Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front drive noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 08:38 PM
Default Front drive noise

About a month ago I bought a used 2014 CX5, AWD, with 58,000 miles. I have been loving the car since then. But today it started making a noise from the front drive train. It is a clicking or more like a rapid knocking noise from about 20 mph and up. Louder when I let off gas, diminishes when I accelerate, and goes away completely on braking. I believe it is coming from the left front axle or wheel bearing. Can anyone help with diagnosing this, and what it takes to fix it?
Thanks.

Old 03-03-2019, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Pfestus1
About a month ago I bought a used 2014 CX5, AWD, with 58,000 miles. I have been loving the car since then. But today it started making a noise from the front drive train. It is a clicking or more like a rapid knocking noise from about 20 mph and up. Louder when I let off gas, diminishes when I accelerate, and goes away completely on braking. I believe it is coming from the left front axle or wheel bearing. Can anyone help with diagnosing this, and what it takes to fix it?
Thanks.
It sounds like you may have a constant velocity joint going bad. If there is grease on one of the flexible covers (there is one on each end of each front axle) that's probably the problem. Sometimes the covers get torn. If that's the case, most shops can install a rebuilt front axle.

Old 03-10-2019, 08:58 AM

Problem resolved. LOOSE LUG NUTS!
Apparently some one did not properly torque the lug nuts on the left front wheel. Once those were tightened and torqued, problem went away. Simple fix.

Old 03-10-2019, 09:35 PM

While that's a bit aggravating, at least it was a cheap fix!

Old 03-10-2019, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Pfestus1
Problem resolved. LOOSE LUG NUTS!
Apparently some one did not properly torque the lug nuts on the left front wheel. Once those were tightened and torqued, problem went away. Simple fix.
You're lucky that you had no symptoms other than noise. A few years ago, a local Toyota dealership did not tighten the lug nuts on my 4Runner right rear wheel. The wheel came off just down the street from the dealership. They had to put a new hub and studs on and replace a custom wheel. Luckily, no other damage. To their credit, they acknowledged the problem immediately and took care of all repairs, but I was without the vehicle for a while while they sourced the wheel.