Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Our daughter is getting a CX-5. Sources for extended warranty? And needed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2023, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by retread888
Im not sure if you intend to purchase a new Mazda or a Used ?

My only other suggestion ...avoid cars with CVT transmissions - One reason I still buy Mazdas.
Sad that a 2015 anything is kaput ( if it was properly maintained )
CVT get a poor reputation because of the lack of servicing not so much the design. After we tested several and even deliberately blew up one on a transmission DYN and tor it down the failed p[art was the pump and it failed because of all the high millage fluid that apparently had never been changed? I would always recommend the purchasing of any used vehicle no matter what he miles are to do complete fluid changes on all component that use a liquid fluid.
BTW the old jokes about rental vehicles that are abused that MYTH has long gone a couple decades ago. the number of people that rent do not abuse the cars like in the 70"s 80"s and 90"s and even then, it was still rare. The number sold and damages reported because of a rental are so low I doubt there is any supportive evidence pointing to any informed source stating not to invest a rental. At least form the top 3 rental agencies in the USA. Which I should mention better look who sold the most used vehicle in the last 1-4 years. That in itself and the lack of MAZDA members claiming that their used Mazda that was a preowned rental has had more issues than any other used vehicle?
I might also point out that many auto dealers will buy preowned vehicles at an auction. They are not required to submit who the previous owners are. So, you would be really surprised how many that buy used vehicle may have been from a rental agency at one time?
I used to buy vehicles (Brashers auto auction) for the used car department at a Cadilac, Oldsmobile GMC, Nissan and Mazda dealership group one time. I still have my CA dealers selling ID long expired.

Old 08-17-2023, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by climbinglife
Stunningly, you've missed the point entirely. I'll try one more time. The point of that particular piece of punctuation in the written form is to add emphasis, a feeling of strong emotion or excitement. It can also come off like your yelling at whoever you're writing too. So either your really excited when you write your replies or you think somehow, it's your duty to sternly educate everyone that posts, like it's your job. It's like when a teenager uses all caps in a text. In no way would I ever get confused with being the grammar police but since your posts are laden with punctuation marks used in the wrong place, it comes off like you are scolding, yelling, condescending too, everyone you're addressing. I think I speak for more than a few people on this forum and from what I've been told, people that have had interactions with you, and left this forum, take some time and re-read what you write before hitting submit. Forums are generally a place where people come together for an exchange of ideas and a mutual love about a particular subject or hobby. Why ruin it with replies that come off superior, disrespectful and scolding? You are just going to chase good people away that have genuine questions, or just wanna post cool or fun things they've done with their car.

Also, responded to your PM, never heard back. I can't imagine why. But I have no problem talking this out there as to not muddy the forum traffic.

Apologies to the OP and moderators,
Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

-Vin
More off topic needing to be reposed to
I get over 50 pm on average everyday. I have the maximum allowed on this forum and often it gets full. I might add that on most forms there is a timer that you can not post a PM reply for 1 minute. That makes for a long day to try to respond to everyone and for those I am actively helping solve vehicle problems. FREE!!!!! LOL

I also own my own forum and have other run it. I have even had my own moderators delete some of my OFF TOPIC responses. As a few of these on this thread should and may be deleted? will see. Some times leaving them helps other see what perhaps not to post?.
Correcting anyone written English skills on any forum is well .....I posted what they ar called and you can look up the meaning?
Here just imaging I placed them in all the correct places for past and future responses from me. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
LOL

As for the new member, posting 3 times the same informatio0n on 3 different threads as well the exact information on another forum to what end?

If anyone actually goes and takes the time to look at the MADZA forums the actual number of members having the problem is less, then 12 but because so many respond it appears like a MAZDA epidemic! LOL
Posting the same information on one forum in several thread skews how many are really affected and for those actually having the issue wanting to advise and help.

Believe it or not I laugh or at least smile with 99% of the response from some members when I respond. Until you start becoming obviously offensive. Then better have your experience in the automotive industry ready because it is game on. LOL

Ending you response apologizing to the Moderatos and members really, why did you post the response on this thread then. Sort of an empty apology! lol

I suggest to go back and read ALL the response from the begin and see where it started to go off topic and whom the member was that caused that to turn in other directions.

Take this picture anyway you want to. its my sense of humor!

