Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performing Oil Changes on 2018 CX-5 - Warranty Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 06:59 PM

All oil has moly in it of one form or another. Oils that have high amounts of moly are usually the older forms of the mineral. Moly DTC requires less to achieve the same effect.

Going to a Mazda dealer for a oil change is no guarantee that they will use the Idemitsu Mazda Moly oil. In fact, most dealers do not carry it and instead get their oil from Castrol, Valvoline or any of the major brands. The cheaper oil change specials or “free “ oil changes are usually a generic branded oil like Preferred Choice or other jobber brands.

If you are not comfortable changing your oil then by all means don’t try to do it.

Old 12-31-2018, 06:59 PM

since a used oil analysis on a Mazda was mentioned i would like to post a few FACTS & documentation of differences between 2 well known brands of oils.. The info being share is info you can get from mobil and from a VOA (Virgin oil analysis) ((unused sample).

the 3 chemicals on question are known as extreme pressure / Anti-wear additives.. As some may or may not know mazda uses oil with High amounts of Molybdenum disulfide , most oils you can purchase do NOT have this... Moly was weeded out a long time ago due to emissions & catalytic converter life span.. IF or when a engine would use / burn motor oil ... also btw moly is heavily used in race engines where emissions and Cat life are not applicable .

here are the 3 main additives in question .Phosphorus

Used as an anti-wear, anti-oxidant, extreme pressure, and corrosion inhibitor additive. Concentration levels vary greatly depending on oil brand.Zinc

Another anti-wear, anti-oxidant, and corrosion inhibitor additive also commonly found in bearing alloys. Concentration levels vary greatly depending on oil brand.Molybdenum

This is most commonly used as an anti-wear/anti-scuff additive and has an effect commonly called “Moly plating” where over time, a thin and microscopic layer of Molybdenum tends to form between contact surfaces, thereby creating a lower coefficient of friction between the two parts. Concentration levels of Molybdenum vary greatly depending on the formulation of each specific oil brand, and viscosity.

so now with those 3 being mentioned here is a comparison of the 2 oils

mobil 1 0w20 advanced fuel economy Mazda 0w20

Phosphorus 650 phosphorus 732
zinc 750 zinc 842
moly 0 moly 664

now with that being said.. will you loose your engine using mobil 1 of course now.. its not that black & white.. but what is black and white are numbers, & fine print .. all oils are NOT created equal.. and i am NOT calling mobil 1 bad or junk.. i used it in my chevy as well as Amsoil .. but this isnt about oil as much as its about following directions.. basically of my 20+ years of being on oil forums and having all my motorcycles and 2 cars UOA done by blackstone labs.. Ive come to the conclusion that in this day and age there is No BAD oil ... But that also does NOT mean all oils meet the same spec.. for instance GM dexos 2 is NOT...... NOT....the same as other motor oils.. so much so GM clearly.. Very clearly states in their warranty to use ONLY motor oil that meets their spec.. if you dont... guess what ...? yep ...
With that being said.. use what you want.. but know mazda has had a long relationship with the company that makes their oil .. ( info can be googled) . and their formula is not by mistake nor was it a accident.. They choose this for a reason.. im not going to sit here and pretend i know the exact reason. i can only speculate ( to help on cold / dry starts) ..

Last edited by Arkainzeye; 12-31-2018 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:02 PM

Also to make another point, most of the time the person changing your oil at the dealer is not a mechanic. That person can make mistakes as well.

Old 12-31-2018, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Puyapim
All oil has moly in it of one form or another. Oils that have high amounts of moly are usually the older forms of the mineral. Moly DTC requires less to achieve the same effect.

Going to a Mazda dealer for a oil change is no guarantee that they will use the Idemitsu Mazda Moly oil. In fact, most dealers do not carry it and instead get their oil from Castrol, Valvoline or any of the major brands. The cheaper oil change specials or “free “ oil changes are usually a generic branded oil like Preferred Choice or other jobber brands.

If you are not comfortable changing your oil then by all means don’t try to do it.

actually my dealer does use mazda oil.. not only do they sell it .. but when they gave me a tour of the place before i bought my car i noted 55 gal drums of oil in a blue container that had mazda written on it in White letters.. they buy it in bulk im guessing ..

