Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mazda CX-5 TSB Turbo Engines - Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2022, 04:58 PM

I take credit for starting the 'Panic of 1929 -Black Tuesday'. As for my '21' CX-5 Touring (NA), I have added a fresh quart bringing it up to max on stick ( maybe a touch above) at 3.5K. I will watch it now and see what transpires.

I may still change in full at 5K and start process over. You might ask why I didn't just do a full change at 3.5K (oil and filter) and start from there. That is a good question. Let me think of an answer.

Best, Reuben

Old 01-15-2022, 05:02 PM

Just an observation. If you have in a full 4.5 quarts, start engine, bring up to op temp, turn off and let settle for five minutes, I find you do not get a nice clean mark at the full dot on stick. For whatever reason, there is too much 'cling' to the oil, whatever, it doesn't settle down to a precise mark with a five minute settle-down period. If I am wrong, pls let me know. Thank you.

Old 01-17-2022, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by schmieg
To be fair to him, I am 75 and I've only had one that had head gasket problems, but I've only owned 25 cars in my time. That one was a 1981 VW Rabbit Diesel. It seemed to blow head gaskets every 7 or 8 thousand miles. I remember the Vega as I knew people that had them and they were junk. I've had bummer cars in my time (the Ford Taurus MT5 with the 4 banger comes to mind immediately), but only the VW had head problems and I even had a 1965 Corvair Corsa Spyder convertible which I loved.

So did I, bought it new. Kept that thing for only 14 months; had nothing but problems with it, but it sure was fun to drive!! Now enjoying my CX5 GTR and a new Corvette C8 convertible.

Old 01-17-2022, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Zingowner

So did I, bought it new. Kept that thing for only 14 months; had nothing but problems with it, but it sure was fun to drive!! Now enjoying my CX5 GTR and a new Corvette C8 convertible.
Mine didn't give me any major problems, but I replaced it after about 18 months when a truck stopped in the middle of the road, went into reverse and backed over the hood of my trunk. I replaced it with a 1961 Kharman Ghia which was almost as bad of a car as the 1981 Rabbit diesel. That only lasted nine months and I got a 1966 Mustang convertible with the 289 and 4 speed.

Old 01-26-2022, 08:44 AM
Unhappy Another Mazda that eats oil...

Originally Posted by reubenvabner
????????? WTF????

Mazda Oil Consumption TSB Turbo Engines
Components: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING, TIRES, ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
NHTSA ID Number: 10202685
Manufacturer Communication Number: 01-012-21-3832

5 Affected Products
Vehicles
MAKE MODEL YEAR
MAZDA CX-30 2021
MAZDA CX-5 2021
MAZDA CX-9 2021
MAZDA MAZDA3 2021
MAZDA MAZDA6 2021

Summary
Some vehicles may have a LOW ENGINE OIL LEVEL warning message and a CHECK ENGINE light illuminated in the instrument cluster, along with DTC P250F:00 stored in memory. DTC P250F:00 - Engine oil level signal: engine oil level low. Upon inspecting the engine oil level, the level is found to be low and there doesn't appear to be any trace of oil leakage in the engine compartment. This concern usually occurs when the mileage reaches approximately 3,100 - 4,700 miles (5,000 - 7,500km) and may also occur again after replacing or topping off the engine oil. The root cause of this concern has not been identified yet, therefore a repair procedure will be announced at a later date. Since this issue has been reported after a valve stem seal modification, it is very likely that valve stem seal damage is causing oil to leak into the combustion chamber.
I've owned 7 Mazdas since the 80s and every single one consumed oil. My wife had a '16 CX-5 GT and it ate oil at about a quart per oil change. Now she drives a '19 CX-5 GTR (Turbo) and this one too eats oil at an even higher rate. My dealer tried to pass it off by suggesting I should get 3,500 mile oil changes vs the Mazda scheduled 5,000 miles. Not cool.

Just sold my '04 Mazda 6S Hatchback and told the kid who bought it to check the oil religiously. That V6 was hungry for both fuel and oil.