Last edited by Callisto; 08-17-2023 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-17-2023, 11:44 AM

Oy vey, thank you for proving my point spectacularly.

Last edited by climbinglife; 08-17-2023 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-17-2023, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by climbinglife
Oy vey, thank you for proving my point spectacularly.
That would be your point of view...

Now I ma off lunch and back to actually working in the real world. but I will be watching.....

Old 08-17-2023, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
CVT get a poor reputation because of the lack of servicing not so much the design. After we tested several and even deliberately blew up one on a transmission DYN and tor it down the failed p[art was the pump and it failed because of all the high millage fluid that apparently had never been changed? I would always recommend the purchasing of any used vehicle no matter what he miles are to do complete fluid changes on all component that use a liquid fluid.
BTW the old jokes about rental vehicles that are abused that MYTH has long gone a couple decades ago. the number of people that rent do not abuse the cars like in the 70"s 80"s and 90"s and even then, it was still rare. The number sold and damages reported because of a rental are so low I doubt there is any supportive evidence pointing to any informed source stating not to invest a rental. At least form the top 3 rental agencies in the USA. Which I should mention better look who sold the most used vehicle in the last 1-4 years. That in itself and the lack of MAZDA members claiming that their used Mazda that was a preowned rental has had more issues than any other used vehicle?
I might also point out that many auto dealers will buy preowned vehicles at an auction. They are not required to submit who the previous owners are. So, you would be really surprised how many that buy used vehicle may have been from a rental agency at one time?
I used to buy vehicles (Brashers auto auction) for the used car department at a Cadilac, Oldsmobile GMC, Nissan and Mazda dealership group one time. I still have my CA dealers selling ID long expired.
Well - one reason we have forums is opinions - theres a ongoing market of " rent a cars " which are often sold by the rental agency itself at specific depreciation times to reduce operating and service costs thus keeping newer cars in the fleet
The equasion for the larger companies is often something like 1.5 years or 18k some go 2 yrs 25k still leaving some bumper to bumper coverage and- still having optimal drivetrain warranty left / that said - again ...my opinion is avoid them ...advice i would give friends or family. To many reasons
to list. but one is ..people renting cars may not intentionally do harm ..but can and do , the more people that rent..the higher the proabability is....Ive seen rentals coming out of hotels with valets ...ice
cold start ..pedal to the floor- and renters often lay into the pedal with zero warm up ...another is transmission misuse - Im just not willing to take the gamble that 100s of people driving a vehicle all loved it and read the owners manual - Ive also rented and seen oil change lights -
service lights -which the agency has flexability on , and thats on the agency - so everyones threshold for things like these is different - many people see another 40k and 2 yrs or so
on the warranty - and thats good enough for them - me ...yeah ...no thanks :-)-

Last edited by retread888; 08-17-2023 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-17-2023, 12:24 PM

Well - one reason we have forums is opinions - theres a ongoing market of " rent a cars " which are often sold by the rental agency itself - still having optimal warranty and miles left / that said - again ...my opinion is avoid them ...advice i would give friends or family. To many reasons to list. but one is ..people renting cars may not intentionally do harm ..but do...seen rentals coming out of hotels with valets ...ice cold start ..pedal to the floor ....yeah ill pass . The other is transmission misuse - Im just not willing to take the gamble that 100s of people driving a vehicle all loved it and read the owners manual - Ive also rented and seen oil change lights which the agency has flexibility on - so ...yeah ...no thanks :-)
Oh I see so you like to follow the crowd beliefs instead of real word information. I understand most people are like that and feel more comfortable when other support their beliefs systems! But can you imagine if you took your vehicle into a service shop and the Auto technician or mechanic had that same kind of belief system?
So how many have you purchased yourself? You should at least have 2 examples for even an opinion to be validated.
As for you example maybe watch your neighbors in the morning more carefully how they drive and treat their vehicles. Go look in a few and see how well they are kept up. Or talk to a few service shops and ask them. I don't help anyone anymore before i have gloves on. nothing to do with COVID been doing it for decades. I just got tired of my fingers sticking to their steering wheels.

I do understand however that you personally don't like rentals to consider buying and as such you would not recommend to purchase one.

Members on most forum tend to be a little different than the rest of the vehicle owner population WE ALL take better care of our vehicles.

