Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

2.5L fuel pump

Old 11-16-2012, 02:21 PM
Default 2.5L fuel pump

How can I test the fuel pump with a multi meter? Is it true it can be replaced without dropping the tank?

Old 11-16-2012, 05:36 PM

How can I test the fuel pump with a multi meter?

you can only test for continuity or voltage with a multi meter. this will not tell you if the pump is pumping.

Is it true it can be replaced without dropping the tank?

yah, you can cut a hole in the tank. but then the tank is useless. whomever told you that the tank dont have to come off has their head up their butt, and you need to avoid them

Old 11-16-2012, 08:48 PM

My car is a 1998 and I was told that for 97 you don't have to so I figured it would be the same. I am going to do this myself in the garage. First time I will be doing this. I assume I just have to loosen the bolts on the straps to drop the tank unless there is something else I should do? Any help would be appreciated

Old 11-17-2012, 12:18 AM

Put a jack under the tank with a large board on top of the jack to help support the tank as you release the straps, you dont want it to fall out and rip all the lines and wires. Pay attention to the condition of the straps, if you live in an area that uses salt in the winter the straps may be so corroded that you will need new ones as well.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Francisco Manuel Reyes
My car is a 1998 and I was told that for 97 you don't have to so I figured it would be the same. I am going to do this myself in the garage. First time I will be doing this. I assume I just have to loosen the bolts on the straps to drop the tank unless there is something else I should do? Any help would be appreciated
it dont matter WHAT year your car is, and it dont matter if it is a 2.3 or a 2.5. you CANNOT remove the pump unless you drop the tank. whomever told you it can be done has NEVER done that job, and has his head up his ***. go ahead, try it. oh, and when you finally realize you gotta drop the tank, dont forget to remove the rear seat and disconnect all the electrical connections. instead of guessing, and listening to hearsay, why dont you get a fsm? you can download one for free. while it is for a 96, there is very little difference in all the years

here are several pics of the fuel tank:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/01-02-MAZDA-...2bb335&vxp=mtr

pic #3 best shows you where the fuel pump is. see the hole right next to the fuel filter? when you pull the cover for the filter access in your trunk, you will see what i mean. it is the same on all models, 2.3 or 2.5. if you can get to the fuel pump thru the access door to the filter, you are a better man than i, gunga din. and please post pics for all of us who have tried.

Last edited by keninn; 11-18-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:08 AM

Well you COULD do it with the tank in the car, I didn't drop the tank on my Saab I had, I just cut a big hole in the floor and made my own pump door Only did this because the tank straps were rusting badly and I couldn't afford to replace them at the time. Of course this all depends on how your tank is designed and where on the floor pan you would have to cut, dont want to cut a support member from inside. Your best bet is to still drop the tank.