Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Gas Fume Odor 2014 CX-5

Old 07-27-2018, 11:16 PM
Default Gas Fume Odor 2014 CX-5

Greetings!

My wife and I own a 2014 Mazda CX-5, Grand Touring trim, that we purchased in July, 2017, from a dealership in Las Vegas. Carfax was clean. Approx. 4-5 weeks ago and for the first time since we bought it, we started to notice a lite gasoline odor immediately after filling the tank (we never overfill) which came primarily from the rear of the car but was also noticeable around the front exterior and even throughout the cabin. This was noticed after we left the gas station and persisted throughout the day. The fume odor became much stronger after parking in the garage, so we left the garage door open that night.

The following day, we made an appointment at the dealership as the vehicle is still under warranty. We took the car in, I reported the symptoms in detail and the front desk technician said he's seen a half dozen cars in the past 2-3 days for this issue and that it has to do with the ambient heat in Las Vegas at the time, which was slighlty north of 110 degrees F. He seemed very confident and tried to talk me out of having the vehicle looked at as I would have to pay a diagnostic fee if nothing was wrong. As we had a 500 mile round-trip vacation planned and the smell was really quite strong, I opted to have it looked at and agreed to pay the fee. I didn't have this problem in July of 2017 when temps were just as high nor have I ever had this problem with any vehicle I've owned or been around in the past 15 years here.

They ran a battery of tests which included a "fuel leak/checkdown" (I'm probably misquoting it a bit but I'll happily post the invoice here if requested) and everything came back negative. He said there's a vapor release mechanism that is especially active when it's hot out which seems to check out to me. So this was approx. 4.5 weeks ago and while we've had no incidents, the smell has come and gone over this time period to varying degrees. Fast forward to today and the smell is as strong as ever, as is our ambient temps (113 or so). It's so strong that if I close the garage, it absolutely reeks and I consequently will not keep it in the garage as we have a gas water heater and it just doesn't "feel" safe (though I am as far from a car guru as one could be). I can actually smell gas in the house when the car is in the garage and the garage back door is briefly opened.

I apologize for the excessive length of this thread but I wanted to get some opinions on this. We have 2 kids 4 years and under and I'm obviously concerned about their safety. Thank you SO MUCH in advance for any thoughts you can provide!

Best regards,
Danny & Family

Edit: This is probably obvious but there is no visible leak coming from the car. =)

Old 11-22-2018, 09:59 AM

This dealership should verify that the fuel filler neck recall has been performed. Yours is the same year as our CX-5. We have had that recall serviced along with the tailgate struts replaced. Both apply to our vehicles. If you can smell gas as you're describing you should be able to see where it's coming from. On another vehicle we owned before this one, there was a leak in the fuel tank that was only evident when the tank was more than half full. The leak was on the top of the tank.

Old 07-02-2021, 09:20 PM
Default I have the same issue

07/02/2021

I just brought in my 2017 CX-5 into the Mazda dealership off of Sahara because I smelled an odd smell much like gasoline or paint thinner. I was told this is normal for the CX-5 and that it's the regulator that is working overtime due to the heat. However, he said this was normal and that the fumes are not combustible. Somehow, I feel this can't be entirely true. I just can't imagine the strong odor being an acceptable side effect for a Mazda CX-5. And why only the CX-5 in contrast to any other Mazda or any other vehicle on today's market.

I am probably going to make another appointment and ask they run diagnostics and change any component related to gas fumes.

My wife and I own a 2014 Mazda CX-5, Grand Touring trim, that we purchased in July, 2017, from a dealership in Las Vegas. Carfax was clean. Approx. 4-5 weeks ago and for the first time since we bought it, we started to notice a lite gasoline odor immediately after filling the tank (we never overfill) which came primarily from the rear of the car but was also noticeable around the front exterior and even throughout the cabin. This was noticed after we left the gas station and persisted throughout the day. The fume odor became much stronger after parking in the garage, so we left the garage door open that night.

The following day, we made an appointment at the dealership as the vehicle is still under warranty. We took the car in, I reported the symptoms in detail and the front desk technician said he's seen a half dozen cars in the past 2-3 days for this issue and that it has to do with the ambient heat in Las Vegas at the time, which was slighlty north of 110 degrees F. He seemed very confident and tried to talk me out of having the vehicle looked at as I would have to pay a diagnostic fee if nothing was wrong. As we had a 500 mile round-trip vacation planned and the smell was really quite strong, I opted to have it looked at and agreed to pay the fee. I didn't have this problem in July of 2017 when temps were just as high nor have I ever had this problem with any vehicle I've owned or been around in the past 15 years here.

They ran a battery of tests which included a "fuel leak/checkdown" (I'm probably misquoting it a bit but I'll happily post the invoice here if requested) and everything came back negative. He said there's a vapor release mechanism that is especially active when it's hot out which seems to check out to me. So this was approx. 4.5 weeks ago and while we've had no incidents, the smell has come and gone over this time period to varying degrees. Fast forward to today and the smell is as strong as ever, as is our ambient temps (113 or so). It's so strong that if I close the garage, it absolutely reeks and I consequently will not keep it in the garage as we have a gas water heater and it just doesn't "feel" safe (though I am as far from a car guru as one could be). I can actually smell gas in the house when the car is in the garage and the garage back door is briefly opened.

I apologize for the excessive length of this thread but I wanted to get some opinions on this. We have 2 kids 4 years and under and I'm obviously concerned about their safety. Thank you SO MUCH in advance for any thoughts you can provide!

Best regards,
Danny & Family

Edit: This is probably obvious but there is no visible leak coming from the car. =)[/QUOTE]

Old 07-02-2021, 10:35 PM

Since the era of closed and Federally regulated emission fuel systems about say 1995 when OBDII was standard ECU communication port, Gas fumes are NOT normal. The dealership or service shop should have used a "sniffer" (gas fume detector) and also checked for any pending DTC along with the state of readiness in your monitors by using a MAZDA or Snap-on or similar high quality professional Scan Tool at the diagnostic connector.

Last edited by Callisto; 07-02-2021 at 10:40 PM.
Old 11-22-2021, 11:33 AM

Hi, was this issue ever resolved?

Last edited by paulbert; 11-22-2021 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-17-2021, 02:43 PM

Maybe. There should be no gas smell around the engine compartment on any car as modern as the earliest CX5. If you were talking about a 1948 Chevy you might smell a whiff from the carb sometimes. If gas fumes can escape then maybe excessive air can get in, hence the sluggishness. Do find your receipt and tell us what o-ring was replaced? Maybe it isn’t the 0-ring but the two surfaces it is supposed Nox Vidmate VLC to seal are not right.