Last edited by Callisto; 08-17-2023 at 12:27 PM.
Old 08-17-2023, 12:44 PM

Well - one reason we have forums is opinions - theres a ongoing market of " rent a cars " which are often sold by the rental agency itself at specific depreciation times to maximize overhead and keep newer cars in the fleet
The equasion is - still having optimal warranty and miles left / that said - again ...my opinion is avoid them ...advice i would give friends or family. To many reasons to list. but one is ..people renting cars may not intentionally do harm ..but do...seen rentals coming out of hotels with valets ...ice cold start ..pedal to the floor ....yeah ill pass . The other is transmission misuse - Im just not willing to take the gamble that 100s of people driving a vehicle all loved it and read the owners manual - Ive also rented and seen oil change lights which the agency has flexability on , and thats on the agency - so everyones threshold for things like these is different - many people see another 40k and 2 yrs or so on the drivetrain warranty - and thats good enough for them - me ...yeah ...no thanks :-)-
Another perspective:
One thing I will note is "rental cars" is a misnomer.
They are fleet cars which are used in nearly every business including rental car agencies.
These cars on average are better maintained than any "privately owned" vehicle.
Mainly for insurance and resale value reasons they are generally kept in top running condition and serviced regularly.
I've purchased multiple used fleet vehicles, of different makes, for the past 30 years and never had an issue with any that wasn't attributable to anything other than typical wear and the typical mileage.
They most always have far fewer miles, are in much better physical condition and have ALL their maintenance records.
That said when you buy used you never know what you are getting (even with a full mechanical inspection) or what will happen.
Even a brand-new vehicle is not immune, but you have a warranty.
Someone is always going to get "the bad one"...we just hope it's never us.
But I suspect no matter how diligent we are we've all been burned at one time or another

Old 08-17-2023, 12:47 PM
Default off topic ...yikes

I havent seen much hostility in here - so I hope it stays that way -and we dont lose sight of the fact that were here to help others and each other - -So think about this.
We are posting information thru a machine and getting information back thru a "machine"- so if ones emotional state is severly compromised by things you see or do with the machine - possibly take a walk or hang out with friends or family face to face - Try not to let the machine suck your spirit ,ruin
your mind or your day and consider maybe you are spending to much time online .?

Happy motoring !

Old 08-17-2023, 12:56 PM

[QUOTE=Lobstah;218777]Another perspective:
One thing I will note is "rental cars" is a misnomer.
They are fleet cars which are used in nearly every business including rental car agencies.
These cars on average are better maintained than any "privately owned" vehicle.
Mainly for insurance and resale value reasons they are generally kept in top running condition and serviced regularly.
I've purchased multiple used fleet vehicles, of different makes, for the past 30 years and never had an issue with any that wasn't attributable to anything other than typical wear and the typical mileage.
They most always have far fewer miles, are in much better physical condition and have ALL their maintenance records.
That said when you buy used you never know what you are getting (even with a full mechanical inspection) or what will happen.
Even a brand-new vehicle is not immune, but you have a warranty.
Someone is always going to get "the bad one"...we just hope it's never us.
But I suspect no matter how diligent we are we've all been burned at one time or another [

Last edited by retread888; 08-17-2023 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-17-2023, 01:15 PM

Many of these vehicles get serviced 1x maybe 2 - then sold - oil changes - service on the front end of a cars life is minimal - even 10k b4 the first oil change -, What I care about is obviously different than what you do ...so yes - we could debate this indefinitly ...but the reason I share this is to help the " op " is it - with thier question ...I dont need to be right . The more good info they get ...the better for everyone ! cheers
Thats badly incorrect. But you can use and should have used the word opinion again for your response information? lol
Budget, Avis Interprise to name a few common ones especially Enterprise keep accurate records of servicing. And many have account like Firestone that there is not day in my area of Northern or southern Ca ,Texas and Florida ( am connected to for various business owned or co-owned) go by that they don't have a rental in for some service. Enterprise also shows their vehicle maintenance history when you buy from them which is often more complete then buyer a used vehcle from a dealership.
You information is in the stone ages and I don't think it was accurate back then either? We did not have forum that average people could post the most riduculus information in the guise of it being accurate at best.

Quick Reply: Our daughter is getting a CX-5. Sources for extended warranty? And needed?