Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Is a rotary a viable option

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2023, 07:41 PM

We have no brown outs here power loss is caused by weather, accident or intentional caused equipment damage with the occasional faulty equipment failure.
I have a friend who lives 33 miles away who has a home EV charger, and he doesn't even own an EV vehicle yet but probably will by the end of the year.
It is solar and utility powered, as is his entire house, works if the utility company is down.
He has his own small wind turbine as well, lives on a small river and because of convection the wind is almost always blowing.
He gets paid for sending his excess power to the utility company. My electrical engineer friends love doing this stuff for fun.
Unfortunately for me I had built my house before they started playing with this stuff.
Granted his house solar was expensive, but in the 12 years he's been in his house he hasn't paid a single power bill, he gets a quarterly check from them.
The solar was paid off years ago and he'll be long dead (like many of us) before the panels/batteries need refurbishing/replacing.
As for nuke plants, armed guards are still guarding 1400 spent fuel rods in holding pools/cement lockers at our local nuke plant that shut down in 1996 for safety reasons. And will do so 24/7 for about another 9975 years add those costs to the decommission and demolition costs of the radioactive reactor.
I'll take solar, wind, tidal, or hydro or even geothermal, Yellowstone has a caldera full of it. Taping into it might make it less likely to blow it's top again.
Or do the opposite...unless that big asteroid gets us first

Last edited by Lobstah; 07-22-2023 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-22-2023, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
We have no brown outs here power loss is caused by weather, accident or intentional caused equipment damage with the occasional faulty equipment failure.
Wait until the power companies have to deal with the new regulations that will make maintaining gas generated electricity uneconomical for them and they start shutting them down. It's already happening in some areas. Then, you will see brownouts and even blackouts.

Old 07-23-2023, 07:19 AM

72% of Maine's energy is currently generated by renewable resources.
It's down from 79% because of the uptick in natural gas, however a new installation of a powerline for Canadian hydro power will be completed next year.
That line alone will be able to supply our state will all its electric needs for the foreseeable future and that includes EV vehicles.
We only have 1.36 million people whose age is the oldest state in the nation and we are in the bottom 5 for birth rates.
Don't get me wrong I like my ICE engines, but they are going the way of the dinosaur and it will happen much faster than people think.
It wasn't all that long ago I was using a 2400 modem to dial-up to the Internet.
And the very first mass produced EV wasn't even made until 1996.

Old 07-23-2023, 08:05 AM

72% of Maine's energy is currently generated by renewable resources.
It's down from 79% because of the uptick in natural gas, however a new installation of a powerline for Canadian hydro power will be completed next year.
That line alone will be able to supply our state will all its electric needs for the foreseeable future and that includes EV vehicles.
We only have 1.36 million people whose age is the oldest state in the nation and we are in the bottom 5 for birth rates.
Don't get me wrong I like my ICE engines, but they are going the way of the dinosaur and it will happen much faster than people think.
It wasn't all that long ago I was using a 2400 modem to dial-up to the Internet.
And the very first mass produced EV wasn't even made until 1996.
Agree. I prefer my ice engines and plan to keep any remnants of one, maybe the mazda. Not a day goes by that wish hadn't sold my 76 stang.

But some people lose fortunes and alot of the masses miss out on investment opportunities because they think they know what people want or discount new methods/products as fads. Sometimes the waves are unstoppable and today the waves move fast. EV is here to stay and will move quicker than most think, like it or not.

Last edited by kilroy22; 07-23-2023 at 08:08 AM.
Old 07-27-2023, 12:52 PM

I guess we will know for sure in another 10 or 20 years but I am on the other side. I believe ICE's will stay longer than expected by some.

Old 07-27-2023, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
I guess we will know for sure in another 10 or 20 years but I am on the other side. I believe ICE's will stay longer than expected by some.
Wait until China cuts off the battery components supply.

Old 07-27-2023, 02:19 PM
Default Not going to happen

Minerals and component's for EV batteries will be available from many sources ,not only China.

Last edited by THE CHIEF; 07-27-2023 at 02:19 PM. Reason: ok
Old 07-27-2023, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by THE CHIEF
Minerals and component's for EV batteries will be available from many sources ,not only China.
Lithium is one of the key components in electric vehicle (EV) batteries, also used by many auto manufactures like Tesla , global supplies are under strain because of rising EV demand. The world could face lithium shortages by2025,

well see... ROLMAO!

Old 07-27-2023, 06:35 PM

We have huge deposits of lithium in my state, one is believed to hold 11 million pounds.
Current local ordinances prohibit mining of, but once the value reaches a certain dollar amount those ordinances will "miraculously vanish".
There are also newer battery materials currently being developed (magnesium, sodium) as are solid state batteries, of which some are currently in the testing phase.

Old 07-28-2023, 08:05 AM

Current local ordinances prohibit mining of, but once the value reaches a certain dollar amount those ordinances will "miraculously vanish".
"Rules for thee, but not for me" lmao.

Quick Reply: Is a rotary a viable option