Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Headlight Auto / off confusion

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2024, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Alexmed2002
Yah well there are reasons that being able to turn off your lights may be needed (i.e. vehicles being worked on, preserving headlight bulb life, etc).
Many campgrounds discourage driving around with headlights on at night and suggest the use of the parking lights.

Old 05-01-2024, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by schmieg
Many campgrounds discourage driving around with headlights on at night and suggest the use of the parking lights.
Yes, I've been to a few star parties where you have to do that as well. I can drive around with the sidelights on by setting it to sidelights only, but of course you will have your DRL on. The only reason that I can think why an off switch would be needed in addition to the auto setting, would be if the motor is running and you want NO lights showing would be if you were on a police stakeout!

Old 05-01-2024, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by orion
Yes, I've been to a few star parties where you have to do that as well. I can drive around with the sidelights on by setting it to sidelights only, but of course you will have your DRL on. The only reason that I can think why an off switch would be needed in addition to the auto setting, would be if the motor is running and you want NO lights showing would be if you were on a police stakeout!
I have LED DRL's installed on my MX5 (not the foglamp mod) and I have a kill switch for them as well. I did mod the MX5 fog lamps so that they will come on with either just the parking lights or the low beams, but not while the lights are off or the high beams are on. Just took a couple of extra relays and tapping into the high beam wire in the lower part of the underhood fuse box. My Grand Cherokee has a defeat option for the driving lights as part of the OEM setup. There is a defeat procedure you can go through for the DRL's on the CX5, though I have never used it. I always use the DRL's when I'm on the roads, but I will turn them off sometimes, especially if I am wildlife watching or in campgrounds. It's my car and I will set it up the way I want it, not the way some idiot bureaucrat thinks it should be.

Old 05-01-2024, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by schmieg
It's my car and I will set it up the way I want it, not the way some idiot bureaucrat thinks it should be.
Ditto.