Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SD Nav Card

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2023, 03:38 PM

Personally, unless I was someone who's job required me to be on unfamiliar roads constantly, I wouldn't waste money to pay for updates.
There just aren't enough "new roads" that most of us are likely to ever travel on to pay for map updates.
About the only updates I ever really see here up in New England, are new on/off ramps and/or exit number changes and extra lane additions.
Other than rural housing, trailer park roads, there have virtually been no new roads built in my state for as long as I can recall.
And we barely maintain the ones we already have.
Besides, I'm fond of real maps, they're like vinyl records, lossless format

Old 01-01-2023, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
Besides, I'm fond of real maps
Real maps? Where are you getting them from? I’ve got a Rand McNally road atlas that must be 20 years old. Heck, I’m so old; I remember when you could pick up maps (for free no less) at gas stations.

Old 01-02-2023, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Gozo
Real maps? Where are you getting them from? I’ve got a Rand McNally road atlas that must be 20 years old. Heck, I’m so old; I remember when you could pick up maps (for free no less) at gas stations.
Hahahaha...
I recall those free ones were back in the days when there were only a few paved roads, the roads here are reverting back to dirt
You can get a new up to date Rand McNally Road Atlas for less than $20 delivered to your mailbox.
I used to do most of my traveling by motorcycle, so maps (especially waterproof ones) were the norm for me.

Old 01-02-2023, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
Personally, unless I was someone who's job required me to be on unfamiliar roads constantly, I wouldn't waste money to pay for updates.
There just aren't enough "new roads" that most of us are likely to ever travel on to pay for map updates.
About the only updates I ever really see here up in New England, are new on/off ramps and/or exit number changes and extra lane additions.
Other than rural housing, trailer park roads, there have virtually been no new roads built in my state for as long as I can recall.
And we barely maintain the ones we already have.
Besides, I'm fond of real maps, they're like vinyl records, lossless format
Well couple thing my freind... I always like my AAA and get the latest maps as a back-up for the back-up. Yuu can't beat a good old fashion paper map. I pranked my son this Christmas because we were talking about inaccurate GPS he is MR TECH and though is was ridiculas. Funny thing when he looked at it he thought it was a good idea. He travel 80k+ miles a year on California only. And most is from San Fransisco south. So we do have contaly changing roads and there is no current SD that has all the new roads. But a AAA map has at least the last 1-1.15 years current.

Funny you mention records. Years ago I finally gave into the times and offed my equipment. This including selling my record collection all but a few 45's. The wife for some reason wanted a record player... so I got a Amazon special for her for x-mas. It is nothing like my BSR Linear tracking turn table but I had forgotten how crystal clear the music was. So now we are looking for records... LOL Her boss gave her the collection she had but it was abvous she was a "HIPPIE" from the type of music. In the collection was several Beatles album including a serial numbered WHITE album . So needless to say I have already wired the system into my surround sound and let me tell you its fun to flip records ,hear the crackling sounds of old vinyl and also records near perfect all the dynamic sound reproduction filling our house.

Old 01-02-2023, 06:29 PM

Records...yep, ditched mine for CD's and now those are on solid state drives. I've yet to take the 800 or so of them to the local music store.
45's I used for skeet shooting long ago...
I did sell most of albums and gave the rest to another audiophile friend.
I had over 2000 at one time and most with the original plastic sleeve delicately sliced open to get the album out but still protecting the cover.
I too, had a bunch of special imports, colored vinyl, out of print or one printing original album covers that got me a good return.
The Golden Earring Moontan album - Nude Cover netted me a tidy profit.
I had single play Technics, Micro Seiki and Thorens turntables, just the cartridges I used for them 45 years ago were $200 a pop.
I'm still running my Sansui AU-D77X integrated amp it's a beast and I think gave me a hernia once.
It has DC amp which would not interfere with the magnetics on my turntables.
It still can blast out the neighborhood...until I grab one of my guitars and crank up my other amps
Yes, AAA is great I haven't changed a flat tire for decades, except on my lawn mower.

Last edited by Lobstah; 01-02-2023 at 06:31 PM.
Old 01-03-2023, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by MTLDDS
Getting ready to install Nav card. Saw a YouTube and car was on when SD card inserted.
Read online article that said to have car off and install card, then turn on car to see if it installed correctly.

Thoughts?
I Installed my Card with car off. Then turned on car to complete installation. Never ended with car on. I had to turn off and then turn on again. Installation showed compeleted.

Old 01-11-2023, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Well couple thing my freind... I always like my AAA and get the latest maps as a back-up for the back-up. Yuu can't beat a good old fashion paper map. I pranked my son this Christmas because we were talking about inaccurate GPS he is MR TECH and though is was ridiculas. Funny thing when he looked at it he thought it was a good idea. He travel 80k+ miles a year on California only. And most is from San Fransisco south. So we do have contaly changing roads and there is no current SD that has all the new roads. But a AAA map has at least the last 1-1.15 years current.

Funny you mention records. Years ago I finally gave into the times and offed my equipment. This including selling my record collection all but a few 45's. The wife for some reason wanted a record player... so I got a Amazon special for her for x-mas. It is nothing like my BSR Linear tracking turn table but I had forgotten how crystal clear the music was. So now we are looking for records... LOL Her boss gave her the collection she had but it was abvous she was a "HIPPIE" from the type of music. In the collection was several Beatles album including a serial numbered WHITE album . So needless to say I have already wired the system into my surround sound and let me tell you its fun to flip records ,hear the crackling sounds of old vinyl and also records near perfect all the dynamic sound reproduction filling our house.

That's a nice spinner! What is that in the middle that looks like a CD tray?
I recently moved and pulled out all my cassette tapes and old walkmans and tape decks, and you know what, non of them worked! I was so bummed because it turns out the little rubber belts disintegrate standing around doing nothing for few years. Now I am trying to find belts for my tape deck (old stereo cabinet style dubbing deck). I thought I would just throw them all away and get new ones, how expensive can it be... Oh it is expensive. In fact tape decks are more expensive than record players nowadays. I also have a record player with bluetooth and audio out jacks, but most of my vinyls are new so I don't need to get creative with those. The tapes, on the other hand, got a bunch of oldies including some self-recorded tapes that I would love to listen to. Any suggestions? Maybe I'll grab one of these: QFX Radio/Cassette to MP3 Boombox Converter Black J-220BT - Best Buy but they don't look all that good to be honest.