Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Mor upgrades for my 2019 gt reserve

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2020, 07:18 PM
Default upgrades for my 2019 gt reserve

I've added the following to my 2019 GT Reserve:
1. K&N drop in air filter
2. hood gas struts (& removed the prop rod)
3. Cork Sport oil catch can for PCV system
4. MAZDA roof cross bars
5. MAZDA rear bumper cover stainless top protector
6. MAZDA trunk floor carpet

Future U[grades:
1. 245/50/19 tires to replace the 225/55/19 OEM tires when they wear out
2. paint brake calipers gold with red MAZDA labels on them
3. lighted MAZDA door sill plates
4. LED lighted footwells
5. interior brushed metal dress-up parts for door handle surrounds
6. brushed metal strips on top edge of exterior door bottom black mouldings

That's about all the bling I want. ;o)
Eric B.

Last edited by Litehiker; 06-16-2020 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-17-2020, 10:47 PM

Acording to "Cork Sport' the install on the catch can could be major work.
How was it? Pictures?

Hop to add a catch can in the future.

My 2¢

Old 06-17-2020, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Dennis Wendt
Acording to "Cork Sport' the install on the catch can could be major work.
How was it? Pictures?

Hop to add a catch can in the future.

My 2¢
Their installation shows it to be a level 2 requiring about 2-21/2 hours for installation time and simple DIY tools.
TOOLS: ¼" Ratchet (1) 8mm Socket - Deep (1) 10mm Socket-Deep (1) 13mm Socket - Deep (1) 5/32" Allen Wrench (1) Flathead Screwdriver (1) Small Needle Nose Pliers (1) Wire Cutters (1) Silicone Lubricant Spray (1) Razor Blade (1) Hydraulic Jack (1) Jack Stand (2)

This is not in anyway a difficult part to install!
https://corksport.com/support/instru...-6-889-WEB.pdf

Couple or so months past I installed one on my friends Mazda and we changed the hose fitting with AN and substituted the hose that came with the kit with Braided stainless steel hose. And the install still only took me about 2 hours! And I had to size and fit the hose with the AN fittings.

I would say go for it...I think you will have no problems with the install!!

Last edited by Callisto; 06-18-2020 at 12:05 AM.
Old 06-18-2020, 02:51 PM

Dennis, I studied the entire Cork Sport oil catch can installation manual and decided to have a professional installation. At US $120./hour it was a 2 hour job which was done perfectly.

Now I'm looking for an in-line filter for the line into the intake manifold. This is a BIG omission on Cork Sport's part and I have informed them of this and am awaiting a response from engineering (i.e. Cork Sport's owner). All good oil catch cans, like Mishimoto, have a filter BUILT IN to the body of the can to catch any outgoing vapors.

There is really only one good location for an in-line filter "fix" and that is just before the vacuum line en terms the intake manifold attachment point. It is near the top of the firewall and easily visible for inspection for cleaning/replacement.

BTW, I have drilled a 1/2" hole in the plastic body under-body cladding exactly below the OCC drain barb. so I can insert a drain hose and push it on the drain barb. Then I reach waaay down from the top of the engine compartment on the left side of the air filter box and can turn the drain valve handle on and off. The drain hose is about ten inches long and I always keep it in the car.
I will drain the OCC myself rather than have it done by mechanics at oil change time because then I know it is done.

Eric B.

Last edited by Litehiker; 06-18-2020 at 03:01 PM.
Old 06-19-2020, 04:40 PM

I added the weathertech window visors.
I have a history with this brand and really like them.
The auto-down for front windows is annoying but that will clear with use.
So far, no wind noise.

My 2¢

Old 06-19-2020, 06:51 PM

Dennis, I've been able to control how far down my front windows go by using quick presses on the window control button.

Eric B.

Old 07-01-2020, 04:51 PM

OK, I've logged about 900 miles with the Cork Sport oil catch can (OCC) and STILL no real residue in the can, either on the screw-in dipstick or the bottom bleed valve. Reports say I should have at least 1/4 cup of brownish liquid in the OCC. I have only 7,000+ miles on my CX 5 GT Reserve. Maybe that's why, not much crap in the PCV line at that mileage.

Q. Does the OEM "air/oil separator" take out PCV residue near the intake manifold? If so thenI don't need to add a filter (I would think).

Eric B.

Old 07-01-2020, 05:16 PM

OCC vary with *how well they work from engine to engine. There are a numerous reasons why you have not yet seen anything in your CAN.

Keep in mind, none these OCCs really work very well, some none at all and grouping all of them together none exactly really do a very good job or as *claimed. NONE! I like them more for the "RACE" (ricer rig) look instead of relying on them working.

Old 07-02-2020, 11:53 AM

Hmmm... maybe if OCC's work even a little it's still better than getting that PCV crap burned onto the back of my intake valves and turbo impeller.
Naturally the ads and Youtube video all show the OCCs working well and getting copious amounts of condensed vapor out of the PCV system. And likely some vehicles DO have a lot of blow-by and possibly vaporized petroleum based oil vapor. I would bet full synthetic oils do not vaporize nearly as much as petroleum based oils, event wax based "Pennsylvania" grade oils.

My Cork Sports OCC does not have a built-in filter on the "out line" (a fault IMHO) but the CX 5 has its own air/oil separator near the intake manifold that likely acts as a filter. Plus there is an OEM surge valve in the line which may be collecting some of the PCV vapor.

Eric B.

Last edited by Litehiker; 07-02-2020 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-03-2020, 04:42 AM
Super Moderator

Can we agree that a oil catch can is beneficial?
We don't need to dissect its internals or how good it is or isn't..