Old 12-31-2018, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Puyapim
Also to make another point, most of the time the person changing your oil at the dealer is not a mechanic. That person can make mistakes as well.

the person that would NOT be a mechanic at a dealership changing your life blood of your engine .. what other jobs would they have while they are free to change customers engine oil ?

Old 12-31-2018, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Arkainzeye
the person that would NOT be a mechanic at a dealership changing your life blood of your engine .. what other jobs would they have while they are free to change customers engine oil ?

in most cases they are the oil change person. Anything else would require a technician.

Old 12-31-2018, 07:27 PM

Well that's a good thing !! Have 1 job. And do it over and over and over again! Hey i would let that guy change my oil...bet he could do it with his eyes closed.. lol

Old 12-31-2018, 10:37 PM

Please note that on this sheet it appears that Mobile one for all intense purposes can be very good motor oil. LOL NO motor oil at this time is the best above all other's.
Not a re-worded information called facts from another member but actual analysis of MAZDA motor oil and the results. LOL
Molylube (slang term) has been around for a long time. In fact I have used my own blend and combination starting from the powdered base to mix with many fluids for different purposes. But in this case in this thread it is drastically over dramatized by IMHO one member. LOL
Why can't some members use their own experience and testing instead of finding things on the internet that they think is factual without really posting the supporting documentation?
Arm chair warriors. LOL
Most anyone can look up that no one has had a valid claim denied from an auto manufacture USA for not using the minimum required specification for motor oil and demonstrating to the least prof a sign statement that they changed it at the recommended service intervals. If this statement is not correct please feel free to show the case file with any auto manufacture USA that disclaims this. Other wise I say to some member stop scaring members to think they can't change their own motor oil! REALLY.
I do this for a living and have for over 40 years not to mention owned and operated a Performance Engine Machine Shop as well several auto related shops and stores.
ARK please try to do some of your own testing and post the results !
Be informed or at least learn how you read the data on the analysis I posted.
Really for all others, DON"T be afraid to change you own oil and oil filter, air filter and many other things on your own car even if it is under warranty. Most DIY service is more about common sence and reading what is recommended from the auto manufacture to use for parts, tools and procedures for the best results with out problems. .
I challenge any member to copy and past any of my response and send them directly to MAZDA and post what they respond with.

Mazda Motor Corporation and Mazda North American Operations
1-800-955-5100
Of
Mazda North American Operations 7755 Irvine Center Drive Irvine, CA 92618

Also this is the legal part from MAZDA. Try not to read things into this that are not their or you have not talked to an attorney about there exact meaning. LOL
MAZDA
Maintenance Records - Proof of Maintenance To continue warranty eligibility and to protect your investment, it is your responsibility to properly maintain your vehicle according to factory recommended schedules outlined in your Owner’s Manual. As part of this you must keep your maintenance records, receipts, repair orders and any other documents as evidence this maintenance was performed. You must present these documents, should any warranty coverage disagreement occur. Failure to do so can result in your warranty being voided either in whole or in part. 6. To Get Warranty Service You must take your Mazda Vehicle, along with this booklet, to a Mazda Dealer in the United States, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, Saipan, American Samoa, Canada or Mexico during its normal service hours. While any Mazda Dealer will perform warranty service, Mazda recommends that you return to the dealership where you purchased your Mazda Vehicle because you have already established a relationship with them. If you have any question or need assistance regarding this warranty, refer to “When You Need to Talk to Mazda” on page 7. This evidence may consist of the following: • Original copies of repair orders or other receipts that include the mileage and date the vehicle was serviced. Each receipt should be signed by a qualified automotive service technician. Note: • The Mazda Scheduled Maintenance Record, on page 44, must be completely filled out showing mileage, repair order number, date for each service, and signed by a qualified automotive service technician who service vehicles. • For self maintenance, a statement that you completed the maintenance yourself, displaying mileage and the date the work was performed. Also, receipts for the replacement parts (fluid, filters, etc.) indicating the date and mileage must accompany this statement. If you elect to perform maintenance yourself or have your vehicle serviced at a location other than an Authorized Mazda Dealer, Mazda requires that all fluids, parts and materials must meet Mazda standards for durability and performance as described in your Owner’s Manual.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _

My last oil and filter change I used Amzoil and a MAZDA oil filter and will send in a sample to get analyzed at about the next 3,000 mile oil change.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
CCF12312018.pdf (1.17 MB, 148 views)

Last edited by Callisto; 12-31-2018 at 10:46 PM.