....
That's exactly what I had done with the PPF. Which coating?

Old 05-04-2021, 05:13 PM

SunTek Reaction. It add a ceramic "layer" to the self-healing PPF. Supposed to be pretty good stuff. So far it's held up for the first 500 miles of it's application. Another 1000 miles coming up this next week. Then it gets it's first real detailing.

My cars have never seen the inside of a commercial car wash. Well, maybe my 20 yr old Tacoma has once in a while.....

Old 05-29-2021, 08:55 AM
Default Thanks!

Originally Posted by bobm
Congratulations on a beautiful car. I don't like to tell people how to spend their money,but I think you may want to consider PPF on the front end of your car.
Thanks for the feedback!! I did take your advice and went with a full-front PPF including fenders, full hood, and mirrors. I also had a ceramic coating on top it looks awesome!! I'll have to upload a pic.

Old 05-29-2021, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Geebee123
Thanks for the feedback!! I did take your advice and went with a full-front PPF including fenders, full hood, and mirrors. I also had a ceramic coating on top it looks awesome!! I'll have to upload a pic.
Sure, post a pic - or two. What coating?

Old 06-09-2021, 11:30 AM

i have a 2018 blue mica. i have not used it a great deal in the few first years but have done so more in 2020-21. It only has about 10k on it and has developed multiple chips on the hood. the size and design of the hood does seem like it makes it more susceptible to this type of stuff but it seems pretty clear that there is an issue with paint durability, very frustrating to say the least and not sure what to really do at this point. i dont imagine the dealer would be willing to do anything this far into owernship.

Last edited by dal524; 06-09-2021 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-09-2021, 09:44 PM

Not quoting anyone if you think it is about you , I cant help that!

I had my hood repainted using Ditzler paints and a very strong clear coat applied by one of the best Custom Paint shops in the western United states. The same thing happened after several thousand miles. Its not MAZDA paint. Get your hood repainted spend a couple thousand on the best paint and clear coat and do your normal driving.... you WILL get the same chips in the hood.

Auto manufacture DONT design cars to be paint resistant efficient!

Then before you go on a rant go and learn about aerodynamics in car designing and learn what happens to many vehicles using a program not a wind tunnel to design car design to improve efficiency lowering emissions and improve MPG.

Then go get a clear bra and covering and stop complaining!

Last edited by Callisto; 06-09-2021 at 09:48 PM.
Old 06-10-2021, 08:01 AM

Last September I was purchasing a 2021 CX-30. I wanted it in red but my sales rep told me to avoid red as there were issues. I went with white, The red is so much more attractive, but......

Old 06-10-2021, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by geekgwk
Last September I was purchasing a 2021 CX-30. I wanted it in red but my sales rep told me to avoid red as there were issues. I went with white, The red is so much more attractive, but......
About the only issues with some colors on some vehicles is body and paint shops have trouble color matching some color ( not necessarily RED) even when they used the factory color code.
I went out last night on my Mica Black 2018 and counted 148 chips in the hood alone on a hood re-painted a year ago. I only have 33k miles. I just laughed at the front bumper and was not going to count the chips but it looked close to about the same as the hood maybe more because it is still original paint? It is what it is and it is not because my car was "RED". I also have been looking at various MAZDA that have come into the shop in the last year....they are all the same no matter what color the front end takes chips not discriminating about color. LOL

And yes I hate MYTHs without empirical Data or factual information on vehicles forums.... most I ignore but this RED paint MYTH is just ridiculous!

Dealership "sales Reps" are not hired for their vast worldly knowledge but to make sales.

Old 06-10-2021, 09:39 AM

Callisto: I never knew that you were an expert on everthing!😜

I do appreciate my Sales Rep informing about concern on the red paint. He could have not done this JUST TO MAKE THE SALE. Thank you to him. 👍

Quick Reply: Soul Red Crystal Metallic