Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Phantom wipers

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2023, 04:25 PM
Default Phantom wipers

I am having a problem where I turn my wipers on without rain sensing on and they keep going 4 to 5 swipes after I turn them off. I can hit missed and leave it in the opposition and they will keep swiping 4 to 5 more times. Also if I leave it on intermittent it will go four to five times then wait go 4 to 5 times then wait. It acts as if the rain sensing feature has never fully been turned off

Old 07-29-2023, 04:35 PM

Welcome to the forum

The owner's manual is a great thing to completely read whenever anyone gets a new/used vehicle.

I might also suggest that when asking help to give the year and exact model trim of your Mazda?

Old 07-29-2023, 04:44 PM

Sorry it's a 19 grand touring. Manual says to turn off rain sensing wipers for a normal intermittent wiping. I did that and that is not what is happening. They are continuing to wipe after I turn them off or if I hit missed once they go for 5 swipes sometimes.

Old 07-29-2023, 05:32 PM

When you push the wiper stock down to the first setting, that'll put it on auto. The second and third pushes downward of the wiper put it on low and then high.

Old 07-29-2023, 05:33 PM

Correct, I understand how a wiper stock works. But when I select intermittent it acts like the rain sensing is still on after I turn it off. I've done everything exactly as the manual says. If I move it up to the missed position and then back to off it continues to wipe after it's back in the off position two to three more times

Old 07-30-2023, 05:19 AM

I'm not saying you are incorrect, but I thought I knew how the wipers worked as well and I was wrong.
If you have auto wipers there is no Intermittent setting, it is Auto position 2 (see below).
In non-auto wiper sensor CX-5 position 2 is "Intermittent"
Name:  index.17.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  11.8 KB
The adjustment switch on the wiper stick is not "intermittent delay" time.
It adjusts the sensitivity of the rain sensor, and the rain sensor has a mind of its own, so I simply leave it in the center position now.
I can tell you any debris, wax or film on the windshield in front of the sensor will impact how or if it works.

Mazda CX-5 Owners Manual - Windshield Wipers and Washer - Switches and Controls (mcx5.org)

Last edited by Lobstah; 07-30-2023 at 05:23 AM.
Old 07-30-2023, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
I'm not saying you are incorrect, but I thought I knew how the wipers worked as well and I was wrong.
If you have auto wipers there is no Intermittent setting, it is Auto position 2 (see below).
In non-auto wiper sensor CX-5 position 2 is "Intermittent"
Attachment 8872
The adjustment switch on the wiper stick is not "intermittent delay" time.
It adjusts the sensitivity of the rain sensor, and the rain sensor has a mind of its own, so I simply leave it in the center position now.
I can tell you any debris, wax or film on the windshield in front of the sensor will impact how or if it works.

Mazda CX-5 Owners Manual - Windshield Wipers and Washer - Switches and Controls (mcx5.org)
This is much easier than how I tried to explain it

Old 07-30-2023, 12:44 PM

Thanks for that, the problem is when I put it into position one for mist and let it go back to off it'll Mist for five or so times not once like it's supposed to and now if I put rain sensing wipers on it'll stop halfway up the windshield

Last edited by Alaskan_CX5; 07-30-2023 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-30-2023, 01:06 PM

If you have INT (intermittent) on the wiper handle switch you do not have rain sensing wipers.
Also it is "Mist" not "Missed".
If the wipers stop halfway, then you likely have some type of mechanical/electrical issue(s).
Unfortunately, unless you have the expertise, you'll need to get it checked by a trained mechanic.