Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel system three-step service

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2022, 10:37 AM
Default Fuel system three-step service

I had my 2021 CX-5's tires rotated (for free!) today at Pep Boys. It was the car's second tire rotation and was done at 14,733 miles. The service tech recommended their three-step fuel system service, which is described online as follows:

1 STEP
Fuel Service
Breaks down fuel deposits & protects entire fuel system. Restores/maintains fuel economy & engine performance. Recommended at each oil change interval to prevent corrosion & fuel deposits.
as low as $19.95

2 STEP
Intake & Fuel Service
Professional-grade Air Intake Service (for GDI & port injected engines). Breaks down deposits on intake valves, manifolds, fuel injectors, and combustion chambers. Restores flow to injectors.
as low as $79.95

3 STEP
Induction & Fuel Service
Complete, professional-grade fuel system, injection & air induction service! All benefits of 2-Step Fuel Service plus a concentrated fuel rail/injector service! Restores flow to injectors, reduces harmful exhaust emissions & helps prevent drivability problems.
as low as $129.95
Cynic that I am, I'm guessing that the free tire rotation is just a come-on so they can find problems and upsell services. Am I on-base? (I love the creative "helps prevent drivability problems" on #3!)

Since nothing like that is recommended by Mazda, I declined and thanked them for the free tire rotation. They quickly offered $30 off the price of the full service, but I stood firm.

So my question: Is fuel system service like that beneficial at 15,000 miles? Or perhaps at higher mileage? In the absence of fuel system problems or poor mileage, my guess is No. My CX-5 runs GREAT.

Milt Baker, Pompano Beach,FL

Old 10-18-2022, 12:39 PM

If you are using top tier fuel #1 Chevron then Shell both of these will help clen the fuel injection system rather well. I can't really say about other fuel because it may trigger debate. ha! The trick however is to find one and be religous about useing it only or as often as you can.
I will add occasionally fuel additives that show "JET FUEL" as some of their ingredients, naturally Chevron Fuel additive and I stay clear of anything with methanal as a fuel injection cleaner.

The service they offer is beneficial but more perhaps after about 7-10 years of operation or 100k miles. And if you have any DTC that is fuel injection related and may be cause by the use of low-grade fuel suppliers.

Side note: Whie PEP Boys does fairly good service work, I would still as a precaution double check you wheel lug-nut for the proper torque value as well early in the morning before the sun hits your tires check the tire pressure. Just to be sure!

Last edited by Callisto; 10-18-2022 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-21-2022, 09:48 AM

Many thanks for your good counsel, Callisto. I make it a point to use Chevron, Shell and a couple of other top national brands, so I'll give the fuel system three-step service a miss.

MiltB