Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mazda CX-5 TSB Turbo Engines - Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2022, 10:19 AM

Well, as a previous post pointed out, it is by no means the first car to use oil from Day One. There have been innumerable examples. Lucky that you have gone 70 Years without running into it. I am closely monitoring now, have not done first oil change yet. Will get a picture over the first 10K-20K of how significant the issue is. And see if Mazda does a recall to fix or not. As was said also, in this thread, plenty of manufacturers decide that a quart every 1k or 2k is normal. Per their dictate. See how it goes.

Mazda is in a roll. Selling CX-5s like hotcakes. I think they will do what they have to to protect their reputation. At least I THINK SO.

Look what Subaru owners put up with - rampant head gasket failures for years, CVTs with unknown lifetimes. And they still worship their cars.

Old 01-13-2022, 02:47 PM
Default My new cx5 turbo is on the list

Originally Posted by reubenvabner
Well, as a previous post pointed out, it is by no means the first car to use oil from Day One. There have been innumerable examples. Lucky that you have gone 70 Years without running into it. I am closely monitoring now, have not done first oil change yet. Will get a picture over the first 10K-20K of how significant the issue is. And see if Mazda does a recall to fix or not. As was said also, in this thread, plenty of manufacturers decide that a quart every 1k or 2k is normal. Per their dictate. See how it goes.

Mazda is in a roll. Selling CX-5s like hotcakes. I think they will do what they have to to protect their reputation. At least I THINK SO.

Look what Subaru owners put up with - rampant head gasket failures for years, CVTs with unknown lifetimes. And they still worship their cars.
Mine is burning oil at alarming rate. Almost ran completely out of oil twice. First dealership visit they made up a nice story about coming from manufacturing that way. Next visit I showed them the TSB. They fessed up and said I was absolutely correct and then tries to charge me for the full amount of oil change. I am 51 years old and this is the first new car and first Mazda ever owned. If they had integrity they would notify purchasers of these cars. Reading Texas Lemon laws so I will be ready.

Old 01-13-2022, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
That makes you what about 85-90 years old...
WT(Frick) really. So in the perfect world every vehicle ever manufactured never had production problems? Not one vehicle manufactures engine ever had head casting issue EVER in 70 years.
ROLMAO. What world do you live in cuzzz it ain't most of ours!

I can name one engine off the top of my "head" (get it head LOL ) .... Chrysler early head casting 2.4 around 1999 early 2002 oil control issues.
Also Chevy Vega but I don't remember the years.

I would normally welcome new members but NOT one that joins and started negative response on their # 1 post on this forum about the vehicles we own and love MAZDA!
To be fair to him, I am 75 and I've only had one that had head gasket problems, but I've only owned 25 cars in my time. That one was a 1981 VW Rabbit Diesel. It seemed to blow head gaskets every 7 or 8 thousand miles. I remember the Vega as I knew people that had them and they were junk. I've had bummer cars in my time (the Ford Taurus MT5 with the 4 banger comes to mind immediately), but only the VW had head problems and I even had a 1965 Corvair Corsa Spyder convertible which I loved.

Old 01-13-2022, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by schmieg
To be fair to him, I am 75 and I've only had one that had head gasket problems, but I've only owned 25 cars in my time. That one was a 1981 VW Rabbit Diesel. It seemed to blow head gaskets every 7 or 8 thousand miles. I remember the Vega as I knew people that had them, and they were junk. I've had bummer cars in my time (the Ford Taurus MT5 with the 4 banger comes to mind immediately), but only the VW had head problems and I even had a 1965 Corvair Corsa Spyder convertible which I loved.
Ya I was perhaps a bit defensive, but I think what got me is he joined a forum and ripped first response on MADZA.
No howdy Iam a new member or perhaps even joining in a little more positive thread first, nope just posted right off his feelings about MAZDA.
There are always a few that join vehicle forums and start right off with negative responses about the platform?
BTW NOT all Vegas were p.o.s.... let's not forget COSWORTH VEGA....and they kicked butt!

Old 01-13-2022, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Gastrell
Mine is burning oil at alarming rate. Almost ran completely out of oil twice. .
Let's try to keep it real.
Bit exaggerating there! You know what it takes to, and I quote " Almost ran completely out of oil"? You would be traveling down the road with bellows of black smoke out your tail pipes. And wherever you parked and started the engine you would be leaving oil that dripped from the tails pipes as well. You MPG would be so low you would have to plan your trips where there would be gas stations and carry an extra set of spark plugs because they would be constantly oil fouling and you would see one or more or all the P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303 and P0304 among a few other DTCs. LOL

Old 01-13-2022, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Ya I was perhaps a bit defensive, but I think what got me is he joined a forum and ripped first response on MADZA.
No howdy Iam a new member or perhaps even joining in a little more positive thread first, nope just posted right off his feelings about MAZDA.
There are always a few that join vehicle forums and start right off with negative responses about the platform?
BTW NOT all Vegas were p.o.s.... let's not forget COSWORTH VEGA....and they kicked butt!
No point in getting your blood pressure up over it.

I never got to drive a Cosworth, but I heard they were fun.

Old 01-14-2022, 09:30 AM

In response to Callisto post above.
I have owned mostly Toyotas and Fords and have lost little oil during oil changes.
And had a 2011 Mazda cx7 that was ok.
So hopefully this valve stem seal modification is just a one time problem.
It affects my 2021 cx5 non turbo touring model also.
It comes at a bad time when the Mazda name is rising and product getting a good reputation.
The CX5 appeared more sporty and fun to driver then RAV4 or Honda CVS.
The dealer was great and gave them 5 stars.
Mazda must handle this problem with class and fix it before it becomes a Suburu situation.

Last edited by LM123xyz; 01-14-2022 at 09:32 AM. Reason: correction
Old 01-14-2022, 12:19 PM

I've had two turbo Mazda's. A 2019 6 Signature which never burned a drop in 18k miles and our 2021 CX-5 Signature. We only have 3800 miles on it and have not observed any oil consumption. I had the oil changed on the 6 religiously every 5k miles. It was a lease so I stuck with the Mazda branded synthetic. We own our CX-5 and I am switching to Amsoil (same spec specified by Mazda) at the 5k oil and filter change. I will definitely keep an eye it having seen this post.

Old 01-14-2022, 01:03 PM

I just checked the oil on the CX-5. With almost 3900 miles on, the level is halfway between the marks on the dipstick with the engine cold. But the manual indicates the engine needs to be up to operating temp before checking... fingers crossed.

Old 01-14-2022, 02:33 PM

I may have jumped the gun but the oil level at 2966 miles was below the min.
But I did not check when it came from the factory.
It may have been between the markers.
Also, the TSB applies to 2.5T engines not 2.5S engines which I have.

So I will start monitoring the oil consumption taking date, milage, and oil level.
Humbly apologize to Callisto.

Quick Reply: Mazda CX-5 TSB Turbo Engines - Oil Consumption