Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pads and Discs failure

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2022, 08:41 AM
Question Pads and Discs failure

Hi all,

I wonder if there's anyone on here that can/will advise me on a brake issue?

My car has gone into the local dealer with a red brake light on and they have come back and told me I need all four pads and discs changed along with the brake fluid. My concern is that my car is only 22 months old and has just done 20,000 miles. Surely there must be an issue for all of them to fail or am I being naive?

I have gone to Mazda UK but I don't seem to be getting anywhere with them either. I would like to take this complaint further but before I do I really need to know what I'm talking about. So if there's anyone with any knowledge on here please can you share it with me?

Old 11-04-2022, 09:02 AM

I do not have an answer for you, but my opinion is that all four wheels' pads and rotors needing to be replaced at 20k miles, if true, suggests either a manufacturer defect or frequently driving with the off foot riding the brake pedal. What you are being told is not normal/average.

Best of luck........................ Frank

Old 11-04-2022, 09:23 AM

Thanks Frank,

With past experience on other new cars I have never had to even replace the pads before I sold them let alone all parts. I will fight this with Mazda UK

Old 11-04-2022, 09:40 AM

It is not normal for all brake pads and discs to wear out with 20K on the odometer.
It is also not normal for all brake pads and discs to have manufacturing defects.
That said while it is not normal it doesn't mean it can never happen.
Not knowing your driving habits and unable to see the issue in person, to offer a solution, I would just be guessing.
You could always try another Mazda dealer or mechanic and see what their diagnosis is.
At any rate you should make sure you register a formal complaint with the dealer and Mazda corporate if you haven't done so already and document it.
I would also tell the dealer you want to keep the old pads and discs as that is the only way you can verify there is/was an issue with them.
Also take a date and time stamped pic of the "brake light" being on.
With 20K, hopefully you're still under warranty.

Old 11-04-2022, 10:25 AM

Thanks for the reply Lobstah,

My thoughts entirely but I'm just a woman who knows nothing about cars, just that in all my years of driving new cars I have never had this problem. And currently its not a warranty claim but I'm waiting on Mazda UK to get back to me.

Old 11-04-2022, 11:26 AM

It not totally uncommon for people to wear their brakes at that level of miles. Unfortunately, it is about 90% of the time driver braking style.

Had you brake worn unevenly of the different axles I would at least suspect something other than driving braking style, The chances of defective pads on all 4 wheels is pretty much impossible if you understand the production assembly procedure at auto manufactures.

Last edited by Callisto; 11-04-2022 at 11:28 AM.
Old 11-04-2022, 03:26 PM
Banned

I dont think your red brake light was because your pads and rotors are worn. The red light comes on to warn you your brake fluid is low. I dont even think if the caliper pistons on all 4 brakes are extended to compensate for worn pads would even set off that "low fluid level" light. Something does not add up. You have 13mm of pad thickness when new, ask them how many mm you have left. Most lazy shops
just give you a percentage which is crap

Last edited by ctbale; 11-04-2022 at 03:29 PM.
Old 11-04-2022, 05:21 PM

Lower pad material on all 4 pads can cause the brake light to light up on a Mazda. As the pad wears there is required more fluid demand on the brake fluid reservoir to go through and supply the total brake system which is also the ABS.
knowing the miles from the last pad change and the percentage of wear gives the Technician an idea on recommendation for a brake pad and possibly other brake parts service. Also, the Technical can look at all other aspects of the braking system which gives important information of how the vehicle is driven and how the brakes are wearing with the other brake components, The main thing is SAFETY. EVERY SITUATION IS DIFFERENT and going by a single set of replacement rules may be costly in the end or dangerous. Brake pads are cheap a stay in the hospital or damaging your vehicle or worse totally a car because of poor advise and information from nine professional auto service technicians s is not! The modern braking system on vehicles from about 2010 and newer and more so the last few years are Performance level exceedingly even NASCAR of the 70's and 80's with some models.

ASE/L1/L2

Old 11-05-2022, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Towcester Girl
Thanks for the reply Lobstah,

My thoughts entirely but I'm just a woman who knows nothing about cars, just that in all my years of driving new cars I have never had this problem. And currently its not a warranty claim but I'm waiting on Mazda UK to get back to me.
You may well not know anything about cars bet never preface it with "I'm just a woman" you sell yourself short.
Remember your sex has nothing to do with your knowledge about motor vehicles.
There are plenty of people of both sexes and sexual orientations that don't have clue and plenty that do.

Old 11-05-2022, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
You may well not know anything about cars bet never preface it with "I'm just a woman" you sell yourself short.
Remember your sex has nothing to do with your knowledge about motor vehicles.

There are plenty of people of both sexes and sexual orientations that don't have clue and plenty that do.
Very good points to be sure ^^^^^^
You may appreciate this?? I raced professionally NHRA in S/G.9.90 for a number of years . My now X wife also raced as well. When we ran together in the run- what- you- brung events which was a modified streetcar she would often win the events And it didn't matter what she ran with.. Being younger than me by about a decade and 1/2 her reaction times were quicker and very consistent. And she was skilled reading the track. It also helped that she was schooled in drag racing with one-on-one training from Shirley Muldowney. LOL I let her pilot my Camaro a few times but she did say it scared the hell out of her. My Camaro coule easily run in the high 7's in the 1/4 mile and lay down about 1200whp. LOL
And to add about the accomplishment's she managed a Chief Auto Parts store and also was successfully in Mary Kay . Yes that was in the 80's and 90's. LOL I think the points about female being equally capable in automotive world in any aspect!.

Quick Reply: Pads and Discs failure