Old 01-26-2022, 08:46 AM
Unhappy Another Mazda that eats oil...

Originally Posted by reubenvabner
????????? WTF????

Mazda Oil Consumption TSB Turbo Engines
Components: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING, TIRES, ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
NHTSA ID Number: 10202685
Manufacturer Communication Number: 01-012-21-3832

5 Affected Products
Vehicles
MAKE MODEL YEAR
MAZDA CX-30 2021
MAZDA CX-5 2021
MAZDA CX-9 2021
MAZDA MAZDA3 2021
MAZDA MAZDA6 2021

Summary
Some vehicles may have a LOW ENGINE OIL LEVEL warning message and a CHECK ENGINE light illuminated in the instrument cluster, along with DTC P250F:00 stored in memory. DTC P250F:00 - Engine oil level signal: engine oil level low. Upon inspecting the engine oil level, the level is found to be low and there doesn't appear to be any trace of oil leakage in the engine compartment. This concern usually occurs when the mileage reaches approximately 3,100 - 4,700 miles (5,000 - 7,500km) and may also occur again after replacing or topping off the engine oil. The root cause of this concern has not been identified yet, therefore a repair procedure will be announced at a later date. Since this issue has been reported after a valve stem seal modification, it is very likely that valve stem seal damage is causing oil to leak into the combustion chamber.
I've owned 7 Mazdas since the 80s and every single one consumed oil. My wife had a '16 CX-5 GT and it ate oil at about a quart per oil change. Now she drives a '19 CX-5 GTR (Turbo) and this one too eats oil at an even higher rate. My dealer tried to pass it off by suggesting I should get 3,500-mile oil changes vs the Mazda scheduled 5,000 miles because "Turbo". Not cool.

Just sold my '04 Mazda 6S Hatchback and told the kid who bought it to check the oil religiously. That V6 was hungry for both fuel and oil.

Old 01-26-2022, 09:59 AM

It is interesting how variable this is. I had a '19 GT which never used a drop in 20k miles. So far my '21 GTR is also not burning any oil in the 5k it has traveled. We will see how it does over time. I had a 1988 323GT and 2000 Miata as well. Neither of them burned oil either.

Old 01-26-2022, 10:04 AM
Cool

Originally Posted by chickdr19
It is interesting how variable this is. I had a '19 GT which never used a drop in 20k miles. So far my '21 GTR is also not burning any oil in the 5k it has traveled. We will see how it does over time. I had a 1988 323GT and 2000 Miata as well. Neither of them burned oil either.
You're lucky? I'm curious - how aggressive a driver are you? I love my upper rev range - I like accelerating briskly and shifting at the red line. Not every time, I have my moments though. That kind of driving causes consumption, but the CX-5 Turbo shifts at about 4,800 rpms anyway, so it's not like anyone in my family is driving it like an Indy car.

Old 01-26-2022, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Inexplicable_Bill
I've owned 7 Mazdas since the 80s and every single one consumed oil. My wife had a '16 CX-5 GT and it ate oil at about a quart per oil change. Now she drives a '19 CX-5 GTR (Turbo) and this one too eats oil at an even higher rate. My dealer tried to pass it off by suggesting I should get 3,500 mile oil changes vs the Mazda scheduled 5,000 miles. Not cool.

You know when some of us that are in the business read posts like this and I am sure our first thought and ultimately first reaction is.....

Old 01-26-2022, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Inexplicable_Bill
You're lucky? I'm curious - how aggressive a driver are you? I love my upper rev range - I like accelerating briskly and shifting at the red line. Not every time, I have my moments though. **That kind of driving causes consumption, but the CX-5 Turbo shifts at about 4,800 rpms anyway, so it's not like anyone in my family is driving it like an Indy car.
Um you do realize that it is the oil scrapers NOT the compression rings that control oil. And actually, **running up the RPM prevent or at least support preventing cylinder glaze which could in effect cause oil to be passed and burned. So, your statement once again makes very little sense. that is for some of us that know better??

Quick Reply: Mazda CX-5 TSB Turbo Engines - Oil Consumption