Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Things I don't like about my new CX-5 Carbon

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2022, 04:18 PM
Default Things I don't like about my new CX-5 Carbon

- All USB ports are in the center storage bin. This means if you install a phone holder (Pro Clip) you need to run the USB cord along the center console to the phone for Android Auto use
- The center cup holders are so far back you have to turn and reach back to your right hip to get to your cup
- The leather seats are a bit hard
- There is no constant clock display unless you turn on the entertainment system

Other than that, very nice car.

Old 03-07-2022, 05:09 PM

I do agree for the most part. The usb and cup holder are not a huge issue for me, my previous VW was configured the same. The clock isn't a problem per se for me either. I typically have it on the entertainment screen on Spotify and the clock is in the upper right corner of the screen. The seats do bother me the more miles I put on. I got mine with 1 mile a little over a week ago and it turned 1000 today. I did order a Swoosh seat cushion this afternoon, will see if that helps.

Old 03-18-2022, 05:51 PM

CE due in early to mid April. The cup holder and USB location is something I'm already not looking forward to. But hoping the rest of the car wows us ! Looking online on Amazon I found clips for the phones that went by the air vent. The location looks a little better than where the proclip shows it goes. We are coming from a pro clip in her volvo which we loved. How do you like the proclip in the CX5?

Old 03-19-2022, 10:48 AM

Is yours a 2021 or a 2022? Have seen previous complaints about uncomfortable seats, both on being too hard and also the shape, but there were reports the seats would be improved for 2022. Did you have an opportunity to compare earlier years with 2022 on this issue?

Old 03-20-2022, 01:12 PM

I fixed one of my complaints about mine this weekend. Hood struts are really nice instead of the cheap prop rod. Got on Amazon for less than $40

Old 03-21-2022, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Yankee
- All USB ports are in the center storage bin. This means if you install a phone holder (Pro Clip) you need to run the USB cord along the center console to the phone for Android Auto use
- The center cup holders are so far back you have to turn and reach back to your right hip to get to your cup
- There is no constant clock display unless you turn on the entertainment system

These are all valid ha!
I guess with the USB port, the idea is to hook up your phone to Android/CarPlay or the vehicle's bluetooth system and let the phone sit in the storage compartment vs being used.
Can't argue with you on the cup placement, but i'm bothered less cuz I have an issue with hydration lol
Seats look great, but firm (most performance oriented?). I've got an old RX ('04) and it's like sitting on a couch compared to my CX5, but it's also been a vehicle aimed for luxury and cushiness.

Old 03-21-2022, 02:54 PM

I have a 2021 Mazda CX-5 GT Reserve, with 1600 miles so far.
I hate that the car has "2 driver memory" for seat position, however, each driver cannot store different music channel presets. Also, each driver cannot store different side view mirror settings. It would cost little to add these functionalities.

Old 03-21-2022, 03:24 PM

I forgot to add, the cup holders by the ***** and buttons for the infotainment center scar the crap out of me.

Old 03-25-2022, 04:08 AM
Default 787b

Originally Posted by Yankee

I jumped in my 2010-3 2.5 gt and remembered why I have been buying Mazdas for decades. Then into the old 96 - Rx-7 - wholly Moses - go carts that ripped for low $$$- Mazdas historically are built for people that are looking for a pure driving experience -

They way they drive, the attention to things that most people arent aware of or dont care about .... - Its overall balance of power , steering imput and connection to the road - its why I continue to buy and keep many of my old Mazdas - They feel hand built , and always leave me wanting to drive more , like someone who loves driving built each one - few other cars match a Mazda in cost , vs the amout of engineering $$s put into the driving experience - most often people complain about things like , " suspension to firm " which to most I say ...good ! Mazda has not forgotten their roots - and I recall the brand staying alive in America by piggbacking on a more prominent name main dealers , and using them as the brick and mortar local to sell cars ...a desk , a poster and possibly 2 salespeople in an Audi Subaru , VW or other dealer- low key , underdog , driver enthusiast vehicles , for people w/o a porsche budget - If you grabbed a 96 Rx- you own history , and many other great underappreciated cars they built - I could care less if Mazda ripped all the tech garbage out of the new cars and went back 100% to their roots -- my old Mazdas never let me forget , what made this brand what it is today ...and why I am loyal - My only " complaint " about our 22CX-5 is its too refined in its drive / but I bought it for my wife , and she loves it - Its still a Mazda , in its driving soul - steering weight , power balance , and fun - its not a 67 cosmo or a Miata - but the Miata tells the story - how does a car with under 200 hp continually ....and I mean every year, make the top 10 sports cars on the planet earth ??? - Well my friends ...it tells you 1 thing for sure ....it aint about horsepower !!! - any company can dump tons of hp / torque into a car , but does that make it great ? obviously NOT !
  • Honestly if tech stuff is the most important thing - Mazda may not be the car 4 U - I love the cars , the story and the fact that in 1991 - Mazda SMOKED Ferrari, Porsche , Mbz and all the other european cars in the greatest race in the world with the 787B in Le Mans - and it was the smallest engine of all the entries that year- and the next year they ganged up on Mazda to ban the rotary engine as " unfair ". sissies - great cars , great company - today one of the last to have taken gas conbustion and a real gearbox mated together , at the highest level of engineering, no hybrid , no cvt - the real deal - that may end after this year - but hey - who else does what they do for the $$$ ?

Old 03-25-2022, 07:45 AM

When my wife came to this country, her first job was a nanny. The family had her drive the kids around in a Volvo. We were looking to replace her Honda Civic that her son totaled in 2019. I stumbled on a Volvo and joked. Then she told me the story of it being her first car she drove here and it was always a dream. I scoured the internet and found a sweet deal on a 2015.5 low mileage S60. She loved that car and so did I. It was luxurious yet FUN to drive. Well I got rear ended in early Feb and the Volvo got totaled out. She thought about replacing it with another Volvo but one thing she didn't like was the specter of a big repair bill always looming in your head. We had a few maintenance items we did that cost more than she expected. So we are looking for cars, looking for cars. One problem is I have bad back and knees and have issues to get in/out of cars. The Volvo I didnt have an issue. The Mazda 3 I did. So she tried the CX5. She said she felt ALOT like she was back in the Volvo. Comfortable luxury like cabin, fun driving experience and what we hope is a more reliable long term experience too. Even some of the things that people ding on the Mazda, like remote start through the app, well the Volvo was the same way LOL. She should take delivery in a couple of weeks and I'm not sure who is more exited with her choice. Me or her.

Quick Reply: Things I don't like about my new CX-5 Carbon