Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Our daughter is getting a CX-5. Sources for extended warranty? And needed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2023, 08:43 PM
Default Our daughter is getting a CX-5. Sources for extended warranty? And needed?

Our daughter & son-in-law are getting a CX-5 after her 2015 Nissan Rogue Select is needing a fair amount of work. And they are going to have a child in a month so they want a newer / more reliable car.

My wife has a 2020 Subaru Outback and we got the Subaru prepaid maintenance package and extended warranty - gold 8 years / 120K miles with $0 deducible from a dealer in another state at a big savings from the list price.

a) Anyone recommend / not recommend the extended warranty? There seems to be sooo much electronics / features in cars these days. I drive a 2013 Honda Civic and can deal with fixing simple things or would drive around with a window with a faulty motor, etc. to save money. They wouldn't do that (and I wouldn't want them doing that). Having an extended warranty, there's less / no concern about the price of repairs? So they'll be sure to get things fixed.?

b) are there dealers that sell Mazda extended warranties over the web? Is there a previous thread about them? I looked but didn't find anything.

Thanks!

Old 04-25-2023, 10:17 PM

Some have stated that most all after market warranties aren't worth the paper they are written on.
A Mazda certified/authorized/backed/ extended warrantee is your best bet.

My 2¢

Old 04-25-2023, 10:57 PM

FWIW, we bought the Mazda extended warranty directly offered by the Mazda dealer back in 2018. It is good for 6 years and will expire in 2024. Cost was about $1,200 so a bit high but we got the GT with all the bells and whistles so we were concerned that the 3-year bumper-to-bumper warranty was not enough.

Old 04-26-2023, 12:57 AM

For the Mazda CX-5 , only get a new car(2023 and up) with Mazda extended warranty. If getting an older cx-5, get a CPO with Mazda extended CPO warranty. You need to be careful because some dealers will sell used Mazdas without the CPO extended warranty.
the warranty is a good thing based on past engine problems(cracked cylinder head, HLA's, etc.) in some of the older model years(2018 to 2021, possibly 2022).
The vehicle is a solid car, best in safety(very important if have children), great handling and fast acceleration(for a small SUV), sleek design, great interior, with AWD and moderate off-road capable. I would purchase another cx-5 , however, imo, I would not buy another one without the extended warranty. Luckily my engine repairs were under warranty.

Last edited by kilroy22; 04-26-2023 at 01:00 AM.
Old 04-26-2023, 07:07 AM

Agreed with all the electronics now it's difficult for DIYer do much of it themselves without buying specialized equipment.
But it is also a costly gamble, as "good" extended warranties are very expensive.
I had extended warranties for years on vehicles and only once used one for my sons Buick, bad transmission, when he was in college.
The warranty cost me more than the transmission replacement.
I have not purchased extended warranty since then, but my 2020 CX-5 3-year full warranty expires this year.
The costs I've been quoted so far from the top warranty businesses and Mazda's own, hasn't made me feel warm and fuzzy about getting one yet.
The fact that I've virtually never had any major failure on any new or late model vehicle I've ever purchased makes me hesitant to spend thousands per year.
I'll probably install full home generator instead insuring the engine will undoubtedly fall out of my CX-5 the following day

Old 04-26-2023, 08:00 AM

If you want the warranty, getting a certified pre-owned (CPO) would be your best bet as it extends on the factory warranties from the first in service date. You also won't be paying for a new car and losing a ton of value when you drive off the lot. Otherwise, I don't see the point in getting an extended warranty. I've had 2 vehicles that were higher mileage with no warranty and I put a lot of miles with no issues. Only when I had my Subaru did I have the head gaskets start to go out under the factory warranty, and that saved me like $4k.

Old 04-26-2023, 01:28 PM
Default something to consider

Used vehicles are always a crapshoot ,and you may want a Mazda certified warrantee to be on the safe side. If it is a new CX5, no worries the standard new car warrantee is all you need . FYI , the extended warrantees are sold in the F&I office and are the single most profitable thing a dealer sells . With the high quality and reliability of the CX5 and following the proper maintenance schedule ,you more than likely not need an extended warrantee. If you are buying a new CX5 and don't abuse it and have it properly serviced, you are good to go . Save your money .

Last edited by THE CHIEF; 04-26-2023 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-15-2023, 02:07 PM
Default 2022 still has cracked cylinder head issue

I just wanted to mention that the 2022 year model CX-5 still has the cracked cylinder head problem. As I mentioned in a different thread, I just got my cylinder head replaced under warranty. It's a CX-5 2.5 S Preferred with a skyactiv engine; it's not the turbo. It only has 13,000 miles on it. This has been an ongoing problem with Mazdas, and has not been fixed yet, even though the service bulletin doesn't mention 2022 models. I think it's still a small minority of their cars sold, but it is a large enough problem that they have stocked ready-to-replace cylinder heads so it can be done quickly (they only had my car for two or three days). I have no way of knowing if the replacement cylinder head is also defective; time will tell.

Old 08-15-2023, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by DianeJinOK
I just wanted to mention that the 2022 year model CX-5 .
This thread topic is a member that is asking about EXTENDED WARRANTIES. not possible issues that may or may not happen and have not been confirmed as a Mazda production problem as of this date and moment in time!

Ok so you realize that when you go from forum to forum and post this basically same information on multiple threads many members on forum will count this as multiple heads problems and not just your single concern relating to the hhead and MAZDA? You already posted this in another thread and there are not only members currently looking at that thread but also guests that are not members but have a concern or curiosity about the TSB and the oil leaking questions.
I cant tell you don't to post in multiple thread but please use a little common sense and know that ONE time will get read by hundreds of people on a single thread you respond and write something about your Mazda experience on.

To refresh what the OP in this thread is asking.
Originally Posted by Feetsdr
Our daughter & son-in-law are getting a CX-5 after her 2015 Nissan Rogue Select is needing a fair amount of work. And they are going to have a child in a month so they want a newer / more reliable car.

My wife has a 2020 Subaru Outback and we got the Subaru prepaid maintenance package and extended warranty - gold 8 years / 120K miles with $0 deducible from a dealer in another state at a big savings from the list price.

a) Anyone recommend / not recommend the extended warranty? There seems to be sooo much electronics / features in cars these days. I drive a 2013 Honda Civic and can deal with fixing simple things or would drive around with a window with a faulty motor, etc. to save money. They wouldn't do that (and I wouldn't want them doing that). Having an extended warranty, there's less / no concern about the price of repairs? So they'll be sure to get things fixed.?

b) are there dealers that sell Mazda extended warranties over the web? Is there a previous thread about them? I looked but didn't find anything.

Thanks!

Old 08-15-2023, 03:31 PM

Sorry, I didn't mean to break any rules. My intention was to respond to the part where they said they wanted a newer and more reliable car, and when deciding whether to get an extended warranty, that the cylinder head issue hasn't been fixed (even though a lot of people think it has been since the service bulletin only goes up to 2020 or 2021), so if they want a Mazda they might want to consider getting the extended warranty, or at least do some digging to see how prevalent the cracked cylinder head issue is.

Quick Reply: Our daughter is getting a CX-5. Sources for extended warranty? And needed?