Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E15 - Soon They Will Be Shoving this Sh_t Down Your Throat

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2022, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by diehard888
I mentioned earlier , and am standing by the fact that whats occuring is this new formulation E15 may be " allowed " to be made and I can find nothing stating that it will replace existing blends - The reason stated is to " lower fuel costs " - Therefore , those of who choose may still need to pay top $$$ to get the good stuff - but I think this is a bit of an over reaction -
- just sayin-
What the change does is allow the 2% or so of gas stations nationally who sell E15 to sell it during the summer when it is normally banned because it produces more pollution when the weather is warm. Those who don't sell it, probably won't start.

Old 04-15-2022, 08:17 AM
CEB

Originally Posted by schmieg
What the change does is allow the 2% or so of gas stations nationally who sell E15 to sell it during the summer when it is normally banned because it produces more pollution when the weather is warm. Those who don't sell it, probably won't start.
Good to know. Thanks

Old 04-17-2022, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by CEB
I just hung up with Mazda factory customer service. They confirmed using E15 in a Mazda is a no go. I'm reading on internet that many (most) manufacturers approve of using E15. Is Mazda behind in technology?
So then back to my point- they may be out of date but what are we going to do? Not drive until it goes away- this was a failure on Mazda's part- in todays enviro crazy world this was always possible.

Old 04-17-2022, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by CEB
I just hung up with Mazda factory customer service. They confirmed using E15 in a Mazda is a no go. I'm reading on internet that many (most) manufacturers approve of using E15. Is Mazda behind in technology?
While "most" manufacturers may approve of using E15 (or E85 as it is also known), they don't necessarily approve it for use on all of their models and there are many older cars on the road that cannot use it. My understanding is that modifying the engine to use it is not a simple nor inexpensive proposition.

Old 04-17-2022, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by schmieg
While "most" manufacturers may approve of using E15 (or E85 as it is also known), they don't necessarily approve it for use on all of their models and there are many older cars on the road that cannot use it. My understanding is that modifying the engine to use it is not a simple nor inexpensive proposition.

E15 is 15% ethanol. E85 is 85% Ethanol. Basically, just a little gasoline mixed in. The gasoline part is mostly for tax reasons. You can make your own E85 with a still. You have to denature it before you can leave your property but the 15% of gasoline will do that for you.

Old 04-18-2022, 06:29 AM

I've never put ethanol gas in my CX-5 and I won't as long as I can find it. I don't drive it everyday and ethanol degrades so much faster than non-ethanol that I feel better not using E10 let alone E15. I'm not looking forward to the day when it's not available.
I had a flex-fuel Subaru that I'd looked forward to keeping forever, but it was a lemon. I'm going to baby my Mazda as long as the government will let me.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-18-2022 at 06:33 AM.
Old 04-18-2022, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I've never put ethanol gas in my CX-5 and I won't as long as I can find it. I don't drive it everyday and ethanol degrades so much faster than non-ethanol that I feel better not using E10 let alone E15. I'm not looking forward to the day when it's not available.
I had a flex-fuel Subaru that I'd looked forward to keeping forever, but it was a lemon. I'm going to baby my Mazda as long as the government will let me.

A few years ago, E-0 was only available at "Off Road" pumps. They have now started putting road tax on it and it's becoming more available. It costs more, about like Premium, but it is becoming more widely available. I keep some around for my mower and other mobile equipment.

Old 04-18-2022, 11:28 AM

The gasoline part is mostly for tax reasons.
I don't think so. The gasoline is added for starting purposes. Ethanol doesn't have the vapor
pressure gasoline does so winter/cold weather starting works better with the added gasoline.
The tax rate for Ethanol may be different but I'm sure the government puts a road tax on any fuel
on road vehicles use.

​​​​​​​My 2¢

Old 04-18-2022, 01:51 PM
BWJ
Old 04-18-2022, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dennis Wendt
I don't think so. The gasoline is added for starting purposes. Ethanol doesn't have the vapor
pressure gasoline does so winter/cold weather starting works better with the added gasoline.
The tax rate for Ethanol may be different but I'm sure the government puts a road tax on any fuel
on road vehicles use.

My 2¢

The gasoline definitely helps get the engine going. The original Model T was introduced before gasoline became readily available in rural areas so Henry Ford designed the engine to actually run on alcohol. It's less powerful, but any gasoline engine, at least the non-computerized ones, can run straight alcohol with carburetor and timing changes.

​​​​​​​I don't know about different states, but by adding 15% gasoline, you are paying taxes. The state (Indiana) may not be happy about paying less taxes, but you ARE paying taxes.You aren't guilty of tax evasion.