Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a rotary a viable option

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2023, 02:32 PM
Default Is a rotary a viable option

Looks like Mazda isn't giving up on the rotary engine . We know they make good power ,but the emissions and fuel mileage are a real problem .Add to that rotor seal life has never been to great .https://www.wavy.com/automotive/inte...ents-in-japan/

Last edited by THE CHIEF; 07-19-2023 at 02:32 PM. Reason: ok
Old 07-19-2023, 04:10 PM

I love the idea of the rotary but would be scared to own one myself. I had a coworker with an RX-8 that was on his 3rd engine (all covered under warranty) and was seriously thinking of selling it before the warranty ran out. And knowing him I doubt very much that he abused that car, quite the opposite in fact.

Old 07-19-2023, 04:25 PM

Rotary engines .... been there done that over it!
Mine was a RARE Rx 2 (fugly) with a factory hand ported rotor. Buzzzzzzzed to 13k all day long and would literally fracture and shatter the clutch disc in a thousand pieces. After changing the clutch 3 time the novelty was over . That was my first and last Rotary engine vehicle. I went back to American Muscle and steel! LOL I gave it to my friend (long time deceased) owner of a very well-respected Rotary engine performance shop Rotary Engineering. This was in the late 70's.
It is ant interesting read CHIEF!

Old 07-20-2023, 04:55 AM
Super Moderator

The rotary is making a comeback.

Unfortunately as a battery charger in the all electric MX-30

Old 07-20-2023, 10:03 AM

Rolmao

Old 07-21-2023, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator
Old 07-21-2023, 07:55 AM

Go figure..

Old 07-21-2023, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
Go figure..

LOL I am speechless....

Old 07-21-2023, 12:39 PM
Default Last days of the ICE

Originally Posted by Callisto
LOL I am speechless....
We are seeing the last days of the ICE for automobiles . It's obvious electric is the future ,weather battery or hydrogen fuel cells . I for one will miss the internal combustion engine . Like it or not we will be forced to abandon the ICE . Our government will force the issue until it will no longer be possible to afford fossil fuel for us ,and the manufactures are being burdened with the outrageous carbon tax on ICE vehicles . And of all the internal combustion engines the rotary engine is the least viable option. I can't even begin to think why Mazda would be thinking it would be viable even as a charging generator. We are driving dinosaurs ,and it's just a matter of time until ICE vehicles for transportation become extinct .

Old 07-21-2023, 12:54 PM

IMHO.... Not likely for another several decades. The math does not work in several aspects. And the technology is still far behind. What about the ability to afford an electric vehicle. And what do you do with all the ones currently on this earth. Billions of them!!! But that politics and what things you believe in and actually do the fact-finding information. Not sure if we should or allowed to open that pandora's box reading the forum guidelines about this subject? So don't be surprised when response may be get deleted. I allowed one thread only on my forum and after 6 months had to lock the thread. Wow talk about a fights and personal opinions going wild.

Just to comment my thoughts on the fly...... just from reading your response and wanting to write something... LOL
You u are old enough to remember odd even days of gas rationing that was complete BS....., the Alsakan pipe line beginning and then stopping because of BS regulations , the exon Valdez, that created fear in transporting petroleum products, the real oil crises exposed, not what we are led to believe , and why so many people that don't understand cows are a bigger problem the internal combustion modern engine?

Last edited by Callisto; 07-21-2023 at 12:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Is a rotary a viable option