Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just how thin is this paint?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 02:59 PM

Yeah I expected 14 chips after 1.5- 2 years. Not 4.5 months. But really the thought of trying to get help stresses me out. I sent an email to someone at my dealer via the website that I thought was the GM. Within 30 mins I had a call from the sales manager. But I was on my way to an appt and couldn't answer. I didn't have time to talk about it. I don't think the sales manager is who I need to talk to? I just feel like I got screwed with this car. They polished it after I bought it and I wonder if that is causing the issues now? This is really frustrating and I'm kind of sick about it in terms of my brand new car looking like this already. What will it look like in 2 years? And IL doesn't take care of their roads either! I don't know if any state does anymore.

Old 02-17-2018, 03:56 PM

I have my first parking lot ding, and purchased Mazda's touch up pen to try and repair. Two days now, paint heated with a light bulb and the paint will not set. Has anyone had the same experience. Thanks

Old 05-03-2019, 04:14 AM

I too have a Soul Red Crystal CX-5 and am experiencing the same problems as Jennifer. In the U.K. Mazda re-formulated this colour late 2018 stating that the new colour is 20% brighter than the old one. I have had approx 23 cars over the years and have never known paint so thin and delicate. I am a car fanatic and look after my vehicles very carefully and having paid £800 extra for this paint decided to invest in the special paintwork protection recommended by the dealer. I personally wash the vehicle using a "no-touch" system. The car stands on my drive away from passers-by and other vehicular traffic, shrubs, and trees and has only done 2,733 miles in 7 months. Despite my careful attention, it has several scratches which I cannot account for, even the inset areas behind the door handles are showing scratches from passengers fingernails. The paintwork on my previous car (Ford Mondeo Estate) showed less paintwork scratch damage after 11 years than my 7 month old Mazda.

To add salt to the wound, 2 weeks after purchasing the car a very small stone was flung up by an oncoming car and has chipped the very middle of the windscreen. This damage would not have been caused in my old car - I once followed a lorry (doing 60 mph) which threw out a half brick from between its rear wheels and hit my windscreen and merely bounced off leaving nothing more than the tiniest mark.

Old 05-03-2019, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Jon U.K.
I too have a Soul Red Crystal CX-5 and am experiencing the same problems as Jennifer. In the U.K. Mazda re-formulated this colour late 2018 stating that the new colour is 20% brighter than the old one. I have had approx 23 cars over the years and have never known paint so thin and delicate. I am a car fanatic and look after my vehicles very carefully and having paid £800 extra for this paint decided to invest in the special paintwork protection recommended by the dealer. I personally wash the vehicle using a "no-touch" system. The car stands on my drive away from passers-by and other vehicular traffic, shrubs, and trees and has only done 2,733 miles in 7 months. Despite my careful attention, it has several scratches which I cannot account for, even the inset areas behind the door handles are showing scratches from passengers fingernails. The paintwork on my previous car (Ford Mondeo Estate) showed less paintwork scratch damage after 11 years than my 7 month old Mazda.

To add salt to the wound, 2 weeks after purchasing the car a very small stone was flung up by an oncoming car and has chipped the very middle of the windscreen. This damage would not have been caused in my old car - I once followed a lorry (doing 60 mph) which threw out a half brick from between its rear wheels and hit my windscreen and merely bounced off leaving nothing more than the tiniest mark.
John

To update Mazda has spent quite a bit of money on my car. They sent a new unpainted hood to the dealer and the body shop replaced and painted it. They then corrected chips on all 4 doors and both quarter panels. I lost track of what they spent but it was 5-7K I believe (not counting the cost of the replacement hood).

Also - within my first 2 weeks of owning my car I had the EXACT same thing happen to my windshield. That little rock landed softer than any rock has ever landed on my window and chipped it. I immediately drove to a glass company and got it filled as it was splitting. And the cost of the replacement windshield and re-calibrating all the stuff behind the rear view mirror is too much $!

I contacted Mazda Corporate to get my repairs done. I'm hoping to trade this car in Sept 2020 when it's 3 years old and get rid of the stress cause the paint is awful. I have swirls all over as well. I will never buy another Mazda.

Old 05-09-2019, 04:29 AM

Jennifer,
I understand your frustration and If it was me I would be just as disgusted. It appears this is a well documented problem with your paint color that Mazda seems to have addressed in later years. I have deep crystal mica (love the color) and have had no paint problems and really enjoy my vehicle. If you step back for a second Mazda has really stepped up to the plate in customer service and has done quite a bit to make it right. Of course it will never be completely right and I dont blame you for wanting to get rid of the vehicle.Step back a little bit a realize Mazda made a ****ty paint and has done everything to correct it for you. I know it was after a lot of effort on your part and complaining but still they did step up. Not all manufacturers would have stepped up. In fact I would guess very few would have stepped up. Its a great vehicle and I think Mazda makes great vehicles.

Old 05-09-2019, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by jjhebigscreen
Jennifer,
I understand your frustration and If it was me I would be just as disgusted. It appears this is a well documented problem with your paint color that Mazda seems to have addressed in later years. I have deep crystal mica (love the color) and have had no paint problems and really enjoy my vehicle. If you step back for a second Mazda has really stepped up to the plate in customer service and has done quite a bit to make it right. Of course it will never be completely right and I dont blame you for wanting to get rid of the vehicle.Step back a little bit a realize Mazda made a ****ty paint and has done everything to correct it for you. I know it was after a lot of effort on your part and complaining but still they did step up. Not all manufacturers would have stepped up. In fact I would guess very few would have stepped up. Its a great vehicle and I think Mazda makes great vehicles.
I agree with all of the above. I realize that Mazda has stepped up to the plate. I also realize others may not. However, I don't feel the "fix" was correct and I worry quite a bit about continuous issues with this paint. I learned a lot about paint during this process because I worked with an awesome manager at a body shop. He spent a lot of time educating me. I am also observing the issue with the white paint on Toyota's and the struggle people are having getting that corrected. The difference there is it is taking 5+ years for the Toyota paint to reveal it's issues. (The paint peels off) So the cars are well out of warranty and Toyota is pushing back. Mine was well within warranty. So maybe that's a difference. In any case it's been a disappointing experience and rolling the dice again with another Mazda may not be a gamble I want to take. I'm really unsure. But I absolutely agree that Mazda has attempted to correct this. Though I will say I had a friend with the exact same issue (car purchased one month prior to mine) and she had to contact the BBB to get Mazda to help her. So I think I was "lucky" or the person that did my initial inspection at my dealership stepped up for me. Not all experiences have been equal with Mazda.