Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navigation on 2020 Grand Touring Reserve?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Litehiker
BTW, what's all this about BUYING a nav SD card? My 2019 CX 5 GT Reserve came with one installed. I'd never take delivery if the nav was not operating.
Originally Posted by Mainiak
I am very sure you paid for it, somehow. LOL! Dealers do deal, often using sleight of hand.
If I'm not mistaken, the 2019 GTR came standard with Nav, but the 2020 GTR's don't. I think the reasoning was that it wasn't necessary with Apple CarPlay / Android Auto that enables drivers to use with any number of navigation apps. Regardless, and as previously discussed, there are additional HUD features that make the Mazda Nav desirable even if you choose to use an app for actual navigation.

As for not accepting delivery without it, I'm afraid that's just the way it is on the 2020's and exactly why this thread was so helpful for finding the SD card at a reasonable price. If what I was told is to be believed - that dealerships are billed out at $360 for it by Mazda - I think it's unlikely that they're going to throw it in as a freebie without making it up somewhere else (like holding back discounts or incentives they might otherwise offer).

On the upside, the 2020 GTR's have a few worthwhile enhancements over the 2019's... 8" Infotainment screen (up from 7") & paddle shifters come to mind. So, thanks to the good advice in this thread, adding Nav for <$50 isn't such a big sacrifice.

Old 07-02-2020, 12:23 PM

Yeah, I do wish I had that extra 10 ft. lb. of torque that the 2020 CX 5 turbos have. More torque is better than more HP, I wonder if it is a re-mapping of the ECU? An improved turbo?

As for paddle shifters? Well that would be nice and the 1st thing I'd do is look on Ali Express for some nice metal paddle covers to give them more upscale look - even if they are not used much.
Ali Express has more and much higher quality parts for the CX 5 than Amazon and CarId. I ordered gas, brake and

Sure a bigger infotainment screen would be nice but I'm OK with mine.

Still, I have to say that using say 1/3 tank of 100 octane with 2/3 tank 91 octane does give me more power REGARDLESS of what "internet mechanics" say. It tells me MAZDA has programmed the ECU to take advantage of higher octane gas It is a fact that 87 octane gives the XC 5 2.5 L. turbo 224 HP and 93 octane gas gives it 250 HP snowy would not say 97 octane give it evermore HP. In my experience this extra power starts lower in the RPM range B/C my accelerator is definitely more sensitive with1/3 to 1/2 tank of 100 octane gas.

Just wish 100 octane gas was more available in other states like it is in Nevada (at a princely $8.00 per gallon, natch). Then others with a 2.5 L. turbo Mazda could see what I'm talking about.

Eric B.

Old 07-02-2020, 01:12 PM

I'm not sure what AliExpress, cosmetic treatments for paddle shifters, or octane ratings have to do with this thread. But, AliExpress is just a platform like eBay, mostly inhabited by Chinese trading companies, not a vendor itself. The quality of parts found there depends on the supplier, just like it does on Amazon, CarID, or eBay.

I'm a product designer and importer, and I've dealt with factories all over the world. The fact is, some Chinese factories are capable of producing world-class quality, but most don't. Even those that can don't always; depends on the price you're willing to pay. They are subject to the same cost vs quality constraints as anyone. Perhaps worse yet, consistency is a real problem there. Quality can vary greatly from one production run to the next. It seems factory managers are constantly trying to shave cost rather than sticking to established specs.

Old 07-02-2020, 01:31 PM

I totally agree Bird Dog, I have a friend/relative who sources high end costume jewelry from China and he has to sit on them to keep them from cheating him on quality.
The Japanese have a VERY high level of honor and take great pride in the high quality of their products. The Chinese, for the most part, could care less about honor and quality. It's all about how much they can get away with for their profit.

Ali Baba/Ali Express is just like Amazon, after which it is modeled - does not make one d@mn item, is just a re-seller.
I looked at a Youtube video at the installed Ali Express products on a privately owned CX 5 and felt the dress-up products were pretty good quality, as did the guy who owned the CX 5 so I ordered some of them. We'll see...

Eric B.