Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CX5 Diesel engine issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Thrustco
I am feeling slightly more relaxed about the situation. I am suspecting that the problems are more from the local dealer than the car. The head office feel that there is no problem with the camshaft and turbo, just minor wear perhaps (certainly there was no indication of a problem from my perspective), so they have asked the dealer to go back to the original plan which was to check the head gasket. I am hopeful that I might get my car back, working, and even that Mazda will cover the costs because of the shame and embarrassment caused by incompetence. Well, I can but hope. At least now they seem to be understanding and acknowledging what I have been indicating to them for some time, that they have a dealer issue in my area. Thank you for your help and responses, it's a great help to have a disinterested party to speak to.
Would be keen to know how you get on. We are currently going through the same thing. In the shop getting head gasket checked. Had the issue of radiator cap failing to. Bit worried after looking into problem on line and finding its common. Mazda in the Bay of Plenty sure haven’t let on its a known issue just wanted us to pay $5k to do head gasket with no guarantee problems fixed. Did find that they provided a fix in some cases of de tuning by way of computer but don’t see that as a fair resolution.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

Early 2.2 skactiv diesel engines are known to have faulty head gaskets, along with a high rate of failure of radiator caps.

Pretty much every diesel CX-5 that turns up at a dealership in Australia with these well known engine issues ends up with a new engine & turbo. Seems Mazda NZ needs to pick up their game.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:13 PM

I'll keep you posted on this. After 2 months I have my car back, driving well, but still the smell of burnt coolant. I'm rigging up a collector to see if it is still pushing coolant out of the overflow, but maybe they just didn't bother cleaning the old coolant off. My communications with the service engineer at Mazda in Auckland stopped after I got him to admit reluctantly that the problem happens in New Zealand, having blamed the common occurrence in Thailand, Taiwan, and Australia on the weather. (Yes, really!). I asked him what it should cost to change a head gasket and he went silent. So I wrote to the CEO of Mazda NZ asking him to reply telling me Mazda would pay for it. He didn't even have the courtesy to respond at all. I'm just sitting here till the end of the month to see if they do or not.

Old 08-13-2019, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Thrustco
I'll keep you posted on this. After 2 months I have my car back, driving well, but still the smell of burnt coolant. I'm rigging up a collector to see if it is still pushing coolant out of the overflow, but maybe they just didn't bother cleaning the old coolant off. My communications with the service engineer at Mazda in Auckland stopped after I got him to admit reluctantly that the problem happens in New Zealand, having blamed the common occurrence in Thailand, Taiwan, and Australia on the weather. (Yes, really!). I asked him what it should cost to change a head gasket and he went silent. So I wrote to the CEO of Mazda NZ asking him to reply telling me Mazda would pay for it. He didn't even have the courtesy to respond at all. I'm just sitting here till the end of the month to see if they do or not.
We have had a response from Mazda New Zealand regarding the replacement of the head gasket after sending them an email with references to web pages relating to the issue globally and insisting they cover the costs associated with these issues they have agreed to cover the costs. We told them that my mother in law purchased one at the same time, they said they cant fix it if its not broken, but have agreed to put it on record and will cover it should the problem arise. We mentioned we had had contact with someone in Gisborne with the same issue. They thought they knew who it was and said they will pay for theirs as well so it may pay to contact them while its still fresh. Thanks for the info and fingers crossed Mazda follow through. Good on them if they do.

Old 08-20-2019, 03:52 PM

I am just enquiring what country you are in as I have a similar problem with carbon in the oil and leaky fuel injectors. Mines a diesel 2.2 2013. I am in NZ

Old 08-20-2019, 04:04 PM

Apologies I just realized these are all Auss and NZ. I have had two oil issues and now leaky fuel injectors.

Old 08-20-2019, 04:22 PM

The leaky injectors seem to be the starting point in the problem. Yours sounds on the surface like a classic case of this well documented problem. And yes, I am in NZ.

Old 08-21-2019, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Emma Pearce
Apologies I just realized these are all Auss and NZ. I have had two oil issues and now leaky fuel injectors.
Mazda have come to the party and are covering the cost of fixing it including head gasket. They know of the problem but try and down play it. They initially offered to pay 11% but we turned that down. You do need to push hard and put the evidence in front of them. Good luck

Old 08-21-2019, 02:03 AM

That's great news. I have been met with a wall of silence when I started to get too demanding, but this news certainly helps. Did you deal directly with Mazda NZ or did you manage a result through your local dealer?

Old 08-24-2019, 01:05 AM
RPH

Hi all, recently I've brought a 2013 2.2 CX5 and unfortunately had to replace the turbo unit. Wish I had of done some more research before purchasing... Keen to know what the early signs of the head gasket issue are please.

Quick Reply: CX5 Diesel engine issues