Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Headlight Auto / off confusion

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2024, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by orion
Mine in Canada will stay where I put it in Auto, side lights, headlights. It will NOT stay in the OFF position, even though the lights go off and stay off. It will spring back to the auto position. I assume that yours can be turned to the OFF position and it stays there?
That's the way every one I've seen works. After the lights go off, does it return to auto mode the next time you use the car or does it stay in the off mode? If it stays in off mode, there is something wrong with your switch. If it returns to auto mode at the next start, then it might be a feature, but, if so, you must have the test vehicle from what I've seen.

Old 04-30-2024, 05:01 PM

It is always a good idea to read your owners manual in its entirety.
There is no such thing as "spring back" switch.
If yours is doing this, though I have no idea how it could, it is defective.
In "AUTO" mode a sensor controls what lights are on and that is determined by the amount of light the sensor "sees".
A Mazda dealer can adjust the sensitivity of the sensor if you so require.
Owner's Manual: With auto-light control

Name:  index.95.gif
Views: 49
Size:  4.5 KB
Headlight Auto / off confusion-index.96.jpg
Auto-light control
When the headlight switch is in the Name:  index.97.gif
Views: 49
Size:  370 Bytes position and the ignition is switched
ON, the light sensor senses the surrounding lightness or darkness and automatically turns the headlights, other exterior lights and dashboard illumination on or off (see chart above).

CAUTION
● Do not shade the light sensor by adhering a sticker or a label on the windshield.

Otherwise the light sensor will not operate correctly.

Name:  index.98.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  8.7 KB
● The light sensor also works as a rain sensor for the auto-wiper control. Keep hands and scrapers clear of the windshield when the wiper lever is in the position and the ignition is switched ON as fingers could be pinched or the wipers and wiper blades damaged when the wipers activate automatically. If you are going to clean the windshield, be sure the wipers are turned off completely ― this is particularly important when clearing ice and snow ― when it is particularly tempting to leave the engine running.

NOTE
• The headlights, other exterior lights and dashboard illumination may not turn off immediately even if the surrounding area becomes well-lit because the light sensor determines that it is nighttime if the surrounding area is continuously dark for several minutes such as inside long tunnels, traffic jams inside tunnels, or in indoor parking lots.

In this case, the light turns off if the light switch is turned to the Name:  index.99.gif
Views: 46
Size:  244 Bytes position.

• Without auto headlight off function)<> When the headlight switch is in the Name:  index.1.gif
Views: 48
Size:  367 Bytes position
and the ignition is switched to ACC or the ignition is switched off, the headlights, other exterior lights and dashboard illumination will turn off.

• The dashboard illumination can be adjusted by rotating the **** in the instrument cluster. Also, the day/night mode can be changed by rotating the **** until a beep sound is heard. To adjust the brightness of the dashboard illumination: Refer to Dashboard Illumination 1.

• The sensitivity of the AUTO lights may be changed by an Authorized Mazda Dealer.

Old 04-30-2024, 05:41 PM

You are in the USA, we are in Canada, there are different specs . This is from my manual, OFF*1

AUTO
Name:  lamptns01.png
Views: 43
Size:  314 Bytes Name:  lamphigh02.png
Views: 42
Size:  213 BytesOFF*1

AUTO
Name:  lamptns01.png
Views: 43
Size:  314 Bytes Name:  lamphigh02.png
Size:  213 Bytes

Headlights

Off

Off

Off

Off

Auto*2*4

Auto*3*4

On

Daytime running lights

Off

Off

Off

Off

Off

Taillights

Parking lights

License plate lights

Side-marker lights

Off

On*5

On

On*5

On

Then it shows this, Auto-light control (Some Models)

(Except Canada)

When the headlight switch is in the AUTO position and the ignition is switched ON, the light sensor senses the surrounding lightness or darkness and automatically turns the headlights and other exterior lights on or off.

(Canada)

When the headlight switch is in a position other than Name:  lamphigh02.png
Size:  213 Bytes and the ignition is switched ON, the light sensor senses the surrounding lightness or darkness and automatically turns the headlights and other exterior lights on or off.

1. The light switch returns to the AUTO position automatically.

Old 04-30-2024, 07:19 PM

Apparently, I'm missing something.
I cannot find that the switch itself automatically turns to the auto position.
The light sensor yes but not the switch, which are two sperate things.
The part number for the switch BALL66122 is the same for US and Canada.
Auto-light control (Some Models)
(CANADA)
When the headlight switch is in a position other than Name:  lamphigh02.png
Views: 40
Size:  213 Bytes and the ignition is switched ON, the light sensor senses the surrounding lightness or darkness and automatically turns the headlights and other exterior lights on or off.

Old 04-30-2024, 07:41 PM

Well I just don't know what else I can do. I've explained twice now what the switch does. I've C&P a section of the manual I have, including the line that says the 'light switch returns the AUTO position automatically' Here is the link to the online manual for Canada, 2024 Mazda CX-5 Owner's Manual | Mazda Canada You can wade through it if you want . Remember , this wasn't my original question, I was just responding to the original question. I'm thinking now that with the switch we have, we would not be able to do what the OP did, drive at night with the headlights off? We would have to continually hold the switch switch in the OFF position against the spring?

Old 04-30-2024, 09:51 PM

I'm at a loss...

Old 04-30-2024, 10:19 PM

Well I just don't know what else I can do. I've explained twice now what the switch does. I've C&P a section of the manual I have, including the line that says the 'light switch returns the AUTO position automatically' Here is the link to the online manual for Canada, 2024 Mazda CX-5 Owner's Manual | Mazda Canada You can wade through it if you want . Remember , this wasn't my original question, I was just responding to the original question. I'm thinking now that with the switch we have, we would not be able to do what the OP did, drive at night with the headlights off? We would have to continually hold the switch switch in the OFF position against the spring?
The granny state strikes again. Wonder what would happen if you ordered a US switch and put it in. It might not work depending on the programming, but, if it's a mechanical thing in the switch, it probably would.

Old 04-30-2024, 11:50 PM

i don't think that Canada is any more of a 'Granny State' than any other civilised country! If this feature stops people from driving around with no lights on, other than your DRLs it's a good thing!

Old 04-30-2024, 11:59 PM

i don't think that Canada is any more of a 'Granny State' than any other civilised country! If this feature stops people from driving around with no lights on, other than your DRLs it's a good thing!
Yah well there are reasons that being able to turn off your lights may be needed (i.e. vehicles being worked on, preserving headlight bulb life, etc).

Old 05-01-2024, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Alexmed2002
Yah well there are reasons that being able to turn off your lights may be needed (i.e. vehicles being worked on, preserving headlight bulb life, etc).
Yes you are correct, if you want to work on your car in the dark while the engine is running it would be difficult to do!

Quick Reply: Headlight Auto / off confusion