Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EPB issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2022, 07:59 PM
Default EPB issue

Recently I was driving through the mountains when my tire pressure light went on. I pulled over to check the pressure in each tire and noticed one tire felt extremely hot. When I checked it with my infrared thermometer that wheel was 425 degrees while the others were around 118. I let it cool down and then drove to a nearby mechanic who said since it was no longer hot, and everything looked fine, there was nothing for them to do. I reset the tire pressure light and continued on. A few weeks later the same back right wheel was grinding. I take off the brake pads and one is worn down to the metal and the other looks looks almost new and the rotor is gouged. I replace the rotor and brake pads and when I try to take the car out of maintenance mode the EPB button won’t stop flashing, the red brake light is on, and the maintenance mode light is on. I have checked the caliper, the motor, I’ve tried disconnecting the battery, nothing is working. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?

Old 11-04-2022, 09:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Weiss
Recently I was driving through the mountains when my tire pressure light went on. I pulled over to check the pressure in each tire and noticed one tire felt extremely hot. When I checked it with my infrared thermometer that wheel was 425 degrees while the others were around 118. I let it cool down and then drove to a nearby mechanic who said since it was no longer hot, and everything looked fine, there was nothing for them to do. I reset the tire pressure light and continued on. A few weeks later the same back right wheel was grinding. I take off the brake pads and one is worn down to the metal and the other looks looks almost new and the rotor is gouged. I replace the rotor and brake pads and when I try to take the car out of maintenance mode the EPB button won’t stop flashing, the red brake light is on, and the maintenance mode light is on. I have checked the caliper, the motor, I’ve tried disconnecting the battery, nothing is working. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?
What year? How many miles? Which position is the problem child? Sounds like you have two problems. How to reset back from maintenance mode, and wonky epb motor or stuck caliper piston(s) that caused the pad & rotor distruction.

Edit: Sorry, looks like its the right rear thats acting up

Old 11-05-2022, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by ctbale
What year? How many miles? Which position is the problem child? Sounds like you have two problems. How to reset back from maintenance mode, and wonky epb motor or stuck caliper piston(s) that caused the pad & rotor distruction.

Edit: Sorry, looks like its the right rear thats acting up
It is a 2016 with about 90,000 miles on it

Old 11-05-2022, 10:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Weiss
It is a 2016 with about 90,000 miles on it
So probably original brake fluid. My guess is the caliper piston got stuck from contaminated brake fluid causing corrosion to the piston/bore and smoked your pads and rotor because the Piston couldn't retract back into the bore. If it was my car I might be considering both rear calipers. I never just do one. I always do everything the same on the "axle". The maintenance mode reset issue is another problem which I don't have a lot of experience with.