Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soul Red Crystal Metallic

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by paris1
And so are we to assume this blanket condemnation of Mazda products is based on one poor paint job?
Seriously, what on earth is your problem? This thread was on topic until you come in to troll, bashing other cars. No, I had more issues with this than the paint and had many problems with the Miata. But none of that should even BE in this thread because the rest of us stayed on point. If you need to troll go somewhere else.

Old 10-21-2018, 02:40 PM

Sweetpete any update?

Old 10-21-2018, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by jdthird
Sweetpete any update?
Supposed to get it back tomorrow or Tuesday. Once I get the call, and whether I accept it or refuse to take it back because of a substandard paint job, I'll post my "review" here. Thanks for asking!

Old 10-21-2018, 10:28 PM

Hope it goes well. Remember also check all the plastic panels behind everything, wheelwells, etc... That was where I had issues, they didn't get the things assembled right, doors caught and pulled and broke it when opened... Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Old 10-26-2018, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Arthur
As I suspect, the "original" Soul Red Metallic is generally accepted to be not fit for purpose. The paint does not stand up to normal day-to-day and environmental driving conditions. Any attempt to quantify the extent of the damage should be related to the milage covered by the car. That is, at 10,000 miles my car had 14 definite chips through to the base layer. At 15,000 miles it had 25 "chips". Extrapolating to 30,000 miles I would envisage there being in excess of 50. Given that there are another two winters before I reach 30,000 miles, and that I first noticed the chips after last winter (possibly related to the paints performance in cold weather/ salt covered roads) I expect the damaged may be much worse. Even at 30,000 my car will still be under warranty. I have logged this issue with Mazda UK and with the manufacturering plant in Hiroshima. No luck with either at the moment.
I have a 2017 MX5 in Soul Red and the chips are appearing in my bonnet too. I took the car to a local dealer who tested the paint thickness and was told that there was not a problem. The chips carried on increasing even though I have only done 5000 miles.I then went back to the dealer in Leeds and was sent to their body shop to get the paint tested. My understanding from friends in the trade is that paint thicknesses should be between 100 and 120 microns. My paint is only 57 in places. Even the body shop guy seemed surprised at this. The dealer wrote to Mazda and they took my car in and lent me a replacement. Yesterday the dealer rang to say that Mazda were not prepared to do anything and he even said the soul red paint was brittle. I am absolutely disgusted by this and will be going to citizens advice, the ombudsman and to the office of fair trading. Mazda seem to know there is a problem but still bombard us with adverts for cars painted in soul red. I for one will not be buying a Mazda ever again and I will actively encourage people to stay away from the brand. Is it time to put this on social media and shame Mazda into action?

Old 10-26-2018, 09:13 AM

My condolences on the lack of action over there. That definitely isn't acceptable considering what Mazda USA is doing for people with this issue. Clearly they know there's an issue if they're doing what they're doing for people here in the US. It's not like the problem magically vanishes outside of the borders here. In addition to social media you may want to start contacting some people in the auto magazine trade as well, and ask if they've ever looked into the issue for a story. Would be nice to see someone in the field actually research and write up the problem in a trade magazine to help bring more awareness about the issue... Just don't give up, keep nagging, keep pushing. There's clearly a defect and you shouldn't have to go through this much effort to get them to make it right...

Old 10-30-2018, 03:38 PM

Over a thousand chips on hood, pillars, roof, front fenders and both side of the car. After going to my dealer, they sent me to the paint shop for a quote, $5000 to paint the entire car. The paint shop told me they paint a Mazda once a week. They are the only one that accepted to paint the crystal red as they cannot reproduce the exact color. He told me that he has to apply 5 coats of clear coat, one of which is a tinted clear coat. They have to paint the whole car since they can't match the paint. A Mazda dealer in Donacona Quebec don't let crystal red car leave the dealership without a 3M film on the hood, bumper, pillars, mirrors and 6 inches on the front of the roof. One month later the paint shop called me in order to bring the car to get painted. Mazda came through and they at least will fix the problem. Now lets see what the paint will look like.

Old 10-30-2018, 04:26 PM

Ewww... They had mine for a month, so I know it's a long process. SweetPete's was out even longer...

Haven't heard from SweetPete yet for how his delivery went. My paint looked alright except in the areas where the door closed, and the inside of the sunroof. You could see overlap in those areas. Just make sure you check everything - all the hidden black plastic panels behind the exterior panels, like the wheel wells, doors, hood, etc... Those were the areas I had problems and things hadn't been reassembled well. Do not drive out until you've opened all doors, hood, trunk, etc.... In my case, opening doors on the passenger side when I got home ended up with plastic fasteners broken on the garage floor....

Old 10-30-2018, 05:23 PM

I will be looking for a perfect job, nothing less. It is a new car and I expect to receive a new car. I have the full blown model with white leather. The car drives amazing and winters are no longer a problem. They told me it is a 60 hours job. We'll see. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 10-30-2018, 05:29 PM

I was lucky, I was trading to something else so I had more freedom to just get out of the situation. And yes, it's a surprising car. I was first turned onto it by reading all the articles about how Mazda clearly listened to customer feedback and addressed issues like road noise and such. It wasn't the most expensive care I've owned despite being their most loaded model, but it was by far the quietest. The lack of road noise, wind noise, outside noise, it was just amazing compared to anything else. And while some people have complained about the infotainment control ****, that's the one thing I miss the MOST - it was SO convenient, right there where the hand hung when my arm was on the armrest. Never had to touch the screen or reach out for nearly anything. Well designed in so many respects, but man, they really dropped the ball with their special, extra cost paint... Good luck!

Quick Reply: Soul Red Crystal Metallic