Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just how thin is this paint?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 04:53 PM
Thumbs down Just how thin is this paint?

I have a 2017 Soul Red Crystal and I'm appalled by the chips in my paint. And what can I do? There is no touch up paint yet!? If I even hear anything hit my car I'm sure to have a chip. And then the ones I don't hear. . . I don't think my RAV4 chipped like this. My car isn't even 5 months old I have. . . . I'm in denial and don't want to count. . . . but probably 10 chips. Is this what I have to deal with??? I know I could clear bra it. I have no experience with that and at this point how would they (me?) repair the chips with no touch up paint? This makes me sick to my stomach. I drive a lot of miles and I don't want to even drive my car. Not to mention the wimpy windshield. I've had one chip filled and I have one other superficial chip on the top layer. I didn't know Mazdas were so delicate. I really want just my RAV back. I'm so bummed with this whole experience.

Old 01-16-2018, 05:58 AM

Here's some free advice. Allow more space between you and the car in front of you.

Old 01-16-2018, 06:03 AM
Default A

Originally Posted by Conrad 16.5
Here's some free advice. Allow more space between you and the car in front of you.
Ummm... Yeah thanks.. Already do that. Not only do rocks bounce, but I've been hit from rocks from cars going the other direction. I do not get close to cars at all. Of course then people decide to immediately move over in front of you... Got hit that way too. This paint is horrible.

Old 01-20-2018, 10:37 AM

Jennifer,

My Mazda is Deep Crystal Blue and I have not noticed a higher number of chips in the 60,000 miles so far than other cars I have owned. I suspect the new color may not be as tough as other paints.

Complain to the dealership, complain to the district manager and complain to Mazda US headquarters. I would hope that they would want to hear from you. I would also hope that they would want to make it right.

If you are able to have them fix it for you, you should consider adding a protective coating over the front of the car to protect the paint.

Old 01-20-2018, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by mazdaCPA
Jennifer,

My Mazda is Deep Crystal Blue and I have not noticed a higher number of chips in the 60,000 miles so far than other cars I have owned. I suspect the new color may not be as tough as other paints.

Complain to the dealership, complain to the district manager and complain to Mazda US headquarters. I would hope that they would want to hear from you. I would also hope that they would want to make it right.

If you are able to have them fix it for you, you should consider adding a protective coating over the front of the car to protect the paint.
Do I contact service at the dealership? Or who exactly? I sent an email to Mazda asking when touch up paint would be available and telling them I appalled by their paint. Not sure that was the right path of contact? I just went to the website.I can't imagine they will do much for me.. They will say rocks happen I'm sure. What kind of protective coating will protect paint from chips?? Thanks!

Old 01-20-2018, 12:14 PM

I counted 14 rock chips on my hood. Could be a more given that was a quick scan and it's a bit dirty. I think that's excessive for a 4.5 month old car. Don't you? Am I over reacting?

Old 01-20-2018, 12:15 PM

I would talk to as many people as you can at the Dealership and up the chain. You may want to call the Dealership manager or owner next. Focus on the fact that the new Mazda paint color is not as robust as it should be. You want them to repaint the sections of the car that have been damaged and for protective vinyl to protect the fragile paint. You will not likely get everything you are asking for but see what you can get. Call another dealership and ask for the name and email address of the regional manager and any contacts they may have at Mazda that can help you.

The dealership sells clear protective vinyl to cover the front of the hood. They sell it for a few hundred dollars. You can also buy it directly from a distributor for a small fraction of that cost and put it on yourself. Google Clear Vehicle Wraps and you will likely find a supplier. Amazon also sells it for $10.00 to $40.00. Watch a youtube video and you will know everything you need to install it.

Old 01-20-2018, 12:18 PM

Jennifer,

I would talk to as many people as you can at the Dealership and up the chain. You may want to call the Dealership manager or owner next. Focus on the fact that the new Mazda paint color is not as robust as it should be. You want them to repaint the sections of the car that have been damaged and for protective vinyl to protect the fragile paint. You will not likely get everything you are asking for but see what you can get. Call another dealership and ask for the name and email address of the regional manager and any contacts they may have at Mazda that can help you.

The dealership sells clear protective vinyl to cover the front of the hood. They sell it for a few hundred dollars. You can also buy it directly from a distributor for a small fraction of that cost and put it on yourself. Google Clear Vehicle Wraps and you will likely find a supplier. Amazon also sells it for $10.00 to $40.00. Watch a youtube video and you will know everything you need to install it.
Like a clear bra? I don't want to attempt that myself! I got a quote for $1200 for the front of my car. Is it possible this color can be repainted and actually match?

Old 01-20-2018, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jennifer Lynn
I counted 14 rock chips on my hood. Could be a more given that was a quick scan and it's a bit dirty. I think that's excessive for a 4.5 month old car. Don't you? Am I over reacting?

Jennifer,

I just washed the two Mazdas to count the chips. I may have 14 chips the size of a piece of lint or larger after 2 1/2 years and 60,000 miles. I also have some smaller ones the size of a pin point. I had two that were large enough to use the touch-up paint. I drive to Baltimore City daily. Baltimore does not do a good job with road maintenance.

It can't hurt to try to get some help from Mazda.

I don't think I am the one to ask about over reacting. I just washed two cars in January to count paint chips (and to get off the road salt that was covering them top to bottom).

Old 01-20-2018, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jennifer Lynn
Like a clear bra? I don't want to attempt that myself! I got a quote for $1200 for the front of my car. Is it possible this color can be repainted and actually match?
$1,200 is crazy. Talk to other local car detail shops. You should not have to spend more than a few hundred. I have not had any luck with the touch-up paint. The problem for me has always been the depth of the chip. Whenever I have done any touch-up paint, it only looked slightly better than the chip itself. A car detail shop may have ideas for the chips as well.

Quick Reply: Just how thin is this paint?