Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with issue on CX5 I've just bought

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2022, 05:25 AM
Exclamation Help with issue on CX5 I've just bought

Hi folks,
Hope you are well and may be able to offer me some collective wisdom.

a day ago I paid £20k for 2018 Mazda CX5 2.2 Diesel with 20K miles on the clock, on the drive back from the dealer, the engine light came on and after borrowing an OBD unit ( I don't know much about cars) pulled an error code P24AE which relates I believe to a DPF issue. I have a warranty, but this does not cover any DPF stuff. At the moment, because I am within 14 days of purchase, I can return the car for a refund. I know from previous experience that once the DPF starts having issues this can continue, and having just shelled out a load of money, not sure I want to risk being stuck with a car that has DPF problems that could cost me a fortune, especially as the warranty won't cover this.

I am looking for any advice around whether you would be worried and just return it, in case things get worse as I have to pay for this for the next 4 years. Or this is something minor, that maybe I shouldn't worry about. I don't really trust the dealer who may fudge it off and clear the code only to have it start again after its too late to return the car and I have to pay.

Any advice and thoughts around this issue and the risks?

Cheers

Simon

Old 07-24-2022, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator

It appears to be related to a sensor, rather than the DPF itself.

Get them to fix it.

Old 07-29-2022, 01:37 AM

American Mazda tech here. I've had one issue with diesel with a customer concern of incorrect DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) warning lights. After extensive troubleshooting, we determined that the DEF monitor was incorrectly calibrated. Apparently it must be zero'ed out to make a proper calibration, never got smaller than a 15% difference from what was actually in the tank as to what the sensor would read. They read of the side of caution.

One on hand, the Cx5 diesels are super torque-y and a blast to drive. A full DEF tank lasts like 25k miles. If it's not leaking it, it's fine.

On the other hand, it's annoying to have that error message.

Take to to a dealer and have them reset the DEF monitor properly. It's a very complicated process.

EDIT: we do not have a lot of diesels in our market, and we even collaborated with Mazda Canada about it. There is also a recall pertaining to the wiring of the DEF system, so make sure that you or may not qualify for that.

Last edited by DisiFTW; 07-29-2022 at 01:42 AM.